GameWorks Tempe, AZ Fightclub Tournament March 20-22 2009 $1000 Cash Prize Pool

Hi

I have been working with SEGA GameWorks to bring all different types of tournaments to their locations. There is over $1000 in cash prizes and other cool stuff that we will have at this event. Please read the rules below and if you have any questions please ask them on this forum.

Hope to see you there
Brian Matthews

GameWorks Fighting Tournament Rules v1.1

1. Check the Sega Entertainment USA, Inc (?Sega?). website at www.gameworks.com for more specific information about Tournaments.
  2. Players must be verifiably 18 years or older to legally enter a tournament and claim a prize.
  3. A player can only win ONE PRIZE per Tournament.
  4. Tournaments are subject to rules, terms and conditions, and procedures as established by Sega Tournament Officials, federal, state and local laws. Void where prohibited by law.
  5. Tournament Rules, Play Format, and Prizes are subject to change at any time. New or modified rules from SEGA supersede these rules, or any previously posted rules by SEGA.
  6. Any malfunction to the arcade equipment during tournament game play will void all players? scores. Decisions made by SEGA Tournament Officials will be the final ruling in case of any dispute regarding Tournament play or prize awards.
  7. SEGA agents and employees of SEGA and their immediate families are ineligible to claim any tournament prizes.

Open Tournament:**
Players will qualify on the (3) three different fighting Arcade Games that are chosen for this tournament.
Players do not have to play all (3) three games to get them into the top (64) sixty four players on Sunday. A player can try as many times as they would like to get into the Semi-Finals on any game during open tournament play.

Tournament Location: GameWorks, Tempe, AZ
Tournament Open Play is from:
Friday March 20, 2009 from 3pm to 12am
Saturday March 21, 2009 from 12pm to 12am

Tournament Semi-Finals: Sunday Mar 22, 2009 from 11am to 6pm
Tournament Finals: Sunday March 22, 2009 from 6pm to 8pm

Tournament Games: Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 3 - Third Strike, Super Street Fighter 2 - Tournament Edition.

Cost to Play:**
Players will purchase game tickets to play in Open Qualifications at the tournament location.
Each ticket will let you play (1) one game of your choice.
1 Ticket = $5.00
** Tickets are Non-Transferable, and may not be used outside of Tournament **
Ticket sales will stop approximately 30 minutes before the end of Open Tournament Play on Saturday to ensure all players holding tickets will have time to use them in the tournament.

Prizes:
1st Place = $700 + 4x 4 Hour Free Play Cards
2nd Place = $200 + 2x 4 Hour Free Play Cards
3rd Place = $100 + 2x 4 Hour Free Play Cards
4th Place = $50 + 2x 4 Hour Free Play Cards
5th Place thru 16 Place will get a 1 Hour Free Play Card

Open Qualifications Rules:

1. Any player over the age of 18 can compete in the open qualifications for a spot in the Semi-Finals tournament play.
  2. Players can choose to qualify as many times as they would like until they win a qualification spot in the semi-finals.
  3. Players can choose any game to compete on and qualify for semi-final tournament play.
  4. Players must choose a character for each mini-tournament game and stick with that character through out the mini tournament play.

http://www.bmatth.com/GameWorks-Fighting-Mini-Tournament-Bracket.jpg

1. Open Qualifications Mini Tournaments: 4 random players will be grouped together on a game they have chosen to compete on. The winner of each match will be determined by the best 2 out of 3 rounds until a winner is determined. The winner of an Open Qualification Mini-Tournament will receive a place in the semi-final tournament play.

Semi-Finals:
The first 64 players to qualify from the Open Qualification round will compete in the Semi-Finals Tournament on Sunday from 11am to 6pm.

1. Semi-Finals will consist of 8 Groups of an 8 player head-to-head bracket single elimination tournament until 2 winners are crowned from each group.
  2. Players must choose a character for each game and stick with that character through out the Semi-Finals and Final play.
  3. The player?s position in the Semi-Final tournament will be determined by pulling numbers out of a hat when they earned their qualification. These qualifying positions are each players? SEEDING for the remainder of the Final Tournament play.
  4. The winner of each match is determined by the best 2 out of 3 games played. The winner of each game will be determined by the best 2 out of 3 rounds. The player with the highest seed chooses the first game, the second game is chosen by the second player, and the third game is the remaining game that is not chosen between the 2 players. Once a game has been played it can not be chosen again by the other player during the match.
  5. The games the players compete on will be determined by the highest seeded of the two player groups choosing first out of the available games at the time the players are to compete against each other. The next highest seeded two player group will choose next, and so on until all groups have chosen a game to compete on. If 2 groups choose the same game to compete on then the lower seeded group will have to wait until the higher seeded group finishes their game first.

http://www.bmatth.com/GameWorks-64-Player-8plyr-Group-Tournament-Bracket.jpg

Finals:
The top 16 players from the Semi-Finals round will compete in the Finals Tournament on Sunday from 6pm to 8pm.

http://www.bmatth.com/GameWorks-Fighting-Finals-Tournament-Bracket.jpg

1. Finals will consist of a head-to-head bracket single elimination tournament until a winner is crowned.
  2. Players must use the same character for each game that they used in Semi-Final play through out the Finals Tournament.
  3. The player?s position in the final tournament will be determined by pulling numbers out of a hat when they earned their qualification. These qualifying positions are each players? SEEDING for the remainder of the Final Tournament play.
  4. The winner of each match is determined by the best 2 out of 3 games played. The winner of each game will be determined by the best 2 out of 3 rounds. The player with the highest seed chooses the first game, the second game is chosen by the second player, and the third game is the remaining game that is not chosen between the 2 players. Once a game has been played it can not be chosen again by the other player.
  5. The games the players compete on will be determined by the highest seeded of the two player groups choosing first out of the available games at the time the players are to compete against each other. The next highest seeded two player group will choose next, and so on until all groups have chosen a game to compete on. If 2 groups choose the same game to compete on then the lower seeded group will have to wait until the higher seeded group finishes their game first.

Like I said above if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Have a good day
Brian

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I won’t be at this :(.

Don’t worry GameWorks will be doing more of these events down the road. They have just started, but the goal is to have a different game tournament each month.

Have a good day
Brian

No Marvel???

Wanted to keep it pure Street Fighter for the first tournament, after this one we will branch out into other games along with Street Fighter.

so which version of sf2 are we playing?

and do we still have to pay per play on our tourney matches or will the machines be set to free play?

You only need to pay per play in the open qualifications, once your qualified for the semi-finals and finals you no longer pay for each match you play in.

I will find out exactly what version of Street Fighter 2 GameWorks has. Although I am pretty sure it is just plain old SF2.

Have a good day
Brian

world warrior? thats kinda weak, id rather you guys put in a good game, even if it isnt sf. No one has taken that game remotely serious since 1991 and isnt a good game heh. =/

I called GameWorks in Tempe, the exact version of the game is Super Street Fighter 2 Tournament Edition

regular super sf2? that sucks. The black sheep of the sf2 series =( oh wells

i got a question that i couldnt get answered from the website rules.

friday and saturday. do we just show up whenever we want during the scheduled time? the formats being used for this event is really strange.

Let’s also say I cant make it friday due to work or something, Can I still go saturday to qualify or what?

A lot of this stuff is not clear at all. It doesn’t help that the format is really really strange to begin with.

Thanks =)

HI Sabre
Yes it is a different format that what is normally used for fighting tournaments. This is a format we use for pinball tournament that has been very successful. This type of tournament challenges players to be good at all games and not just one. Think of this more like a Triathlon of fighting games.

Yes, you can show up any time on Friday or Saturday to qualify for the Semi-Finals on Sunday. So there is no need to be there both days. Once you have qualified you do not need to be back at the tournament until the Semi-Finals begin.

I just want to explain that this is the first GameWorks fighting tournament. There are plans for more of these tournaments and we will use your feedback to fine tune these events so that the players are happy.

Would Marvel Vs Capcom be a better game for this event??

Thanks for your feedback SaBre and have a good day
Brian

well, since sf2 is already officially announced, no point in changing it. thats all on you guys, if you decide. either way, sounds like fun regardless. ill be there saturday =)

I still don’t get it. So say that I qualify for top 64 using only 1 game (SF4). I still have to play the other 2 games as well to win the final 1st place prize?

So I have to play all 3, right?

edit: nevermind, read it again and it made sense to me. all 3 games must be played between both players. oh god… time to practice for the other 2… :[

Ok…so now I got a question.

So for the quals, you have 4 random players play and the winner of this mini-bracket goes on to the semis. But if quals are all weekend, does this mean I have to stand around if say I show up on Friday night for 3 other players to come by and enter? That could seriously take a while and I don’t feel like just waiting around…

Also, the rules above state “Players do not have to play all (3) three games to get them into the top (64) sixty four players on Sunday.” So, for the quals, we can play just one game to get in but then have to play all 3 in the 64 man tourney?

These rules are really whack, this should just be three separate tournaments. There’s a lot of people who don’t even play 3s or SF2, and are just going for SF4.

I can’t really say too much since I won’t be there.

yeah the tourney definitely benefits the player that plays multiple games, which most people here dont. i mean, its cool and in good fun. no doubt. but most 3s players, tend to not play anything else, and if you put marvel in, they definitely dont really play anything else. And most of the people playing sf4 are pretty new to the scene. kinda sucks for most people that are skilled players, but prefer to play a specific title due to time and resource restraints to play multiple games, or for the fact that they dont like a certain title, which is very commonplace.

it would be much cooler if each game had a separate tourney, cash prizes for each tourney. then theres an ultimate prize for the person who accumulates the most points they earn per game entered. points are determined by their final placing in each tourney. For instance, 1st gets 10pts, 2nd gets 5pts, 3rd gets 2pts, etc etc.

So lets say i get 1st in sf4. I get 10points. Plus i win whatever prize is in that tourney. Then i get 2nd in 3rd strike. 5 points there, and i win whatever 2nd place prize is for that game. And i dont enter sf2 at all. I get 15 points total. If no one beats my 15 points, i am the overall winner and win a “Grand Prize.”

With this method, you atleast satisfy people that only come for one, or maybe 2 games, and have a chance to win something. And you satisfy the people that are multi game talented. Every wins pretty much.

I’m sure it’s entirely too late obviously to make changes. But hopefully, for future reference, this can be accomodated.

nick: that sounds about right.

honestly, the qual system sounds to easy to rig by players. I can go with tootall and rick, and tell them “hey, don’t enter yet, let me go first, wait til I qualify” then so on and so forth. I can also just sit and wait to enter when I know the bracket will be weak and basically get a free ride into semi’s. It’s good that people can come when they have the time to qualify. But tried and true method would just have a regular bracket tourney at a specific time til it gets down to the 64man bracket(assuming 64 even enter), then play that bracket as you would sunday. This way, it keeps people from scamming the quals.

I’m rambling =) just throwing out ideas for the future.

Serioulsy, I mean, I know SF4 is attracting new people but I doubt there would be enough people that if we weeded out entrants through the quals that you would end up with 64 people for semis. You would have to have 256 separate people enter over Friday and Saturday (64 separate 4 man tourneys with 1 winner each) to get a full bracket. AND you’re asking people to pay $5 to enter…the GameStop tourneys were free with a crap load more advertising and some places barely filled their brackets.

I really don’t mean to be negative…just pointing out some things…

i will be there and at least i can play all 3 although old school SF is going to be my weakest.

MVC2!!

MVC2!!

MvC2 and i’ll enter other games =]

No bs… i’m serious. =D

Thank you guys for the feedback, and yes the rules for a fighting tournament will change for next time based on this feedback. MvC2 is at GameWorks, but one of the managers said this was not a good game to use. Lesson learned and next time it will be in the line-up.

I am sorry it is to late to change the rules for this tournament, but $700 is up for grabs for first place.

Next time each machine will have its own separate tournament, but the difference will be that the first place winners will face off on all the games in a final challenge for an extra bonus cash prize.

You do not need 256 players for this tournament, because if you loose you can try to win again in another mini-tournament for qualification. You are not limited to 1 try like other tournaments.

Please keep in mind the rules were designed to meet Arizona’s strict laws. GameWorks is a corporate entity and must follow all legal laws. I am glad we were able to get this far, and these tournaments will only get better.

Thank you for your understanding, and I look forward to meeting you there.
Brian

PS - Almost forgot the players that get 1st and 2nd place in this event will receive a compete pass to the Devastation Tournament in June