Getting used to sticks?

I just recently bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 stick, and it is my first stick ever. (I’ve played CvS2 & 3S for two years with PS2 controller). Of course with any change it feels different, I play a little worse on my stick than my controller. I’m just so used to having all my options a few centimeters away from each other, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue:

But my question is, how long did it take you to get used to using sticks? I’d like an idea of how long it takes one to fully make the transition and be comfortable with sticks versus controllers. Even if you started at the arcade and never had a “getting used to period” I would still like your insight to sticks versus controllers.

Everyones transition time is different. It really depends on the person.

What I do suggest is to keep using the stick and don’t give up. Once you get to the point where you’re totally comfortable with it, you’ll probably never want to use a controller again.

QFT. I have a modded HRAP2 and I’ve never looked back, unless it’s for an RPG or some game that needs analog =\

Yeah, never giving up, no matter if you win or lose, is the critical factor, imo. In that case, it won’t take very long, maximally few months.

I have a friend - always mad when he loses - he can never learn on the stick because he always throws it away and picks the stupid pad.

don’t use a stick if you’re not comfortable with it. if you are good with your thumbs which is what a pad is all about than use the damn pad.

I bought an HRAP3 a few months ago.
I use Urien, Q and Hugo

My Hugo is already deadlier than he ever was on a pad
My Urien is getting there, probably almost up to where I was with a pad
My Q is probably at about 3/4 of the proficiency he was when I was using pad

As the previous guys said, do NOT give up. you WILL lose and it will be frustrating but don’t go back to the pad man - it’d be like going back to riding your bike with training wheels after you fell off once on a real bike.

The more you practice with it the shorter your time will be, first thing you should do is hit training mode and get those normals and specials down

My first appreciation of a stick came from dashes, high-jumps, and parries in TS. All those seemed easier from the get go. Specials took a little time though. Plan on 5-6 years of hard training. You might be used to it by then…maybe.

keep playing. that’s all

I don’t think it should take you more than a week to fully get used to it. Depends on how long you play a day. I used to play fighters with the d-pad and was pretty good but with a stick it’s easier to pull things off consistently since it’s more accurate. I also have an hrap2 modded with art and sanwa parts. :bgrin:

Try practicing with Charge characters to start with. My Boxer/Guile/Honda, etc. all got WAYYYYY better on Super Turbo as soon as I started playing with a stick. Use the square gate to your advantage so you’re always charging Down/Back - This way you can quickly go to either U/B for flash kicks or D/F for sonic booms, and still retain the charge for the other.

practice practice practice

Charge characters are almost always easier to use on a square gate. When using a Happ/Fanta/etc. I basically have to find db before I start playing. I also noticed that QCFs are surprisingly easier for me on a square gate than on a circular/octagonal one as I tend to accidently “tiger knee” my fireballs sometimes and get anti aired for huge damage. For all other circular motions though, I find circular/octagonal gates much better. Overall, I don’t really care what the gate is as long as I am not playing a character with 360 motions, a Mishima, or characters with weird super motions like Guile/Vega.

Your mistake was getting an Hrap as your first stick, have fun doing dragon punches on that thing. This is America, and our arcades use HAPP.

I can DP way faster on my HRAP than sloppy mushy HAPP sticks

I recently switched over to wineglass because it’s way better for my DP consistency.
Couple questions though:

-How the hell do you IAD like this?
-I’m having trouble dashing left, do you just sort of push left against the stick with your middle/ring fingers? In the past, I held it pencil style, and I’d just tap the side of the stick with my thumb.

I just switched out my octagonal gate for a square gate and now I am wondering how in the hell anyone can dp on that thing.

It took me a few months to be honest. It was pretty frustrating at first because I was used to just using my thumbs and I used pad my whole life. I felt like I didnt know how to play the game at all anymore. But I stuck with it in spite of all the frustration and I havent looked back since (which is not to say playing pad is useless. e.g., charging turn punches with ST Boxer using one shoulder buttons, and actually being able to use your other buttons with greater ease during a match is MUCH easier for me on a pad than it is on a stick).

Go into training mode and practice. Try to get a “feel” for the stick. That is, make a conscious and concentrated effort to be aware of what it feels like to push in each of the 8 directions. Work on this first, so you can get a foundation to build on.

Once you’ve done this, start working on your motions (e.g., fireball, dragon punch, tiger knee, half circle, 360, etc…). Start each motion slowly, and concentrate on how the stick feels as you move it from direction to direction. Chances are, fireball motion will be easiest, so that is a good place to start. Work on consistency. Your execution is one of the most important foundations that you can build because you cannot win matches if you cannot do moves, plain and simple. Dont cheat yourself out of this. Chances are it will be very hard and you will be very frustrated. But with consistency comes results. You should train yourself such that these moves become easier and easier to do, until finally, you can do them at will. These moves must become second nature to you because these are the motions that a lot of fighting games use. Also, get a feel for these moves in practice mode, where you are not being concerned with being attacked by an opponent.

Since you’re using a stick now, you can take advantage of this by learning to “piano” moves. For instance, if you’re throwing a fireball with Ryu, on a pad, you can only hit one button at a time (well, unless you play Tekken style and use your index and middle finger instead of your thumbs). What you should be doing is this: do the fireball motion, but instead of just pressing one button, you should use your ring, middle, and index fingers to hit all 3 punch buttons . The motion with your fingers is kinda like the motion you would do if you were bored and rapping your fingers on a desk in rapid succession.

Here is a link with some excellent players from Japan, with the camera on the players themselves
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q_BEl4iZlj0&mode=related&search=

watch Tsuji’s right hand and notice what he does. This is what you should do. The reason for this is because the computer reads the input as hitting 6 button presses (1 for when you press down on each of the punch buttons, and 1 for when you release the button, for a total of 6 button presses) instead of just one. What this means is that you have 6 chances of doing the move instead of just the one or two you would have if you just hit one button. More chances means a greater likelihood that the move will come out. This is especially great for when you dont care what strength the move comes out as as long as it comes out (e.g., Ryu throws a jab fireball and the opponent jumps at you. In that moment, it doesnt really matter with what strength dragon punch you hit them with as long as you hit them). It may feel unnatural and unnecessasry at first, but mastering this input means that you will execute moves with much greater accuracy and frequency. This will build yet another foundation for you.

Once you are confident in your technique, the final step is to play against an opponent. As you play, you should be focusing on what your opponent is doing and what you can do, so you dont really have time to focus on whether or not you are properly dragon punching (or whatever move you are trying to do). This is the true test of how far you have progressed: can you do these moves, on reaction, without thinking, and in clutch moments, during a match? The match doesnt lie. It will tell you what you have improved on and what you still need work on. Continue to refine your execution until you can dedicate your entire attention to focusing on your opponent.

Good luck, I hope you do well

My problem is that I keep switching hand positions so my progress gets slowed.
So far, the two where I can do moves most consistently are pencil style with all my fingers out and my thumb/first two fingers on the ball, and wineglass. Wineglass destroys my wrist/knuckles though. I don’t know how people use it for extended periods of time.

It’s pretty frustrating. I mean, how long it takes you to get used to it completely depends on what level you were at before. I’m used to being able to walk forward and psychic DP stuff consistently, and hit confirm off jabs and shit, and now I can’t even super consistently off a fierce hit.

I dont use a stick, but i think i have a similar experience with the EA skate (lol) :rolleyes:
When you start playing, you cant do nothing, always worried about obstacles and stuff, but after a 15 hours you can do everything without blinkin an eye! It just feels natural! So i guess you should do like SF3TSguy said. Just play a lot until it gets into your person. After that i think that should be easy to pull off the motions. :wgrin:

I used my Hori Arcade stick for the 360 a couple of days ago and i kinda got the hang of it, but i still need much more practice =)