Frames....

Are frames helpful to learn? Should I put time aside trying to learn them? I hear that they are really helpful.

When I watch streams and people are talking about Frame traps and what not, I feel like you get a bit more of an upper hand if you know things about frames.

(you’d know what to do in a Frame trap, and how to capitalize… etc, etc.)

A million times yes…

Please explain further why?

http://shoryuken.com/f322/basic-frame-data-guide-newbies-238579/

Im not a frame expert, but they are useful.

For example, when Balrog does a rushpunch in, I know Chun Lis super starts up fast enough (only two frames) to punish him on block.

videos explaining:

[media=youtube]rCwWa6GOUUU[/media]
[media=youtube]nmipAe4A3c4[/media]

Frame data is good to know, but not required. Simply knowing frame data will not make you a better player. You can look at frame data and say “In theory, I should be able to beat/punish his Move X with my Move Y.” But testing these scenarios (e.g. different spacings, different timings, different opponent characters, etc…) in training mode and committing them to memory through straight up match experience will always trump raw frame data knowledge.

Frame Data isn’t something you go to school for, it’s something you naturally will build knowledge of when you play more.

You know that a DP punishable, if it’s blocked or whiffed for example. But you know you can’t take forever or else they will recover blah blah blah.
Frame Data just goes very specific, as in how much time you have to punish it.

You get into a situation where both characters are playing footsies, you have a character that has a fast sweep, another character has a slower sweep. This person you’re facing like to sweep a lot, but you know that their sweep takes eons to start up. So you beat them to it and sweep them first. If we hit up frame data, your sweep could have been a 5 frame start-up sweep, and their sweep could have been like 9.

Frame data is good as a resource. For instance, if you’re playing against sakura and keep getting busted up after blocking a tatsu and trying to punish, you can look at the frame data and see that sakura has an advantage after a tatsu, and that you get counterhit because it may look like she’s punishable, but she isn’t. Or if you play against cammy and you keep getting thrown after a blocked spiral arrow, frame data would tell you that you can probably punish and the move is not as safe as it seems.
However, these are both things you could learn by playing a lot. Frame data is a good resource when you want to quickly check for things that aren’t possible more than for what is possible. If you have a 4 frame move, you know it won’t work as a punish to any move that is -3 or better for instance. However, just because you have a 4 frame move doesn’t mean you can punish a move that is -6, you could still be out of range.

You should understand what it means and the terminology. You don’t necessarily need to memorize the statistics of each move, or do all your reversal and punish homework on your own, but understanding the concepts of start up, recovery, active frames etc. will make sure you aren’t in the dark when trying to learn the game.

Start by looking up frame data as you need it. “Hey! Why did I get SPD’d after my standing normal even though I was holding jump?”

Head to the internet to check the frame data, you find your normal left you at -3 on block. That’s a window just large enough for a reversal SPD punish.

Other things I learned from frame data was what in my arsenal could punish Gouken’s dash punches on block, Fei-Long’s Rekkas and Honda’s Buttsmash. These are things I looked up merely because I was curious about the specific moves. Over time, I ended up committing my entire character’s frame data to memory, merely because I ended up referencing it enough.

You don’t need to study it, far from it, but don’t be afraid to look at frame data for answers when you need it. Frame data holds all the answers to what’s punishable with what, along with frame traps and other useful tidbits… in magical spreadsheet format.

frame is good, but it’s not everything. it’s a small part of the whole puzzle.