Getting better.

How do I do it? I suck at this game, I have a passion for it, but I suck. I’ve played at least 50 matches online, I havn’t won a single one. I understand the basics and mechanics of the game but I can’t get a feel for it. I hate Ryu (to be honest, all of the shotos other than Akuma) and even I did like him, I can’t play him. I’m really, really salty right now because everything I used to know about fighting games I’ve lost. The only character I’m even decent at is Deejay, and even then I’m playing horribly. I can’t zone for shit, I can’t combo, even after locking myself in for 48 hours straight I can’t get my timings down.

Can someone help me, please? I feel like Mike Ross after he got beaten by that random scrub at the beginning of Focus.

Start there, watch all of the vids and attempt to apply it in practice. You can’t just hop online and pray that you can just blindly grind your way into improving yourself as a player, you have to start from the ground up, and slowly train yourself in every aspect of fighting game fundamentals in order to improve. Watch your replays in the replay channel and try to understand why you lost your 50 straight matches. It could be you jump around too much, you dropped combos, played too conservatively or aggressively, you don’t know the matchup, etc etc.

Unless you post up your own match videos, I can’t give you any specific help. Realize that the forums and youtube are your most easily accessible source for information as to how to play the game properly, but you have to apply it in practice in order to improve. We can’t just tell you how to get you better, you’ll have to learn to be a bit self-reliant and figure it out for yourself at some point.

The unfortunate bit is that I’ve watched that series three times over now. I understand the mechanics, I just can’t consistently put them into practice.
I play defensive, but not to the point that I don’t attack, my problem is timing and execution, but like I said, I keep forgetting it, I’ve put days into training mode, I just can’t get it down.

Generically I’d say that the reason most people struggle at the beginning is an inability to block or an inability to capitalize on situations[combos]. The neutral game can be ignored somewhat at the newbie level since getting in is relatively easy. So generically I would say struggle through it, get these things down.

These topics come up once an hour, and I figure instead of spewing the learn footsies, learn AAs, learn setups kinda thing I think maybe we should start tailoring it to the player. post vids! /rant no one hears

It’s good that you know the theory, you just have to diligently train to put it into practice. Timing and execution is something that you can practice into training mode. It comes with heavy amounts of repetition. Once you can perform a set of moves, or combos, ten times in a row in training mode, then you’re ready to put it into an actual match. Also keep in mind that doing combos is a very MINOR part of your training. You have to work on things like defense, learning how to block low, and block jump attacks high, how to block cross-ups, learning how to tech throws, things like that. You can practice your anti-airs by having the training dummy jump at you with different attacks, and different timings, to improve your reaction time, and teach you which anti-airs to use.

What’s helpful is to play the computer on the hardest difficult. You’d be surprised how much you can learn about a matchup in this way. Obviously it’s no replacement for playing against a human player, but at least you’ll start to get a basic idea about how a specific matchup is played.

It’s not easy becoming proficient at fighting games. It doesn’t come overnight, or even through the course of a week, but you have to learn to keep yourself motivated and to stick at it. Fighting games have a pretty steep learning curve, and you’ll have to work hard at learning the basic fundamentals if you want to start getting some wins.

…I have probably played more than 20,000 matches online if I combine PS3 and 360. I barely played vanilla SF4 at all. That total also doesn’t include any of the matches that I have played offline.

I am not even very good at the game but this is the reality of the experience level of the people who you are playing against online. I could very easily play 50 matches in one night if I am not doing anything else.

50 matches really isn’t that much compared to what a lot of people have put in.

I’m still “not very good” but I’ve played probably over 1000 matches online (Xbox and PS3 combined) and probably double if you count my offline stuff.

Losing is the only way to get better. When I started playing Vanilla SF4 I think I played nearly a hundred matches before I even came close to winning. Just learn each time you lose and go from there.

Also, if you can find some people to play who are near your experience level you’ll probably have a bit more fun. Getting bodied over and over starts to generate some real salt after a while.

50 Match’s is nothing, some people have been playing fighting games for nearly 20 years.

In all seriousness, like others in this thread have said, you haven’t put in enough time yet to start seeing results, especially against players who have years of experience over you. It sounds like you might be soul searching a bit with your character, so my advice would be to pick one and play that character exclusively for at least a couple of months; learn all your bnb combos, pokes, and anti-airs, and then start grinding out the experience in player matches until you get comfortable. It helped me to just focus on one thing when entering a match, and work on that until I got it down; for example, I would get into a player match and just try to anti-air everything, I didn’t care about winning or losing. Another thing that helped me was going into training mode, putting the CPU on Hardest, and just blocking everything he did for like a half hour at a time.

There are a million different ways you can learn, you just have to pick the ones that work best for you, dedicate to learning one character, and understand that all the losing you are doing now is what will make winning later all the more sweet.

New beginners don’t understand that FG’s take a lot of time and dedication to get any better. It’s not like CoD where you can just pick up the controller and start demolishing everybody. You have to understand that you ARE going to lose a lot before you get even remotely better. And i mean like 99.9% of your matches. Grind it out. Practice. Play everyday for at least 3 hours. In time you will see some improvement.

Another person for 50 games is nothing. Most people here grind out 50 games in their sleep.

I like how Weivy recognizes he “can’t zone for shit”. I guaranteed you would be hard pressed to find another player as new as him with that amount of insight into his matches. Usually you’d expect to hear losses just chalked up to “cheapass sonic booms” and the opponents “being pussies” or something haha.

Good luck Weivy. Once you’ve walked 10 miles you’ll realize you always have twice as many more to go. You just gotta have fun along the way. More goes into a match than just wins and losses, concentrate on particular aspects of your game to improve instead of working on them all at once all the time. I suggest throwing and bait/punish.

And one more note, you’ll get more mileage out of your training if you sleep well. The brain processes new material/patterns during sleep so that it’s easier to grasp the next day

First off, I signed in to “like” AmishOpiate’s post, shit had me rofl…

OP: Like everyone here has said, 50 games is nothing. I have over 6k online games on super/ae alone… So everything takes time and a lot of practice. You said you are terribad at zoning… do you like that style of play? If not then Deejay may not be the best character for you. Figure out your style of play then pick a character you feel attached to and grind day and night with some friends.

haha, I’ve probably played 5+ hour long sets with people when I have nothing to do all day. Which is somewhere around like 100 sets or so I believe?
Anyways, pretty much my best advice is to just grind it out. I’ve been playing pretty hardcore for around 3 years (? or so) and I still think I’m pretty awful. Just go for it, have fun, and [if possible {I can understand why you might not though (cough my ‘scene!’ cough haha)}], play locally. As for character choice, I tend to always pick by looks, so I might not be the best person to ask. But I went from looks, if I got bored I swapped, over and over. Since SF4 I’ve played almost every character probably at least 200 sets, and really only didn’t use a few characters. Although I’ve been firmly maining Guy since SSF4, I’ve only really started using him like 95%+ of the time quite recently.
Well, that was a ton of rambling. Good luck!

You need to put a LOT of time into getting your execution down at the very beginning. You need to be at the point where you can do exactly what you want at any particular moment without thinking about it.

I used to be like you, I had SSF4 for over a year, I played pad because I played pad on Tekken, so I sidelined SF4 until MVC3 came out, got a stick for that game, heard there was going to be a patch for AE. Bought AE, started grinding with E. Ryu, playing a low health character made me more concious about my decisions so I don’t get killed for it. However the thing is with SF4 if you understand the concept you will gradually level up faster, getting the concept down is taking alot of time. What I did is, practice your hitconfirm combo’s like cr. lp cr. lp into Shoryuken or cr. lk cr. lp st. lp into sweep is also a great way, but getting your links down helps alot if you learn how to plink, I actually watched 1 video, went into practice and got it down pretty easily.