Gameplans?

Been playing SSFIVAE ‘properly’ for about 3 months now, been maining Guile for 2 months. I still lose -a lot- but small goals are beginning to seep in to my gameplay, like AA’s, the odd Hit confirmed combo, the occasional correct read, (very) basic footsies.
However, I read a lot of posts saying that a big part of playing SF is having a strong gameplan. I’ve looked through the site, and on the net, and while I find a lot of talk about gameplans I don’t think I quite understand what people mean by a gameplan in context of SF.
How complicated is a gameplan supposed to be? is it something like just trying to force your opponent into the corner? Do veteran players have a fixed idea of what they are going to do before a match even starts? Or is a gameplan much more fluid, short sharp planned exchanges then see where you go from there?
If anyone could provide examples of their gameplans that might be very helpful, 'cos at the moment I’m feeling a bit lost as to the overall metagame of SF.

“Gameplans” are basic strategies and goals for your character, and often vary by matchup. They are fairly simple if you take a top-down approach to them. For example, Ibuki’s basic gameplan might be:

“Get a knockdown and make the enemy guess until they die.”

[FONT=arial]Of course, it’s not quite that linear. Often there are specific tools which will affect how your want to play a match with your character. Ibuki, for instance, plays differently versus fireball characters than non-fireball characters:

Does the enemy have a (good) fireball?
YES: Evade the fireballs, get in, score a knockdown and (…)
NO: Run away with Kunai until a hit is scored, then convert into knockdown and (…)[/FONT]

(…): Do mixups and unblockables that reset into knockdown until the enemy is dead.

Other tools which may affect how you want to structure your gameplan for a given matchup include (but are not limited to):

What kind of anti-air options does the enemy have? (Invincible Special(s) / Normals / Special(s) / None [or nothing good])

How good is my character at sitting on a life lead? How hard is it for my character to regain the lead if behind? What about the opponent? (This is the reason behind the infamous 99-second-downback Honda mirror video; neither player wanted to risk a loss, and Honda can’t really get the lifelead back in the mirror match once he has lost it.

How many games long is this set? How deep into it are we? (You may want to hold back some in the beginning or use sub-optimal options to condition your opponent to behave a certain way for later. Letting everything loose round 1 game 1 is a major problem many online players have at tournaments.)

You play Guile. Your gameplan for most matchups basically becomes: throw sonic boom, anti-air. You could get a more advanced gameplan, but you can live with that one up even up until the intermediate level. There are nuances you can add (i.e. throw sonic boom and follow to gain space) and exceptions you can make (i.e. don’t throw sonic booms with Blanka at mid-range), but they all fall under the same general gameplan. Not all characters’ gameplans will be so simple, but Guile generally has one thing going for him. He’s just really good at it.

Ah, ok. I think I have had some basic gameplans going then. I think I may have been overanalysing/ overcomplicating what I thought a gameplan was. Thanks for the replies dudes. :slight_smile:

to utilize a gameplan to the fullest you first have to get competent and comfortable with the game. so even if you have the correct gameplan, you might still lose a lot or get distracted from your main focus. don’t despair, experience will see you through.

Game plans can be extremely simple, or extremely complicated, and it depends entirely on the matchup. Ryu v. Guile can be a complicated match because both characters have a wide variety of counters to each other. A match like Ryu v. Honda, on the other hand, can be very simple, since Ryu’s primarily trying to zone Honda out.

A gameplan is nothing more than a strategy to deal with your opponent. Initially, you should have some idea of what you’re trying to accomplish based on the matchup. The way you fight a Makoto should be very different from how you would deal with Dhalsim. This is called ‘knowing the matchup’. After that, your strategy may change, depending on what you’ve observed of your opponent, and trying to discern what strengths or weaknesses they may possess. If necessary, you might need to adapt your strategy to counter their strategy based on how well they know their character, the game, your character, as well as their personal playstyle.

In all honesty your probably severly underestimating how deep a gameplan can go, but the level of your gameplan depends directly on your knowledge of the game. So at the beginning your gameplan will be very simple but as you progress it should begin to extend to include things like then current situation of each players meters at the time and how that effects their options and how the current round will effect what happens in the next round.

That makes me even happier. Whilst I understand what you’re saying about how deep a gameplan can go, I have begun to alter my basic strategies based on what I’ve learnt from previous matches with a specific character. What I meant was that it appears I’m at the very start of developing gameplans compared to thinking this morning that I didn’t even understand the concept.
Cheers for the reply dude. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help everyone.
:slight_smile:

A lot of it has to do with downloading ur opponent.