From Controller to Pad or Stick?

So I’ve been considering making the jump from a XBOX controller to a fightpad or fightstick. But I’m not sure which feels more like a controller. I’d think pad, but most reliable pads use d-pads, and I’m not a big fan of d-pads. A stick has a… stick, but I dunno.

Based on what you said, you’d have to sit down and relearn how to play regardless of whether you choose to use a FightPad or get yourself an arcade stick. If you never really liked D-Pads, there isn’t too much of a point in getting a FightPad if you’re already comfortable using the regular Xbox 360 controller, unless you really want to have 6 buttons on the face of your pad. An arcade stick is about as far away from a controller as you can get. Playing on one is very different from playing on a controller, unless you use some kind of claw grip or rest your controller on your lap and drum the face buttons with your individual fingers. Not to mention, while it does have a “stick” per say, it’s nothing like the analog sticks on a regular controller. They’re more like a glorified D-Pad, and you move the whole stick with your whole hand, wrist, and arm, not just your thumb.

If you’re already comfortable using the regular Xbox 360 controller, you don’t have to feel any pressure or anything to get some kind of fighting game specific controller. Just use what you’re comfortable with. Getting a FightPad or an arcade stick won’t make you better just by having one and you will guaranteed have to spend at least a week or two just to get used to the new controller, during which you may well get frustrated and go back to your Xbox 360 controller anyway. Now I’m not saying don’t get a FightPad or an arcade stick, but if you’re going to make the switch, you have to be aware that you’re going to need to dedicate a bit of time to relearn everything. That’s all.

Which is more accurate: a d-pad or a thumbstick? I have this bad habit of getting :d::h: when I want DPs instead, and I’m curious if, in general, it happens less on d-pads.

Fighting games aren’t made with analog sticks in mind. The only reason people use the analog on Xbox 360 pads is that the digital pad in them (especially older models) is totally garbage.

Well depends on what dpad. I know that Microsoft’s new controllers have upgraded d-pads that are much more accurate than previous controllers. As for the general question it all depends on what you feel most comfortable playing on. Like for me, I played a lot in the arcades years ago so stick feels more natural than pad. Which feels more like a controller? Well a pad naturally, but with that said you don’t like playing on d-pads so may I ask a reason why? If it is something regarding a learning curve for getting used to then you might find yourself in the same situation if you get a stick.

It’s funny you mention DP. I am currently in week 2-3 of my fightstick transition, and it has been the hardest movement for me to get used to by far. When I played on my Dualshock 3 DP was simple, you just wiggle your thumb between the proper direction and ‘down’ and you were set (most likely due to the game’s shortcuts?). If you look in the command list the DP movement is shown as a big Z, and it is exactly how you do it on a stick with a square gate. It took me several hours to get used to the movement as it is easy to go too far back in the other direction, but once you have it in muscle memory it is easy to mash out. It’s pretty satisfying even when you watch your command inputs in training showing up as the correct DP movement, and not a crazy dpad mess.

Since you want something similar to a controller, a pad might be good. I switched to stick in February and forgot how to play with the pad in April. I tested it to begin with because my movements i wanted to do on pad started to feel awkard and uncomfortable. When i first switched i couldn’t do anything literally. Since I adjusted i wont go back for anything.

None of the Above.

Sticks are more accurate but it requires time to develop the muscle memory to use the controller correctly. Very few people become good at sticks overnight, it takes time to practice and training your self to get used to different movements. Because you are using different muscles and joins on a joystick over a d-pad you got to train those muscles.
D-pad vary with each style, brand and manufacturer. To me unless its a Sega, Nintendo or Sony D-pad they tend to be shit.

what’s difficult is switching from happ to sanwa back to happ.

Padtrick plays on stick when he cant play on ps3 pad.

You feel like the hulk going to sanwa from happ.

Since more than one person in this thread is getting this wrong:

A pad is a type of a controller. A stick is also a kind of a controller. Anything you plug into a console to play games is a controller.

Agreed.

The Debate is D-pad vs Joystick
not Stick vs controller

Ether way a game controller is a game controller.

Both as there pros and cons, both are legit means to play as there plenty of pad players who win tournaments just like there players who with using a stick.

Switching from one type to another is tricky as there different joints, and muscles used on both controller styles and the player has to develop the muscle memory

I guess you could call me one of those “very few people” I played on pad for about a year til Christmas 2013 and got a quanba q4 (arguably the best arcade stick). I learned how to play in about 2 weeks and am doing well in my stick adventures. It all seemed to just click. I have beaten all 24 trials for ryu and a couple other characters on stick and have been getting consistent results all around online and offline. Stick clicked for me, it may or may not for others.

I’m going to leave the comment about the Q4 being “arguably the best arcade stick” alone as I would venture to think not everyone (or even a majority) would agree.

If you’re thinking about making the transition, I would recommend getting an arcade stick. Yes, it will take you a little bit to get used to, but learning it will offer quite a few benefits. If you think about it, most arcade sticks are, at the core, the same. Sure, you have your differences with buttons, joysticks and layouts, but once you learn one you’ll be able to play on most others. I have no problems switching between any of my sticks. Hayabusa, JLF, Sanwa (w and w/o silencers), Kuro, semitsu, Viewlix or noir layouts, etc…

One of the best things about learning arcade stick is they don’t change much in-between systems. Unlike with pad, you can play the same layout on every system and not have to adjust to the systems new controller.