Going from 3D to 2D

I understand Tekken, I understand Soul Calibur, I understand Virtua Fighter and I understand DOA.

I just don’t get 2D fighters.

In 3D its moreso I am going to get a knock down to mix you up with throws/mids or lows/mids.

And I am going to poke you with like jabs or AA/BB’s depending on the game. Use the environment to my advantage and then I have certain kinds of movement for spacing…

In 2D fighters im like all I am trying to do is build meter then get that poke to link into super?

I can’t fully grasp 2D fighters… Could someone be kind enough to break it down for me the most basic way possible?

ahhh yes the ol’ going 3d to 2d. well let me start of with… you know what… it’s just easier to pour gasonline on yourself and light a match.

lol

seriously whats not to get, those games you mentioned are pretty much 2D, you have to hold a button down to use the 3rd dimension or tap a direction twice. I do not see whats so hard to grasp, or is it the part about blocking whilst pulling back instead of having a button for block lol

Well there’s crossups, 2-in-1’s, Guard Breaks, Super Jump Canceling, Meaties, so on and so forth. I really don’t know what to tell you =/

Sorry that I can’t be of much help =(

hold back to block in tekken and you can hold back or the guard button to block in doa.

Controlling space and stuff seems a little weird to me in 2d

I strongly suggest you watch Sirlin’s tutorials from CCC2 on SSFIIT. You can probably find them on Youtube if you look for them. It’s the absolute basics when it comes to space control, and pretty much applies to all fighting games, in one way or another.

I swear I wish I could give you a really well-informed, meaningful response because I think you deserve one, but I’m such a scrub on both sides of the fence I’d probably just be talking out of my ass. :smile:

It’d actually be cool to see an answer from somebody who plays a number of both 2D and 3D titles at a competent level. DevilJin01, maybe?

The best I can do is this: the gains or rewards for being in an advantageous situation relative to your opponent are often collected upon more indirectly, but the advantageous situation can be held for a longer period of time. (To clarify, by “advantage” I’m actually referring to having more good options with better risk/reward, and not the frames-jargon sense.)

what game are you playing, first of all.

goals in 3s are different than st than they are in gg, and they are pretty character specific as well (some characters want meter as their #1 goal, others absolutely need a knockdown, while others can be played “as you see fit”).

the best way to play the game is watch a video, find out what the persons overall goal seems to be with a specific character. then utilize as many different ways as you can to achieve that goal.

forget building your meter…

get good with just your bare hands,… when good with bare hands, try the specials & supers…

i play 2d & 3d games but in 2d games you have to know a bit more about your opponent moves how long they reach and what you can do about them,

Good luck figuring it out!!

Being a 3D gamer gone 2D, i 100% understand.

The mixups in 2D games are different. Depends on the game, too, of course.

3S, SFII and SFIV and games like that which are about footsies, I can’t help with.

however, the newer games have mixups. Crossups are a form of mixing up, getting them to block wrong. Also, in some games, you can do instant overheads (or just plain overheads) which catch them if they’re blocking low. Some games have it so they can’t block certain moves (or at all) in the air. Get them to jump and nail them with that. And there’s always the throw/attack mixup.

The thing about some 2D games is that it’s a lot more combo focused, and a lot more situation oriented than 3D games. In Tekken, you launch and unless their back is turned, you do the combo. Walls make things change a little, but overall, its pretty easy to judge that. Same in 2D games, you have your basic B&B, but depending on situations and meter and such, different combos are better to use. Learning all those situational combos are what makes it so hard sometimes.

It really depends on what game you’re trying to learn. I play 2D games, but to me, the difference between SFIV and Arcana Heart 2 are so huge, that they’re not even on the same plane of fighters. Arcana is a combo based fighter (as is Melty Blood, Guilty Gear, etc) and SFIV is a footsies game (as is ST, 3S, etc), and they simply can’t be played the same. Some people can be good at both, of course, but other people can only play one type. I don’t even really understand SFIV, so I can’t explain it. But its definitely way easier to play a 3D game than a 2D game, imo. So be prepared for it to feel very uphill, but as people said, watch video’s, see what they’re doing and why they’re winning. Once you start to see that, you can begin to emulate.

allstyles - Same in 3D games, you have to know how far an opponents move is gonna go so you know if it’ll whiff or if you can punish it with a certain move, if so, what move. All depends on the recovery of the move and the reach and so on. You don’t need to know that stuff any less in 3D games, imo.

2D games don’t have sidestepping, so you don’t have to worry about moves tracking.

midlevel attacks are generally overheads, and considered special cases. Mid attacks are more overpowering in 2-D fighters

commands throws are usually unbreakable in 2-D fighters.

Throws work a lot differently in both games. Throws in 2-D games do less damage, but are a little harder to avoid.

Juggles of course work differently in 2-D games, and every game juggling system is different. More modern 2-D games have air chains from, superjump cancels. Even slower 2-D games have this.

move exeutions require are less frames than 3-D games. In 3-D games a poke is 7-11 frames. In 2-D games a basic poke is anywhere between 2-5 frames. The number of frames are less across the board.

Poke and pressure strings are not canned in 2-D flighters. you need to chain normals together into a special most of the time. In some games you can cancel certain special moves (like FRCs in guilty Gear). You have to improvise on pressure strings more in 2-D games.

I’m basing this on my knowlede of VF though. I know you have certain strings in Tekken for each character. I’m not so sure about SC, since I know nothing about that game.

Space, poke, don’t jump to much, block and combo.

Play on ggpo

In the same boat. I want to get into 2d but I’m strugling. One thing I’m struggling with in particular is that I’m used to acting upon frame data, (this much advantage i do this, this much disadvantage i do this). 2D seems a lot more about simply knowing what beats what based on priority.

haha

zoning

patience and zoning

Play ST. I am serious, just see how the game works and use it as a foundation for all other games. As previously mentioned, the Sirlin CCC2 tutorials are great.

Jumping in always appears to be so advantageous since it yields so many options while decreasing those of the opponent. But it is a Hail Mary. If you are playing CvS2 then roll is also a Hail Mary. Try your best to stay calm and not always go for the obvious option.

Characters are given moves which have certain purposes. It is essential that you learn the purpose of your character’s tools. It also helps to learn of the tools of the characters you don’t use, but you’ll eventually learn that through competition. Some moves are good for poking, others are good to prevent your opponent from poking. Some are anti-air(hitting the opponent out of an aerial attack), Shoryuken and Somersault Kick are obvious AA’s but it’s important to know ALL of the AA’s. Guile won’t have his Somersault charged all the time.

Some attacks can be canceled into other attacks or stun the opponent long enough to do another attack. Learning these will increase your capacity to put pressure on the opponent and/or do damage.
Chain = Bryan Fury’s 1,4
Link = T5DR Wang Jinrei’s b+2,**1, 1,**4
Basically, if something is being canceled into something else, it’s a chain. If an attack hits and you can continue comboing after the attack has finished animating, it’s a link.

If controlling space is what you have trouble understanding, then I think you should play old school fighters(particularly HF and/or ST). There are some 2D fighters in which spacial control is hardly a matter, so you may get confused.

Don’t let big dudes get in your face, their throws can’t be broken and they do Paul Deathfist damage. :rofl:

EDIT: down/back is the go-to defensive position. Compared to 3D, 2D fighters are lacking in the overhead department. Low attacks and throws are much more dangerous(depending on the game, crouching won’t help much against throwing). As you play, you’ll become privy to the overheads in the game and will be able to properly block them

Honestly, ggpo, Super Turbo and asking people would probably the best and by far quickest way to learn.
Also, in that game, ChunLi. Best character to learn the basics of a 2d fighter ever.

Okay, the basics: learn which of you basic moves (punches, kicks) have what reach, speed and invulnerability. Power is 2nd rate at first. The moves are a LOT different from each other compared to a 3d fighter.
As an example, with ChunLi you’d end up with standing medium punch, very fast, good reach and causes a lot of blockstun. Jab, on the opposite is even faster, but has very low reach and blockstun making it much more fickle.
The 2nd move you’d find is crouching medium kick. Very fast and enormous reach.

With those two normals alone you can to a lot of pressure. Add in jumping foward mk and jumping upward kick (all 3 are good). And you can already do a lot with her. Not to forget that when making pressure with Chun, forward+medium punch throw for substantial damage.

Not special move, no combos, no supers, nothing yet. Those are the pure basics and you can get very far just on them. At least far enough that no random scrub will beat you. Unless you pick a grappler, those usually rely on being able to play really well or loose terribly. :sweat: