For those who started with IV, how much do you feel your skills carried over?

Curious what other people’s experience with this has been.

In my limited playtime of during the betas (~3-4 hours each), I was surprised by how awkward it felt for me. It seems like a lot of my success in IV was based on some mechanics that aren’t present in V.

For example, I was good at focusing things on reaction (both offensively and defensively), and that skill alone is something 90% of online players couldn’t deal with so it made sense to concentrate on that.

Another thing is walk up throws. My character (Balrog) has good walk speed, and since he has basically no mixups aside from hit/throw, I got really good at mixing throws in. That seemed much less viable in the beta as walk up throws are pretty obvious.

It even seems I have this distorted view of how footsies work due to the ever-present danger of focus in IV that isn’t there anymore.

Anyway, I look forward to learning SFV but it does kind of feel like starting from square one.

I played Bison from the beginning. I feel like besides the mind numbing yolo EX-Psycho Crusher tendencies, I’ve carried over a fair amount of positive skillset for footsie and whiff punishing.

I liked to jump between different games just to ground myself because they may or may not have had a lot of brain dead hail mary maneuvers that were hard to punish for the characters I chose in them.

I’m ready for Tuesday.

I played mainly cody and yun in iv and i definately have some universal skills that carry over. First of all is general hitconfirming, with cody i confirm of single medium and heavy attacks, i also often look for counterhits to maximize damage.

I learned to play the neutral regardless of my shitty walkspeed. It was less about raw whiff punishment and more gathering data about their button usage and timing which allowed me to counterpoke a lot more effectively.

Frametrapping and conditioning, especially with cody as he has no other ways of opening people.up really. Using tight and big frametraps, setting up the counterhits, and then throw for days.

Another general thing is to properly space my jumps, jumping from distances which will make people hesitate to AA, especially against normal anti airs. Jumps like cody his j.hk and cammy her j.hk made it really easy to do but it works well with most characters.

I REALLY learned how to properly AA while playing yun with uppercuts. Getting thise last second uppercut anti airs out and even autocorrect. I also have a st.lp habit with cody against badly spaced crossups, which works well too in sfv. In general i didnt let people get away with jumps or even crossups. I hate people jumping.

Im pretty good during scrambles, sneaking some quick mixup in while opponent is flustered. Saw it transfered when i played necalli, doing some quick command grabs and frametraps, and cammy using hooligan and ex dive during these.

The distance at which you play neutral in SFV feels closer than in USFIV, and whiff punishing wuth medium attacks is a lot more difficlt, i was thrown off to be honest.
I n beginningn i got blown up for crouchteching, quickly stopped that.

Normally i use a LOT of buttons to apply pressure, in sfv pushback us a lot so i had to find a bit different ways to ext3bd pressure by mixing in more dashes, still trying to get get used to it. Will take a few weeks i guess.

Game felt sluggish in beginning due to moves having more inbetween frames and longer hitfreezes, however the overal flow and pacing is faster than USFIV. The fast dashes help too.

Barely played SF4 to really get a handle on it. Though I did basically learn how to play with Vesper’s tutorials on SF4. Then about a year later SFxT and I ditched SF4. Went back a few times and didn’t like it.

And this is totally fine. I had the same feeling too (after super i quit IV and played a lot more 3s) and i am happy, it means capcom is really making a NEW street fighter.

Started few months before ultra hit with Ibuki, then Mak then Cammy (only one I actually play properly). The character went from rushdown/frametrap/mixup to straight fundamentals so I get what you’re saying.
My first time with SFV was back in Beta2. Everything felt downright horrible until Cammy was unlocked, then it got bearable. Pokes have shorter, more similar range and weird hitboxes, every character’s hurtbox is a rectangle (nothing on arms/legs), walking around felt floaty, pushback is immense etc.
Shit, I still hate how unnatural some moves’ animation feel. Ryu’s jab being a short ranged elbow or he being afraid to extend his leg on his cr.mk. Cammy’s cr.lp being a punch with her right hand while her cr.mp is a punch with front hand aiming at the freaking ground despite not being a low. I get that Capcom wanted to have shorter ranges, but some moves feel stupid.

I still feel like a lot carried over though. Footsies took some time to get used to since the movespeed is weird and hurtboxes are misleading, but anti-airs, mind games and meaty/throw mixups are still the same.

I mained Balrog too in SFIV but due to the aggressive nature of the rushdown and pressure meta that SFIV ended up having, I found myself on the defensive more often than I care to admit and ended up getting blown up a lot.

However, playing Balrog and Chun (my secondary), has taught me how to use proper spacing and footsies to apply pressure, anti air with normals, and block when it is necessary. Thankfully, all of these carried over to SFV and I had a blast in the betas. It only took some getting used to the new combo system and game mechanics, but past that, I had no trouble making the transition. It felt awkward at first since I started in beta 2 and chose Ken initially, but once the other beta characters became playable, I managed to get some time with Chun and other more familiar characters, and I felt right at home.

I used to use the same throw pressure as you did in SFIV and though it’s harder in SFV, it doesn’t bother me so much. Ironically, I ended up playing Nash the most in the betas, but I plan to pick up Chun as well and possibly Balrog once he is released.

PS. Us Balrog mains weren’t spoiled with having a safe reversal option in SFIV or 50/50 mixups and were forced to learn how to play defensively and block; to use normals efficiently or get punished. This is a huge step forward in SFV that gives us the edge over those who learned to DP FADC on wakeup to safety or rely on ambiguous mixups to start their pressure.

USF4 is the first game I ever took seriously. I felt SFV was easier to play and I was having more success. I’m still terrible at combos and punishing and that worries me a lot because it’s probably something I should be better at by now.

But general walking, blocking, spacing, etc. SFV is easier for me.

Footsies and hit confirming were both things i got really good at because of what SFIV forces you to get right. It took me a couple hours to stop trying to triple jab in beta though. Over all I felt like V suited my personality a lot more. The flow of the game is faster but also more strategic making it more about mind games and janken than about combos or jabs.

Well I started with vanilla SF4 and it was the first game i took seriously. However, i then moved on to SFxT, MK9, MvC3, Injustice, TTT2, Soilcalibur 5, MKX and finally GGxrd before coming back to USF4.

I imagine that people who only stick to one game have difficult time adjusting to anything new or different. Street Fighter 5 to me is a mixture of SF4, SFxT, Injustice and KI.

That is very true. When SFV comes I’ll be switching to that exclusively so I’ll get a handle on it eventually, but probably not nearly as fast as players with more games under their belt.

I do think playing one game at a time can be fairly advantageous in that game, not just due to the time factor but also because there’s no cognitive switching.

I know basically nothing about sf4 and that has carried over perfectly to knowing basically nothing about sf5. Flawless

I do agree that it might be easier to close the gap for people that played honest SFIV characters without the crazy option selects and vortex. Balrog and such. Honestly though, I feel like the 4 beta weekends aren’t enough to let go of your SFIV specific habits soI’m sure everyone’s gonna be able to adapt in the first few weeks and lose the bad habits like trying to focus.

It definitely helps to have more games under your belt for experience. When you’ve learned to play a lot of different fighting games, you’ve essentially learned the art of being able to adapt and find how the meta of a game works quickly. When you’ve seriously played one game for a long time you haven’t developed that knack for understanding game metas yet.

Although once you become good at a certain game, you’re best off sticking to it if your goal is to be the absolute best (or at least the absolute best you know you can possibly get to) in it. It’s difficult to be the absolute best in more than 1 or 2 games. Dieminion brought this point up in his interview in that the time you take away from practicing one game will inevitably take away some of your strength in another game if the other top players are grinding just as heavy.

Hi all, new to the forums.

I main Ryu in SFIV. From my experience during the 4th beta, a lot of the fundamentals of his playstyle carried over well to SFV. Things like basic hadoken zoning, ranges for footsies, and a lot of his main bread-and-butter combos seemed pretty much unchanged.

The main things which threw me off were some differences in button ranges (cr.MK seemed a little shorter, and I found that I ended up using neutral HP as a poke in a lot of the situations where I would have tried for cr.MK in SFIV instead), and how much less safe his shoryukens were – whiffing usually resulted in me getting punished a lot harder than I’m used to, and the lack of invincible frames on startup made them more risky in a lot of situations.

Overall, Ryu feels good in this game, a lot of the things which I liked about him in SFIV carried over SFV, and he seems to have a few new options that should make his playstyle more varied and more fun.

I am a pretty noob on SF4 and 5 but i think the game is much more forgiving when you are less accurate on the timing of the combos.

But my Character (RYU) has now so different combos that i have to say it feels like a completely new battle experience.

I am new to this huge fanbase and hope soon a experienced user can post a combo guide for ruy in SF5.
I am overwhelmed from this new features.

Greetings from Germany :wink:

Gouken got me ready

Just use MP shoryuken, it’s Ryu’s shoryuken with invincible frames on startup in SFV.