Footsies?

I don’t really get footsies… I read some articles on sonic hurricane but I still don’t get it. I’ve picked up Ryu to step away from Juri for a bit to just learn the basics… (because I just got super and just started getting serious 3 weeks ago).

Well… I’m still confused… is this something you learn naturally by playing? or do you have to learn? or both?

I feel that if I learn footsies, it’d contribute a whole lot to my game play.

Can someone explain this concept to me? Thanks ;D

I’m still new, and I’m still learning.

Start with chapter one’s info from sonichurricane. Footsies are just tactics, you learn as you go and you practice them. I’m no master but I’m just using my common sense here. Easiest one is to bait sweeps, if your opponent is a sweeper. Start whiffing something like Ryu’s c. lk and mk just a pixel out of their reach- this includes their reach on reversal specials and see what they do. If they try something, punish em for it. For Example, if they do sweep, they are pretty much open from above. So this would allow you to jump in hp over the sweep, st. hp, and then go into any special or even his ultra if you were to cancel an srk and you had the meter for it. Another less flashy way would be to focus guard it and let the attack crumple then then go up and throw. You could then try one of Ryu’s meaty attacks into a shakunetsu (red fireball), which would knock down again. It’s all about making them mess up while at the same time opening your opportunities up for damage. Using this and fienting (making yourself falsely vulnerable then punishing) eventually, in theory,(because some opponents will just keep doing the same thing over and over) trains an opponent to stop doing things like poking at mid range, it makes them cautious, and when they are cautious you can do some bonkers stuff like run straight up and throw and/or do ume’s/valle’s fadc uppercut to metsu. But enough theory fighter, go and practice! :3

-Speaking of valle, I’m sure he’d be glad to help. His username here is Calipower, it’s the same for xbl etc.

you can read maj handbook but you won’t be able to apply most of what you read right away. yeah, just start with chapter one for a while.

anyways, an important part of footsies is learning the maximum range on your best normals. if your normals have longer range than other characters, you are at an advantage when it comes to footsies. ryu’s c.mk is not the longest poke but it has decent reach. footsies will be more difficult against characters with a longer reaching poke than your c.mk, like bison.

Yup. start at level one, part one, and no warp zones haha. Ch. one’s beginning stuff you can apply pretty easily, especially fakes.
Also an easy faint would be to jump in just out of, say Sagat’s super/ultra 1 range when he’s looking to use it. OR walk in and out of dash punch range vs Balrog, dash out quickly when he does it, then focus or sweep. OR you can do a tactic that even Daigo’s been doing for a while , which is jump back hk when he does that. There’s a good chance it will hit during the recovery frames of his dash p.

The main thing to start going from basic poking to basic footsies is not just knowing the maximum range at which your pokes will hit, but also knowing the minimum range at which they will whiff, and how those whiffs will interact with the ranges of your opponent’s pokes.

If you understand those kinds of distances, as well as the speed of your various moves, you can do stuff like:

• Whiff a light attack to bait a whiffed low medium kick from your opponent, then punish with a low medium kick of your own (that you were JUST in range for because the opponent extended their hitbox towards you)
  • Walk up and bait a roundhouse that you predictively focus absorb, dash cancel forward and throw them out of their recovery
  • Walk backwards out of a stuttered pressure string (fishing for a counter hit or a reversal bait) and punish a whiffed low short with your own low short
  • Whiff a light attack just outside throw range to make people flinch into blocking, then walk up or kara throw

What you’re trying to accomplish with footsies is not just to get free damage from counter-poking your opponent’s limbs, but to make your opponent less willing to press buttons, leaving your character with much more freedom to move to their ideal position on-screen and poke, pressure, etc. with impunity.

When your opponent finally gets fed up with letting you do whatever you want and decides to push buttons again, you anticipate and/or react to their presses and go back to counter-poking/punishing them. If you can stay one step ahead in this flowchart against most players, you are in good shape. Depending on the situation (full-screen zoning versus midscreen poking versus defending yourself in the corner) and the character matchup, this can be relaxed or intense, easy or hard.

Of course, a big chunk of footsies is learning how to quickly figure out your opponent’s intentions and tendencies, which can be hard to figure out on the fly against players you don’t know very well. A good experiment to try online to practice your footsies is this:

1. Start the match by blocking. Wait a half second or so after round start to look for a round-start jump or fireball or something along those lines.

2. If the opponent doesn’t twitch after that half second, or does something like jump backwards or walk backwards, start walking forward towards the opponent. Be ready to block at a moment’s notice. Don’t press any buttons yet.

3. Keep walking forward in small bursts (walk, wait for a twitch, walk a bit more) until the opponent either jumps in or throws a move at you. If they do neither of those, throw either a blocked poke or a whiffed light attack at them, then go back to blocking.

4. If they still have room to walk backward away from your pokes, keep playing the walk-wait game. If you’re already in poking range, stay there and block. Keep looking for a vertical or forward jump or a whiffed poke.

5. Play this game of “chicken” as long as you can, getting the opponent as close to the corner as you can before they decide it’s time to jump or hit buttons. This takes a lot of patience and you may not be able to react to the first real move they decide to do (this will go away with practice, don’t worry too much about it), but if you can last longer than your opponent can playing this game of mental chicken, chances are you can get them to make some kind of jumpy mistake that you can capitalize on.

If you successfully walked them to the corner, congratulations, you can now start looking for things you can poke/fireball/Shoryuken, and if you’re a rushdown character, you can start going to work on them. If they escaped, don’t get flustered – just defend yourself conservatively, wait patiently for a knockdown or some other opportunity to regain the initiative, and get ready to try again. Remember, if you practice playing this psyche-out game well, you may only need to play it once to win against the majority of players. Good footsies are the primary avenue to a good, high-quality mindfuck.

^ What this guy said I couldnt explain it any better.

Watch these players in action for a demonstration of basic footsies:
[media=youtube]lat_x6T69B4]YouTube - [SFIV[/media]

Both players dance around at the maximum distance that Ryu’s cr.mk will hit. The purpose of this to get the other player to attempt to poke with cr.mk. If it whiffs, the other player punishes with cr.hk. This is the basic principle behind footsies - use a normal move (or movement) to bait a reaction from your opponent, and then punish them when they miss. Once you understand the principle, you can start figuring out other ways to bait and punish. eg. Instead of punishing the whiffed cr.mk, you can pre-empt it and go for a jump-in or cross-up instead. Footsies extend to throws as a well. eg. Walk up to your opponent as if to throw them, but pull back at the last second. When you see their tech throw attempt whiff, punish them. In SSFIV the tech throw attempt usually manifests itself as a cr.lk, in which case you can just walk up and throw.

You learn them by playing… footsies=controlling space in essence… that’s all I got lol… footsies mostly involves learning the uses of your normals in various situations…

Wow, thanks for the replies guys… I guess I have a better understanding now… but I wouldn’t expect myself to be a master at it yet ;P.

Yeah… I used to sweep a lot… and then my friend told me to use cr.mk instead and sweep less. Now I don’t use sweeps at all and he says that’s not good ;(. So one of the problems I have it learning when to use hadoukens and cr.hk. because so far I’m just using cr.mk hadouken all day.

Still learning when to use each of Ryu’s normals though.

Yep, special thanks to Ben though, for writing that really long response (which I enjoyed reading :wink: ).

Everyone helped :smiley: guess it’s time for me to practice and read more on Sonic Hurricane.

Thanks again!

something i never really understood was, if both characters are looking to punish a slow recovering poke, both players might think to just keep whiffing jabs or shorts outside of the enemy’s longest ranged poke range. in other words, the advantage in footsies goes to the person who reacts to a poke. so it would be to your advantage to keep your spacing outside of their poke range and keep whiffing light attacks to bait their poke. if this happens though the character with the shorter poke will get pushed to the corner, and they’ll get forced to retaliate since this is of course an unfavorable position.

i can see this is gonna open up a whole can of theory fighter, so i’m gonna stop here…

sonic hurricane dot com Footsies Handbook

This link will give you so much footsie information, you may not be able to contain it all. Seriously though, those articles, are some of the most useful write-ups you’ll find.

Not really. One player will eventually try another approach, like throwing a projectile, jumping in/over, or backing off to reset the match.