Graphics card query

Can I use a graphics card (pci x2.0) in a pci x16 slot? I keep seeing online that it’s backwards compatible, but I can’t tell if people are stating that yes, I CAN plug a 2.0 card into an x16 slot, or if they’re saying I can plug a x16 card into an x2.0 slot.

Yes, you can.

Awesome…maybe around christmas I’ll upgrade my mobo to something with native pci 2.0 support. I will definitely buy another video card sometime in the next 3 months (after today’s purchase, that is), though. Damn integrated graphics card can barely let me play re4 in it’s smallest window at a decent speed, and that’s with a quad core processor. ANYTHING would be better, but I’m going for this:

CompUSA.com | A4670PE31GDT | ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI

and bumping up my 450-watt power supply to this

CompUSA.com | LSP650 | Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply

Just to clarify this:

It’s a PCIe x16 1.x and 2.x that you are referring too, they are both PCIe x16. The difference is just the ability of those 16 lanes to move the data. the 2.0 will be faster than the 1.0, but any 2.0 card will work in a 1.0 slot.

also, the particular card you posted is more on the lines of a media center card. you will get TONS better performance than your onboard, but if you can even spring for a 5750 (about an extra 50), it’ll get you further and perform a lot better.

also if you wanted to save as much as possible on this, you could cut back on the Power supply a bit. it doesn’t sound like you’ll be running a really heavy machine, so if you have a decent 450 already, it’ll still be enough to power everything you have.

def try to grab at least 5770, but i wouldnt suggest cutting back on psu. You dont want w/e your building the die because of a bad PSU. Its like the #1 thing that isnt cut back on for every build, not to get a shitty psu.

Always a better idea to save up and make sure you can build the PC up evenly, try to make sure nothing bottlenecks

Well…I kinda don’t have a choice on the power supply. My current one doesn’t have a 6-Pin PCI-Express Connector, and I’m told I need one for this card.

Just a thought, but I would go with this card instead:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100273L Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I have used these in previous builds for a few of my clients, and they are pretty powerful for the price. Its 256-bit instead of the 128-bit card you posted.

Also, as far as power supplies go, I love the ones from Corsair. This one is 650watt with 52amps on a single 12v rail:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Its up to you though, just thought I would throw out a few good alternatives to your choices. Good luck! :tup:

On the other hand, I think I’ll just go with

CompUSA.com | LS500 | Ultra LS500 500-Watt Power Supply

All i need is just one pcie connector, anyway.

I would go with a Corsair PSU, haven’t really heard of that brand. How much are you willing to spend on both a PSU and GPU?

Maybe later this year, 200+. I’m installing what I bought today at the moment.

you can have a kick ass PSU for 40$ certified 500w throughtput, but tested up to 630w without a hitch :

Anteq Basiq 500. it has a flaw though it is not exactly silent.

now if you want cool looking / silent one of the same electronic quality you are going to have to invest double the price, just check what your retailer sells and then google their references until you find some review by one of the sites on the following page.

Hardware Secrets Power Supply Test Methodology | Hardware Secrets

when you find one that suits your needs in terms of throughtput silence and airflow, that has a good reviews just buy it.

I don’t know what people have with corsair PSU, they are decent some are good some aren’t, just like the rest check their reviews first, check that there isn’t a better product at a better price.

Brands are overrated.

Can a x16 1.0 go into a 2.0 slot though? Out of curiosity.

OMG, re5 runs beautifully (65-80 fps fullscreen), with better graphics than console. I think I’ll be happy with this setup for a while…now to snag dmc4.

What did you end up getting?

Initial card in first post, and a 500 watt ps. And now I find out about this mod where re5 has realistic colors…truly, this is a good day.

yes everything works in everything

1.0 VGA will work in a 2.0 Pcie 16X slot regardless of the real bus size of the slot ( performance might be seriously crippled though if running a high end VGA on a 4x, on lower end VGA it would not matter much ) of course it is going to run like a 1.0 PCie device

2.0 VGA will work in a 1.0 Pcie 16x slot regardless of the real bus size of the slot ( performance might be seriously crippled though if running a high end VGA on a 4x on lower end VGA it would not matter much ) of course it is going to run like a 1.0 PCie device