It was something i got to thinking about recently. There are a few characters in SF4 that make pretty useful tactics using option selects, and while there isn’t near as much emphasis on them as in a game like 3rd strike, they still have potential to be useful.
For the uninformed an option select is using multiple inputs simultaneously to cover multiple situations at the same time. In SF4, crouch teching is an example. By waiting a few frames then hitting down, light punch, and light kick, you will either poke or tech a throw (or get thrown through your poke… it’s really not a good option select, but it is an example.)
Not that this revolves around button prority. From least important to most important, it goes :lp::lk::mp::mk::hp::hk:, special normals, throws, FA, taunt. Somewhere in there, special normals take special prioirity as well. I think if you hit :r:+:lk::mk::hk: I’m pretty sure your forward sobat will come out. I don’t think that that has priority over throws though. What all that just meant though is that is you hit all 6 buttons at once, a taunt would come out. If you hit all three punches, an hp would come out. If you hit lp, mp, hp, and lk, a throw would come out. This is important to understand option selects fundamentally. :nunchuck:
Through what thought I’ve put into it thus far, I’m not sure guile had any that were really useful. One possible option select I thought up applies to your ops’ wakeup.
- Sit point blank, holding db.
- Once they get up, wait a VERY short amount of time (about 4-5 frames) and hit :db::lp::lk::mk:
- If they went for a wakeup throw, it will tech.
- If they went for a wakeup shoryu, you will block it and still have your down charge for a punish.
- If they block, c.mk will come out, you can transition into target combo.
- Instead of c.mk, you could also use c.mp xx boom. Possibly a better idea due to the safety and speed of c.mp.
EDIT: DAS LIST!
Updating the original post here with what we have so far and a brief description of uses.
Defensive Option Selects:
- db > lk+lp
- Your basic crouch tech. If they try to throw in the middle of a block string you will either tech the throw, stick out a c.lk, or get thrown out of your c.lk. Gets beaten by delayed normal strings (Dictator c.lk > s.hp) or random invincible reversals like EX messiah kick or shoryus. For best results, use it slightly delayed.
- db > lk+lp+mp (xx sonic boom)
- Crouch tech with a twist. Same concept but a cancellable c.mp comes out instead. C.mp somes out just as fast as c.lk too. Able to beat out some hop-kick or dive-kick type moves.
- db > lk+lp+hp
- Main use is for trying to beat things like rufus divekick pressure. Caution: divekicks can still beat this and c.hp is UNSAFE on block. It’s also easier to throw since it has a slower startup.
Offensive Option Selects:
- df > lk > lk + hk
- Wakeup backdash punish. Use only when point blank for best results. If your first c.lk whiffs, the df.hk will come out, allowing you to combo a backfist. If they block or get hit by the first c.lk, the next c.lk will chain allowing you to go for a mixup on block, or follow through with c.lk > c.lk > s.lp > s.hp on hit! Works on about half the cast midscreen and most of the cast in the corner. Will post the list here later.
- c.lk > move stick to forward > lk+hp
- Wakeup backdash punish. Same concept as above, except using backfist instead of df.hk. Less damage, but works on the entire cast (still needs testing to verify 100%… may not work on makoto or oily hakan). On hit, can followup with c.lk > s.lk > s.lp > s.hp. Sick looking combo.
- db.mp > f.lp ~ hp
- Wakeup backdash punish. Either will get c.mp xx boom or c.mp (whiff) > backfist. Needs testing. More than likely very matchup dependant.
- c.mk > f.mp ~ f.hp
- Wakeup backdash punish. Either will get the target combo on hit or block; or c.mk (whiff) > backfist. Needs further testing. Very matchup dependent.
- db.mk > f > b > f > mash PPP (U2 only)
- Wakeup backdash punish. Either will get target combo c.mk > f.mp or c.mk (whiff) > U2. The c.mk must be done VERY meaty to work, and even then, will only work on about half the cast normally, and most of the cast in the corner. As an added bonus, it will also punish any strength wakeup back teleport from Seth, Dhalsim, and Dictator! Will even auto-correct to punish the forward teleport, but this won’t work on Seth. Also, I wouldn’t suggest using this on metered dictator, since he can just wakeup EX headstomp or devil’s reverse. Will make the list soon. Theoreticaly, this can also be done with U1… probably very character / corner specific.
- db.mp > f > b > f > lp ~ PPP (U2 only)
- Wakeup backdash punish. More consistent than the target combo OS due to c.mp’s better recovery. This still needs some testing. Theoreticaly, this can also be done with U1… probably very character / corner specific.
- Meaty j.hk > throw ~ s.hp
- Abel wakeup EX roll punish. If the j.hk connects, the game slows down slightly and ignores your throw input, and your slightly delayed s.hp will come out. If he rolls, your j.hk will whiff and you will throw him out of his roll. If he backdashes, you will safely whiff a throw.
- -non-meaty crossup lk ~ GHK… (By Jimmy the Saint)
After you get a knockdown, sometimes you can choose to go for a meaty crossup lk for some extra pressure. If you intentionally time the crossup a tiny bit late, a reversal happy Balrog or Guile will NOT auto-correct and you can land safely and tag him with a GHK! If they block or get hit by the crossup lk, you can keep right on with your normal block string (ie. d.lk, d.lp, d.mp > Boom). I’ve tested this out on Balrog’s Headbutt and Guile’s Flashkick and they both get tagged by this. I’m hoping it will punish bad Teleports, Chun Li Hazanshus(sp?) and Blanka Up Balls also, but I haven’t gotten around to testing it.
**Character** **c.lk + df.hk** **s.lk + f.hp** **c.mp xx SB ~ f.hp** **c.mk > f.mp ~ f.hp** **c.mp xx SB ~ U2** **c.mk > f.mp ~ U2** Abel Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes Adon No ? ? ? ? No Akuma Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes Blanka No ? ? ? ? No Boxer No Yes ? ? ? No Cammy No ? ? ? ? No Chun Li No ? ? ? ? No Claw No ? ? ? ? No Cody Yes ? ? ? ? Yes Dan Corner ? ? ? ? Corner Dee Jay Yes ? ? ? ? Yes Dhalsim Yes Yes ? Yes ? Yes Dictator Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes Dudley Corner ? ? ? ? Corner El Fuerte No ? ? ? ? No Fei long Corner ? ? ? ? Corner Gen Corner ? ? ? ? Corner Gouken Yes ? ? ? ? Yes Guile Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes Guy Corner ? ? ? ? Corner Hakan Yes ? ? ? ? Yes Honda Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes Ibuki Corner ? ? ? ? Corner Juri Corner Yes ? ? ? No Ken Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes Makoto Corner ? ? ? ? Yes Rose No ? ? ? ? No Rufus Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes Ryu Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes Sagat Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes Sakura Corner ? ? ? ? Corner Seth Corner ? ? ? ? Corner T. Hawk Yes ? ? ? ? Yes Viper Corner Yes ? ? ? Yes Zangief Yes Yes ? ? ? Yes
Experimental Option Selects:
- c.lp xx EX boom ~ U2
- An idea for El fuerte. Would punish EX run back as well as backdash in theory… may also auto-correct the U2 if he EX spaghetti legs on wakeup… definately needs testing. Seems difficult to do.