Get that boot out your ass! Cody tips for the common Cody player

cody

So i’ve mained cody ever since my first tournament experience where as a scrub ken player (who thought he was hot shit) got bodied by the infamous Packz!

Since then ive played allot…A hell of allot! character crisis/learning stick aside i feel i have improved greatly and have since come back to using cody!

After checking through the the archives of momochi, sasaki and others, aswell as reading through the threads posted here, i feel there are a few things i could mention that are different from the majority views and opinions of cody…this is not to help new players, although i feel you should still read on, if your not to familiar with all of his set ups/playstyle yet there will more than likely be an easier guide to read.

So theres a specific normal i had in mind whilst writing this and that is codys sweep!
This normal is so underused that i frequently gets messages from those i fight online with the theme "CODY HAS A SWEEP?! DERPDERPDERPWUBWOO!"
now im not saying this normal is great but it has applications which i feel have been overlooked because of other normals. For instance, you start a match with ryu, you’ve got that zonk ready, the dancing footsie battle begins! ryus know not to throw fireballs or cancel thier cr.mk into fb. so you wait for that ct.mk to come ( and it will) and say f-HK over, start pressure and all things you should be doing. after a while though this option decreases in effectiveness, its not a punish to cr.mk and as the round goes on and ryu has two bars plus ultra his option to srk becomes a big factor.
The one thing i never see cody players do in this situation is walk back and whiff punish cr.mk with sweep. The reason i make a point about this is if no other cody is using it then im sure opponent is unaware of this outcome too. It also adds another layer to your options, which is the most important tool in street fighter.

Another tendency i come across with allot of codys (this includes sasaki…which may or may not surprise people) is the improper play style that appears when a zonk is charged and the over dependence on codys FA!
Zonks effectiveness relies on its ability to surprise the opponent, to make them adjust to what they can/cant do and to control space right in front of you. What i see allot of codys do i turn to a very passive style while they are charging zonk or become very predictable with releasing it. We have all seen momochi ex zonk someone on wake up and get all excited as the momentum for cody gets turned to 11. However this is not a great play to be using every match and like all things in sf should mostly only be used on a well calculated guess. whilst cody does build allot of meter, he needs that meter! throwing away 3bars on an ex zonk that is blocked is infuriating and should make you want to throw your stick in the bin. Now you have terrible reversal options,no meter for ex HRK set ups and no meter for fadc U1 ( if your using it).
As for the FA, codys focus attack is very good, it has the best range and a very fast speed which makes it a very good option to have…the problem comes when over using it, while great in situations to punish pokes it is susceptible to allot of high damage counters. Again the better alternative would be using codys great normals to punish whiffed pokes…or simply block! As a cody player, we have all now become accustomed to blocking everything because if you dont…you die! because of codys great set of normals, most of the cast will be worried having cody in at close range, with the addition of zonk (in-case a fb is thrown) this makes it difficult to keep cody out without simply walking/jumping back. let the pressure build up…until they crack…simple really! FA in these footsie situations brings risk and minimal reward.

Another great tool every cody player should implement is the jump back LP.
Now ill admit ive only been using this recently but it is great. cody deals with pressure really bad and JB.LP simply gives him the advantage by getting back into a more comfortable range. this works great in match ups where the threat is more aerial (cammy akuma). I know its a very unnatural thing as a cody player to jump back (seeings as we’re so bad ass) but its something everyone should use from time to time

It’s not much…but there was a whole lot of repeated questions in previous posts so i thought id look out for something a bit different. This is my first character post so i apologize is is written rather badly.
And id just like to make the point that these things i suggest work well with my own play style, i am a very calculated player who relies on reaction to kick start a match.

Cheers for reading

I really enjoy Cody’s sweep and catch a lot of people from max range.

it has its uses. but, most of the time i default to using cr.lk xx mk ruffian. it’s better damage and pushes them into the corner faster.

I’d say that the normal move most slept on that I NEVER see used is cody’s neutral jump MP. That thing is bonkers good for stuffing air to airs. I’m not certain but I think that the frame data on it might be wrong because the frame data for the move in the bcm file is

7-15 for the hitbox with the game running the animation at 1.25x speed. That would be 6F of active frames not 4F.

ooooo snap I just checked out the older data from Super and from AE and they buffed it in 2012 but didn’t put it in the patch notes.

Somehow haven´t pressed nj.mp. I was raging losing this many air to airs so far.

I use it a lot against Seth.
I use j.FP against most characters, and j.MK against Ryu(it stuffs air Tatsu and gives combo if it hits cr.MK on the max range).

tips for cody…? can i ask one?

• How do i beat honda with cody? -

This normal was definitely buffed in AE2012, also yes it was mentioned in the patch notes lol. I use it a fair bit against characters like Seth, Adon, Ibuki, and Viper that like to jump a lot, but it’s pretty situational and used mainly for reads. As for Cody’s sweep, I use it as a sort of mini vortex from time to time in combo’s against characters that don’t have too great reversals (3 Frame DP’s etc.), it also has great priority when used for wiff punishes.

I find that when it comes to using Zonk effectively, I like to mask it the best I can with simple pressure and using his kick buttons whilst staying active and aggressive with dashes. I also love using it to blow up throw attempts from grab happy characters like Cammy, Ken, Vega etc. I still find the best use for it that I get the most mileage out of that gets people thinking twice, is using it to punish far reaching normals. I just simply incorporate HP charge into my pressure and use the small bit of invul to get behind the normal and get the knockdown.

Sorrowstick the best advise I can give is be on point with your anti airs in that match-up, look out for badly spaced butt splashes and punishable shimmy air FP. Play patient and try to block headbutts standing, if the Honda does a MP/HP Headbutt and you block standing you can punish with the following:
[LIST]
[]Lk/Mk Ruffian
[
]EX Ruffian>EX Criminal Upper
[]Ultra 2 (full animation)
[
]Bad Stone
[*]Kara dash into pressure (Executed by pressing forward, focus attack, forward in quick succession)
[/LIST]
Other than that, try your best to slowly work your way in and don’t be overly aggressive with your rushdown, leaves gaps from time to time and see if you can bait random headbutts etc. Also wiff punishing is essential against lame Honda’s, with a good mixture of (EX)Zonk punishes and off beat cross-ups when you have them scared to press buttons.

Using Zonk to blow up throws? Unless it’s EX Zonk the move is throwable for its entire duration (which is pretty annoying considering it is so slow and short range.)

Yes I meant EX Zonk, sorry for the confusion lol. But normal Zonk can be used when people try to walk forward slightly to grab you during pressure strings, he’s only throwable during the lunge back, once the punch starts to come out you can win the exchange most of the time I think (I’ve had mix results with it in the past). But Ex is always good to do now and then in exchange for crouch teching, blows up a lot of the stupid rushdown gimmicks in this game. :slight_smile:

Nah regular zonk is throwable for the entire duration of the move. It is just that the timing can be difficult because throw ranges. It is really noticable if you try and zonk Seth who can SPD you out of it and beats it with a DP or c.LK.

You can throw Makoto out of her Hayate or Balrog out of his dash punches if you time it right.

<blockquote class=“UserQuote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/Eternal%2C%20post%3A%207686208%2C%20member%3A%2048530">Eternal, post: 7686208, member: 48530</a> wrote:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>
<b>Sorrowstick</b> the best advise I can give is be on point with your anti airs in that match-up, look out for badly spaced butt splashes and punishable shimmy air FP. Play patient and try to block headbutts standing, if the Honda does a MP/HP Headbutt and you block standing you can punish with the following:
<ul class=“bbcode_list”>
<li>Lk/Mk Ruffian</li>
<li>EX Ruffian>EX Criminal Upper</li>
<li>Ultra 2 (full animation)</li>
<li>Bad Stone</li>
<li>Kara dash into pressure (Executed by pressing forward, focus attack, forward in quick succession)</li>
</ul>
Other than that, try your best to slowly work your way in and don’t be overly aggressive with your rushdown, leaves gaps from time to time and see if you can bait random headbutts etc. Also wiff punishing is essential against lame Honda’s, with a good mixture of (EX)Zonk punishes and off beat cross-ups when you have them scared to press buttons.</blockquote>

just wanna let you know…the honda i was facing is the turtling ones…and we’re talking bout’ jump back hondas with surprise headbutt…and zoning their ass with buttsplash, st-HK or st-mp like there are no tomorrow.

I just ran the hell out of the Honda match. I used to think it was in Honda’s favor, but it’s very 5-5.

Main Goal:
The reality is that Honda is going to turtle once he has a huge life lead. It is your responsibility as Cody to zone him out early and get the lead. Force Honda to come in. Cody can zone Honda pretty well if you pay attention to his charge and are VERY smart about your rocks. Bottom line is Honda can’t lame you out if you have a lead, and if you are full screen with a lead, you shouldn’t be moving unless you’re inching yourself out of the corner. He has to use meter for safe chip (doesn’t even have that if you have EX Zonk) mid to full screen.

Honda can keep Cody out really well, and unfortunately. It’s very hard for Cody to do anything to a life leading Honda on downback with lots of meter. Get the lead and keep it. Zone him out. Don’t get greedy and start rushing Honda down unless Honda has no meter and you have him figured out.

Tips
If he’s just walking back and doing headbutts, punish it on block (EDIT: Lou listed a bunch of ways), or if he’s getting greedy with full screen EX HBs, EX Zonk beats it clean. If he’s random buttslaming, any zonk will beat it on the way down (time it right so it auto corrects if necessary), or you can focus it.

His U1 is very bait-able with fake rocks and LP rocks.

Good pokes are st. HK, cr. MP and st. MK. cr. LP with a buffered special is good too. His st. HK is negative -7 on block. You can basically U2 it, but punish it all the same with an easy cr. LK xx whatever.

Safe Jumps off of HP CU, EX Ruffian and back-throw all work on Honda. If you can OS, EX Bingo is your best option.

Cody’s pressure game gets hurt hard by Honda’s random EX specials. If he likes doing random EX headbutts during your pressure, do two or three tight cr. LPs and jump back. If he EX HBs, you can punish him with cr. HP xx CU when you land.

It’s good to have a zonk charged when pressuring a meter-less Honda on wake-up. I don’t mind simple cr. LP pressure. If he does a LP buttslam reversal, you can just release zonk and beat it.

Best anti-airs are cr. MK, st. HK, and HK Ruffian. A lot of Honda’s jump from further out and will empty jump so your b+MP whiffs…if they know the match anyway. Unless they are jumping right on top of you, it isn’t your best option.

This is a battle of patience. Expect to win a few rounds via time out if you want to win this match.

Actually Ramma, it was Lou3h who posted the headbutt punishes not me. the new forums really suck :expressionless:

Oh FFS. I hate this new format. I’m gonna stick to Blockstring pretty soon lol.

<i>Critical Condition Cody vs Honda</i><br>1. Man … i got buttslamed and headbutted. Can <b>bad spray him</b> hell outta ma’ way?<br><br>2. Owh shoot…here comes <b>buttslamed vortex.</b> What should i do?<br><br>3. I met a <b>step-by-step-storm-h</b>onda…i mean he did a few short distance<b> safe jumpFw --> low block (defend against EX-Ruffies) to approach near</b> cody slowly.<br>once approach he start to <b>jumpF-HP–>st-mp --> st-HK --> thousand slap</b> (or maybe EX ones). what should i do? <br><br>4. “hahaha…my butt slam and headbutt has a long period block stun, plus i recover so fast, so fast enough for me to lowblock again and again”<br>so i managed to <b>overhook punch</b> him out…is it possible? he probably<b> loop the same sudden buttsplash or heabutt</b> eh? or should i <b>kara throw </b>him away?<br><br><i>Ramma…</i><br>1. Best anti-airs … cr_MK? Does it works like <b>Dee Jay slideHK</b>?<br><br>2. Zonking headbutt does need some<b> timing on the correct frame</b>…am i right?<br><br>3. Heck yeah…this is the battle of patience. Winning via time out is my last resort but hey…it does worthwhile against cheap turtlers rite?<br><br>4. I have no prob on honda U1 (just like you said, its baitable) or even supers (just focus and rape). Yet, <b>baiting me by jump back</b> and forth --> headbutt ? <br>that really pisses me off. question…how do i <b>over bait him?</b><br>