"Forces stand"

So some moves I notice say “Forces stand” in frame data. I know that when you hit your opponent it will force them to stand, why is this useful? Especially if my opponent is always holding downback the whole time.

Simple example:
Sakura vs. Bison
Cr.MK>EX Tatsu If Bison is ducking, the EX Tatsu will fly over him, leaving Sak open to punishment.
Cr.HP>EX Tatsu If Bison is ducking, Cr.HP will “force stand” on hit, the EX Tatsu connects.

I’ll let you gauge it’s usefulness. Which situation would you rather see happen above?

Like he said, moves that force stand on hit will allow moves that can only hit standing opponents to connect in combos.

Ryu c.HP>lk Tatsu>hp SRK in corner.

Thank you! That was the best example, NOW MY EYES ARE OPEN!

I always wondered about this! Is that “fuzzy guard” thing part of this too? I haven’t been able to understand so well when people talk about that :confused:

Nah, fuzzy guard’s not the same thing…fuzzy guard definitions can be vague depending on the game, but in a very very loose description…it’d be alternating high and low blocks or “mashing block” to cover high/low/overhead possibilities. If someone else can explain it better, please do.

fuzzy guard has an entirely different meaning in SF4, though I can see how it would come up in the same discussion as forces stand.

It refers to how a character who blocks a high attack is forced to stand in that same blocking pose (and keep the same hitbox of a standing character), even if they move the stick to block low.

For example, you jump in on a character with j.HK, they block it high and then move the stick to down-back expecting you to use a low blockstring. Instead, you immediately jump and hit them with another j.HK.

Normally jumping and immediately j.HKing would whiff on a crouching character (they are too short), but since the opponent is still in blockstun from your previous j.HK, their hitbox is large enough to get nailed by the second j.HK. And since their stick is in down-back, they are technically blocking low - so the j.HK hits.

Sounds dangerous, but only a few characters are able to make practical use of it. Using a jumping attack in this manner can even be unsafe depending on the matchup.

Fuzzy guard in other games usually refers to an option select guard. In these games, low attacks are very fast but have low damage payoffs. Suppose a character has a 10 frame low move, and all of their mid moves are at least 15 frames. A fuzzy guard would block low for 14 frames (because the opponent has no moves that are fast enough to hit mid until then), then mid after that.