Frame data question...

So I thought I had a pretty good grasp on frame data, but how come Sagat’s TU has 5 startup frames and 5 invincible frames, but seems to cleanly beat just about anything? Shouldn’t the first hit frame trade a lot more since its not invincible?
:confused:

Typically the uppercuts are invincible for the start-up time, and then hit while invincible for a while. I can’t speak to SFIV, but this is what a tiger uppercut looks like in HDR:
http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/sagat/tujab.html

5f start up, hits on 5th. Last startup frame is first active frame.

So why is it called a startup frame if its an active frame?
Ryus c.lp’s frame data is 3 startup,2 active, 7 recovery.
So its actually…
1f-startup
2f-startup
3f-hit
4f-hit
5f-recovery
6f-recovery
7f-recovery
8f-recovery
9f-recovery
10f-recovery
11f-recovery

?

It does trade fairly often. I think you’ve got it right.

People get mixed up about the word “startup”. What’s important is whether the frames are hitting or non-hitting, invincible or vulnerable, etc.

I’m no SFIV expert, but it sounds like Sagat’s Uppercut is invincible and non-hitting for the 1st 5 frames, hitting and invincible for the 6th frame, and hitting and vulnerable for the rest of the hitting frames. This is just a guess on my part, IDK what the exact frames are, but it would be more clear if people stop using the term “startup”. = J

I wouldn’t take look too deep into the names. That’s just the way it is and I never really questioned it myself.
But taking Sagat’s TU example again…
1f start–invincible
2f start–invincible
3f start–invincible
4f start–invincible
5f active–invincible
6f active–tradeable/vulnerable
7f active–tradeable/vulnerable
8f recovery–and onwards–vulnerable