GGXX: Eddie

Hmm, wondering why there’s no Eddie thread yet considering he’s one of the best character in the game. I’m trying to learn him, so post ur 2 cents here about him.

Option 1: Gamecombos.com Eddie forum

Option 2: If you still have questions (or don’t want to look there) ask something specific here and someone will answer :wink:

Wut makes him so good? And how to do his unblockables?

he is cheap
he has long range moves(drill)
he can run away with flying and hiding under the ground
he has few unblockable moves
he can use eddie for mixup and rushdown,etc

the basic eddie unblockable is Dust Lil Eddie and a Kick (either standing or crouch)

basically its:

1. knockdown
  2. summon eddie standby (QCF+HS . . . hold that HS now)
  3. as the other guy gets up, still hold HS and hit Dust and dash in and Kick

Lil Eddie Dust hits high and Kick hits low

thus its unblockable

now once the guy is hit and summarily knocked down by a sweep and Lil Eddie is back at his standby state, release HS to make a mine

now jump and HS when the mine activates for another unblockable

of course, none of this matters if your opponent is sol badguy :stuck_out_tongue: (unless you can bait his DP . . .)

I’m trying to learn eddie as well, but gamecombos doesn’t work, not sure what happen, did they shut it down or something?

Anyways, no one around where i play picks eddie, but i’ve seen some vivids and he owns. Americans don’t seem to pick him because americans don’t seem to pick anyone with more then a 5 minute learning curve…

So, if anyone knows any B&B or air or poke strings, please post some.

I’ve been an Eddie (cough Zato) player since GGX. I’d copy all my info from GCC over here, but as it looks like it’ll be back up soon, I won’t bother.

I’m a beginner. What should I practice? I’ve learned Eddie’s movelist, how the shadow works, and have a general idea on how the character should be played (from watching match vids).

Now how do I move on to the next level? Combos? Setups? Anybody write a useful guide for the newbies/scrubs like me yet?

(I don’t want to hear anything about #R Eddie, as I don’t even know how to play regular xx yet.)

Thanks to anybody who replies.

Holy major bumpage Batman!

Anyway, as a fellow Eddie learner, I’d practice first how to pressure with the shadow and without the shadow (usually with Drills). Shadow Buzzsaw is a good starter to put pressure on a grounded opponent that isn’t actively moving (i.e. wakeup, blockstun).

If the Buzzsaw is blocked, you can try to keep the pressure on (you’re building their guard bar) using mixup strings (usually c.K (hold), c.S (hold), release K (Shadow does Buzzsaw), release S, 2S, dash in and repeat if needed) to try to get them to eat the Buzzsaw or if they try to jump out at least use the Claw to (hopefully) knock them out. Or if they’re scared to do anything, just dash up and command grab them into an unblockable setup. Of course this all changes if they either Dead Angle, Burst, or have an invincible DP/super…

If they eat the initial Buzzsaw, follow up with a dash-in c.P, c.K(hold), c.S(hold), release K (Buzzsaw hits again), repeat string again, then end that string with a Dust into air combo. Note that this works when you’re in the corner to midscreen though. If you get the opponent to the other corner anytime after the first Buzzsaw hits, just forego the rest of the combo and follow up with a Dust into Unblockable setup. Or if you’re feeling gutsy, just stop the string in the middle and go for a command grab into Unblockable setup.

The above is just a small part of Eddie’s game; he’s kind of hard to master compared to Dust-happy Sol or Bite-happy Slayer. I’d check Gamecombos.com and search their forums for more stuff on Eddie. I’m sure they have a beginner guide somewhere in there…

Thanks for the buzzsaw tips. I checked the gamecombos forums already, but I didn’t like anything anybody had to say there. Either it was bad info or it had nothing to do with learning basics in the first place. Has Kono or anybody else who plays this character good in tournies written anything useful yet?

I’ve been practicing these so far…

-2S xx hard drill, FRC, iad, j <S, HS>
The hardest part is getting the FRC timing down. Does anybody know the frame data? Stupid thing feels like it’s one frame or something.

-dash up 2P, 5K, close S…
The generic 3 hit ground chain I use. From there, I wait a little bit, then…

-far S (one hit), 2S xx drill
The dragon move is pretty good. All that put together has been the basic blocked/pressure string I’ve been using.

What’s all that crap with the dolphin and mines?

-dash up 5K, close S, sweep xx 236HS, hold D, (wait), release D, dash up 5K…

Now what do I do after this “unblockable”? I know there’s a whole bunch of stuff involving the 236S move as well. The eddie uppercut. Anybody have anything basic I can practice with that?

For the sake of simplicity, I’ll refer to the character as Zato and the shadow summon as Eddie.

-2S xx hard drill, FRC, iad, j <S, HS>
The hardest part is getting the FRC timing down. Does anybody know the frame data? Stupid thing feels like it’s one frame or something.

I still can’t FRC Drill consistently yet either, haha. Though I seem to get it often when I time it the exact time Zato raises his hand to summon the drill…

-dash up 2P, 5K, close S…
The generic 3 hit ground chain I use. From there, I wait a little bit, then…

You can omit the 2P because 5K is a low hit too.

-far S (one hit), 2S xx drill
The dragon move is pretty good. All that put together has been the basic blocked/pressure string I’ve been using.

Once you get FRC Drill down, your pressure options become better since you can summon Buzzsaw after the Drill faster or hell, even go for a Command Throw once they’re out of blockstun from the Drill.

**What’s all that crap with the dolphin and mines?

-dash up 5K, close S, sweep xx 236HS, hold D, (wait), release D, dash up 5K…

Now what do I do after this “unblockable”? I know there’s a whole bunch of stuff involving the 236S move as well. The eddie uppercut. Anybody have anything basic I can practice with that? **

You can do (after the release D, d.5K):

The Basic Mine Midscreen Unblockable

-c.5S (hold), JC 9, release S (Shadow Claw comes out and should combo after the c.5S), Shadow Gallery (41236S), plant Bomb while Shadow Gallery is coming out (should hit opponent only once, which is on the way up), land, Break The Law (214K) to other side of opponent to trap them between Zato and the Bomb, jump up, meaty K on wake up, JC K, S, HS (Bomb activates to set off Unblockable), land, c.5S, JC K, HS, D

Note that this can be done in the corner too but you have to position Eddie so that the Shadow Claw will not whiff past the opponent. If you land it in the corner, just skip the Break The Law part and go for the meaty K wake up stuff.

There are ways out of that Unblockable though. But if they aren’t prepared for it, then use it. If they’re used to the Unblockable, just do (after the release D, d.5K):

-c.5S (hold), JC 9, release S (Shadow Claw comes out), Shadow Gallery but hold S after doing it, release S (Shadow Claw comes out) to juggle opponent on way down from Shadow Gallery, sj.K, S, HS, D

Notes regarding the Dolphin Unblockable (release D, d.5K):

-People can DP or super through it if they anticipate it. In that case, instead of doing d.5K after releasing D, do a Drill instead (FRC preferred afterwards). That way if they DP through it, Zato isn’t at risk and can punish their DP afterwards. If the Drill hits, it’s still an Unblockable but the opponent get floored instead. I think you can still combo off it if you can get a d.5S© and JC into usual air combo if you’re in range.

Oh yeah, if you land a Dust in the corner and Eddie is still out and has enough time on the bar remaining for anything plus a Bomb, go for an ID (Impossible Dust) Unblockable Setup. I usually do (after a Dust):

-hj.D(Eddie might usually do a Dolphin here, which takes a chunk of the bar), hj.D(ID)(hold), 41236S(hold) (doesn’t matter if it hits once or twice; opponent can’t tech), plant Bomb, go for Unblockable.

If you’re not sure about Eddie having enough time on the bar to set up the Bomb, just skip the first hj.D so Eddie won’t do any attacks until the Bomb is set. You might have to alter the timing on the hj.D(ID)(hold) so it’ll be an Impossible Dust and the opponent can’t tech out.

Random things I’m still learning:

-There’s a way to set up an Unblockable from a Dust in midscreen, but I hear it’s random or something. Maybe Kono or anyone else can explain this since I can’t get it down. At all.

i see a lot of air combos ppl did in mwc…does anyone know the buttons for those?