Ground Wire Grapple + Assist Properties

spencer

So while I was messing around with Spencer I noticed that if you’re using any sort of chain combo, or rather any time you use the :l: or :m: Wire Grapple in a combo, you can call your assist and if you time it correctly your grapple hand will hit, your assist will hit, and THEN you can reel them in for any of the followups! Has anybody figured this out yet? If so feel free to shut me up now. Outside of adding damage to your standard ground chains I’m not really sure how relevant it is but once some Spencer fanatics start incorporating it I’d love to see their results.

Ok, so let’s say you have either Ryu or Akuma’s standard Hurricane Kicks assists on, say Ryu this time, the combo would look a little something like this: :l:,:m:,:h:,:a1:,:qcf::l:. The timing is a bit strict, you have to hit the assist button right after :h: yet also get :qcf::l: Wire Grapple to cancel :h:. What happens is that your Wire Grapple attaches to your enemy, Ryu hits them, pushing them to the far side of the screen with your arm still attached, and then you can choose which followup you want to use to reel them in and punish.

What’s interesting is that while the Standard Wire grapple gives you about a half second to decide which followup to use, this actually extends the time you have to decide what you want to do because the grapple stays on for the entirety of your assists attack. Also, it doesn’t matter where the assist attack takes them. Whether it’s straight up (Hulks anti-air assist) or all the way across the screen (Hurricane Kicks) Spencer’s grapple holds on.

Another interesting property to this combo is that you can reel in your opponent at any time during your assist’s attack. Ryu’s Hurricane Kick assist hits three time but you can reel them in after the first hit to punch them into the corner. I haven’t experimented with this aspect so much but I’m assuming that with a little practice you might be able to incorporate the reel in and subsequent followup to allow one assist to hit multiple times. Maybe? Probably not but you never know.

Definitely try this out if you didn’t know about it before and I’d love to hear some of your guys’ thoughts on this. Sorry I don’t have any video to post of this but I’m sure you guys will be able to figure it out.

PEACE!

A great example of showing the longevity of Wire Grapple after connecting before an assist is using it in tandem with Skrull’s Tenderizer. :d::l:, :a1:, :d::m:, :d::h:, :qcf::l:. Grapples through all the punches. It should be noted that I made a mistake in the first post. Connecting with an assist in a combo and then using Wire Grapple is just about the same thing. You don’t need to connect the Wire Grapple before they hit unless the assist would blow the enemy away, hitting during the assist is fine too.

Another fun example for 540,000 dmg while using C. Viper’s Burning Kick assist: is j:h:, :d::l:, :a1:, :d::m:, :d::h:, Wire Grapple -> :l:, :uf::m:Wiregrapple, and depending on the distance you can either combo or do the Bionic Lancer. Fun stuff!

Wow great find. So the grapple will stay in as long as the assist continues to hit, and will even stay attached if they get bounced or popped into the air? Amazing I can wait to get home and mess with this.
Im gonna see how this will work with Sents Drones and Haggers Violent Axe. Might have to send Sent out early or find a longer normal combo to get the Drones on them in time.

Rep +

Let me know if you figure anything out dude, and thanks for the props. I’ve got a combo that uses Haggar’s Steel Pipe assist and Wesker’s gun assist that can actually connect 5 Wire Grapples. Back to training mode!

I was disappointed when I found out that Wire Grapple will not go through projectiles and still grab the opponent. That would’ve been so cool.

Loving Spencer at the moment he is a good character just very underrated imo

I found it easy to otg with Wesker’s assist and do a ground grapple with its followups.

I just feel C followup is pretty risky (a command grab afterwards whiffs, and faster characters hit you before anyway), so rather than doing it for mindgames, I find going for more damage is more useful. But that’s another story…

New Technology:
Although this is character and situation specific, Spencer’s wire grapple attack (as well as the assists that grapple) seem to be a nice way to shut down the golden Hsienko assist. The grapple, being a projectile, hits Hsienko and tries to latch on. Since you cannot grab assists, but golden Hsienko is still susceptible to grabs, she falls down like any other assist would after being hit and retreats without performing her attack. Might cause those of us using the armor piercer assist to switch to wire grapple for this matchup.

Short version: Wire grapple knocks golden Hsienko assist down.

I was shocked to find out how much I enjoy Spencer, and just spent a while looking for assists. So far, my team is Spencer, Wolverine, Akuma.

Akuma’s tatsu assist feels really good for setting up ground to air arm grab combos and Wolverine’s berserker barrage seems to be decent for setting up air to ground arm grab combos as well. And if Spencer dies, Wolverine has nasty rushdown Chemistry with Akuma.

I also like that Spencer’s wall bounce assist can be used to extend Akuma’s combos.

Spencer is awesome! Something I’m really excited about in general is how easy it is for him to put someone in the corner. One launcher combo into OTG Wire Grapple into another launch combo sets up HUGE damage combos with an OTG assist. Right now I’ve got a beast of a combo, 900,000 damage abouts, with Spencer, Haggar, and Wesker. It needs a DHC in the corner for all the damage but it can even be done mid-screen for about 700k.

@TWK?
Really! Great find man! Definitely going to switch to Grapple assist there.

Another thing that works.

I use She-hulk/Spencer/Spidey

If you call a web ball assist right before you do a ground wire grapple L to H (pulling them in) The web ball connects RIGHT when they come beside you meaning instant combo/hyper/whatever!

Guys after Spencer Assist wire grapple pulls u down either one, does an OTG move work?
My main plan is use X-23 point an let them come to me with spencer’s assist, then have my third
character provide support for Spencer like Iron Man…

So can someone try that out if it does then that would be great, if it doesn’t then the assist is useless…

Wrong place sorry!!!

What are the go-to follow-up moves to a successful Wire Grapple? It seems like every time I reel someone in, I’m the one getting comboed instead of the opponent even when I jab, which should be his quickest attack.

I seriously doubt Capcom made a successful wire grapple even frames because that would make zero sense.

After the reel-in, you are at +2. Now this isn’t anything that gives you a followup for certain, but it does create a few situations. Since spencers fastest normal is on a 6 frame startup, and other people like x-23 have 4 frame startups, you will either both hit or you get stuffed if perfect timing is given. Basically your standing light becomes as fast as theirs, but the command throw has a 5 frame startup and Armor piercer has a 4 frame startup at close range. So essentially if they pressed a button, Armor piercer smacks them in the face. If you have frame perfect timing, and they did anything but a jump or a normal throw they get command grabbed into a combo. Sadly this is rarely the case unless you are a machine so you might want to just consider a regular throw after the 2 frames of advantage since they start up in 1 frame.

tl;dr = You are at +2, standing light has 6 frame startup (usefulness matchup dependent), armor piercer (risky but will beat out their normals), command grab (supposed to work on anything but a jump or normal throw with frame perfect timing), regular grab (1 frame startup).

Main point: Use the Light or Medium followups instead.

After the reel-in, you are at +2. Now this isn’t anything that gives you a followup for certain, but it does create a few situations. Since spencers fastest normal is on a 6 frame startup, and other people like x-23 have 4 frame startups, you will either both hit or you get stuffed if perfect timing is given. Basically your standing light becomes as fast as theirs, but the command throw has a 5 frame startup and Armor piercer has a 4 frame startup at close range. So essentially if they pressed a button, Armor piercer smacks them in the face. If you have frame perfect timing, and they did anything but a jump or a normal throw they get command grabbed into a combo. Sadly this is rarely the case unless you are a machine so you might want to just consider a regular throw after the 2 frames of advantage since they start up in 1 frame.

tl;dr = You are at +2, standing light has 6 frame startup (usefulness matchup dependent), armor piercer (risky but will beat out their normals), command grab (supposed to work on anything but a jump or normal throw with frame perfect timing), regular grab (1 frame startup).

Main point: Use the Light or Medium followups instead.

I think people using H followup after the first grapple are plain silly, but it has valuable surprise reset potential if used at the end of a combo; especially a jcc H grapple because they can’t see what followup you’re doing until later than a more standard grapple situation.

After Corner OTG Wire, :a1:~j:h:, land, :qcf::h:~reel in, assist hits, :qcf::s: xx :qcf::l::m:, DHC damage scaling reset.

It allows Spencer to hit confirm into DHC damage scaling reset without the assistance of an OTG assist or cutting his BnB drastically short, though the combo needs to be adjusted a bit (worst case scenario, you have to drop the armor breaker) depending on what assist you plan on using. You could also use an assist that will intentionally not combo just to pin them down and let Spencer go for crossup/fakecrossup.

Reel in has it’s uses in combos :slight_smile: