General Fighting Game strategies.. do they apply to Marvel?

Hello all. I’ve been reading up on a lot of Street Fighter strategies such as footsies, knowing your opponent, even predicting their next move… and I’ve been wondering: does any of that really MATTER in this game? The only solid game plan from what I’ve seen is finding that opening. After all, combos will nearly if not completely kill off a character. I don’t know, maybe I just don’t see it, but a lot of the intricacies I see in Street Fighter seem to be plain non-existent in this game. Which makes me curious, are there more strategies in this game that AREN’T in Street Fighter (or other fighting games)? Apart from, you know, assist strategies… those are obvious. But please feel free to discuss assist strategies as well.

Please discuss and debate this with me, because this is really frustrating me. Especially the one about knowing what they will do next, because this game is so goddamn unpredictable sometimes…

Question: do you know why Justin Wong kicks so much ass with his Wolverine? Why he keeps winning tournaments? That’s because of many reasons:

a) He is predicting when people will push block him and when he can wavedash at that exact same moment to defeat the push block
b) He is calling his Akuma assist at the right time and making it difficult for people to punish his character or the assist
c) His mixups are much more unpredictable and inescapable.
d) He knows when he can punish his opponents with great precision
e) He has mastered the air throw, which many still haven’t

He doesn’t pull off the best combos that maximizes the damage, but he still keeps winning. Anyone who thinks that this game is unpredictable just needs to learn how to play this game.

Normally you can get a good idea of the opponent’s gameplan just by taking one look at their team composition.

It’s not so much figuring out their exact move… It’s not a psychic ability. You can often get a general feel of a gameplan by looking at your opponent’s team, as said above. But after playing a couple games good players start to figure out when something will happen against certain players, or pick up on patterns the opponent does. For instance, rather than thinking out loud what moves he’ll use, it’s more efficient in Marvel to just think “he’ll attack me”. Then looking at opponent’s patterns, you can determine the most likely direction they’ll attack you from. Will they cross you up? Will they go low or high? Are they going to fake me out before their attacks?

That’s just defense. Obviously this also applies to offense. Do they block low or high? Do they expect my crossups? Are they pushblocking, if so when? You can also check for little ‘ticks’, like do they always stand up when you get in the air? Are they always crouch blocking, or do they often jump back? It’s not a clear prediction; you can’t literally see the future. But by reading an opponent you should get a general feel of how they think while playing, and you should be able to capitalize on their patterns and force mistakes to happen.

A good Street Fighter example (which appears to be your background) is like… if Player X gets to a certain range, he will jump often, so you put him into that range and prepare to anti-air him. That kind of basic stuff can be applied to Marvel as well, for instance if a Sentinel player always goes into flight mode at a certain range, get to that certain range and punish him for going into flight mode.

of course they do

different game different shit.

It definitely does, once you get past how hectic and frantic the pace of Marvel can be, you can see how those elements fit into the game plan. It might be interesting for you to check out the Frame-Advantage.com video where Marn is breaking down his match with TwistedJago; it is very interesting, and he talks about footsies and setups, etc. I’ll link it here, hope it helps.

One thing I’ve noticed is Marvel just takes things like footsies, spacing, reading your opponent, and all that and just magnifies the scale of it. We throw out unsafe moves backed by an assist to bait a punish, the space we have to control is all around us instead of directly in front of our characters. Reading one’s opponent is pretty universal in all fighting games, Marvel is no exception. Once you get past the craziness and start looking at the game from the bigger picture, you’ll see all of those elements.

How do you think you get that one hit? You need to find an opening by having superior footsies, superior spacing, knowing your opponent and their team, knowing the character matchup, and predicting their next move.

If anything it’s harder than SF because you can’t fuck up, unlike in SF4 where you can get hit by like 4 combos and still be alive (most likely with full Ultra too).

all the basic stuff in street fighter happens in marvel…just at a faster pace and youre pressing a lot more buttons.

There’s a contradiction there but I forgive you. You make some good points, though. Wong definitely makes great use of air grabs, punishing mistakes, and having a great defense despite having an offense heavy team. I wish I was as gdlk with the Akuma assist. Haha!

This actually helped me out a lot, thanks :034:. (Sixfortyfive as well)

I’ve been playing Street Fighter since I was a kid, but tbh I’m pretty god-awful at it. There just happens to be a wealth of information on it, and you guys have shown me my research has not gone to waste.

Thanks a lot, that video actually does help explain a lot of hidden elements in Marvel, especially footsies. (Love that jump+teleport down trick that Marn was using with Zero)

I’d respond to all of you but it’s starting to get a bit redundant, but thanks very much for all your responses.

On another note: I have been practicing more online, and honestly makes me feel horrible because I get beaten with lag tactics, and it just makes me feel like I’m not learning anything nor am I getting any better. So, I think I’m just going to have to stick with training mode for the moment. I have plenty of practice on combos, I need to practice more on setups and mix-ups. Any suggestions on how to practice those? Should I bother with CPU in training mode? Thanks again guys.

I think you should play online if it’s all you have.

Duly noted :frowning:

I have actually been playing some more online tonight, and they haven’t been quite as bad… rocking the Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma team sucks if you’re getting chipped to death though. xD

Oh lord not THAT team.

It’s pretty derp but I loves me some Wolverine. Team sucks really bad for Wesker though, been thinking of dropping the best friends forever.

Try She-Hulk/Taskmaster/Tron. You get a little bit of everything and it’ll teach you good fundamentals.

I don’t think a team with an assist that let’s you mash and block with your face teaches fundamentals. Good team though.

Spoken by someone that truely doesn’t know the team.

Spoken like someone who clearly reads far too much into a sadistic comment (AKA an ass). I was merely stating Tron’s assist can create bad habits. The team excellently teaches team chemistry via set ups, DHCs, and a focused strategy. Someone who doesn’t have a background though may have trouble correctly understanding that chemistry though and will most likely end up mashing Tron’s assist, which usually degrades ones defense.

I also think the team is far too She-Hulk-centric. Not to say Taskmaster doesn’t benefit from Tron but it is clear that the team is designed to fully take advantage of She-Hulk’s strengths and heighten her to the best level.

Personally I would start with a team that focused less on a singular character and didn’t teach bad defense habits if you’re a newer player of marvel or someone who doesn’t know how to apply the strategy from other fighting games to Marvel.

With Spencer there is only one Strategy: Bionic Arm when someone commits even a few frames to an attack.

But a better team I think is She-Hulk (learn rush down and command grabbing for invulnerability frames from assists), Taskmaster (for keep away and some rush down), and Amaterasu (for shifting the balance on the fly from rush to keep away and back to rush again). Learning to use assists at a crucial moment helps too. (Ammy’s Cold Star to She-Hulk’s running command grab creates an almost unblockable set-up)

But regardless of games (Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, Capcom VS SNK, SVC Chaos, Tekken, MvC) I have the same gameplan. Rushdown and not give the other person an opening.