Guile thread

Guile’s donkey kick is much safer than bazooka knee for advancing with charge when fighting shotos - specially Ryu. The latter will eat random scrub tatsus that donkey kicks would not. Keep that in mind when throwing your booms, from any range but full screen.

Some very good anti-shoto Guile play in this shoto-Guile-only tournament:

The tournament starts around 0:50 or the like in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NcazE2jciU

16:38, 16:58, etc.

Respectig the “sonic kick”, after watching Muteki and then Mor guile do it, i think that the fastest way posible to do it after a sonic boom, is moving the stick to df after the f+p, if you’re using a japanese stick with square gate, thats the less road traveled, then you can just do a half circle back to return to db and charge for another sonic boom, and you already have the flash kick.

With the amount of time practicing it i assure you it’s super fast, personally i don’t use it with dictator but if i were a guile player, i’ll do it.

Of course if you’re planing to do sonic boom after sonic boom the old method is faster.

so simple and so brilliant

that changes the hawk matchup big time.

Is there any thing guile can do to beat chun’s head stomp or should you just block high?

Depends on the spacing and timing. Typically if she’s directly above your head, I use cl.st.mk. Very underrated move that works pretty well against Chun. Best option is to walk past her and do cl.st.fierce for max damage punish. Alternatively, you can do cl.st.strong for better frame advantage at the expense of damage.

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Chun-Li_(ST)#Command_Normals

Shit has priority over pretty much anything in the game that’s not invulnerable. Eltrouble’s advice is good since that move can beat or trade with several aerial attacks, but odds are you will be hit by Chun’s head stomp if she goes for that, and it’s a very bad idea to just block every jump-in of Chun’s, since then you will be vulnerable to throws and combos as she lands.

If you are not cornered, you can hit her from behind after the head stomp.

Thanks, I have a lot of trouble with that match up. More so than O Sagat or Claw for whatever reason. She is just so fast and her normals are so good.

A lot of it is knowing what ranges you want to keep yourself at. At far distances, you can actually trade cr.fierce with her jump attacks and it’ll trade in your favor. At medium range distance, she has a bit of an advantage. She can jump over your sonic boom on reaction and beat a lot of your standard anti-airs clean, which lets to putting you in a mixup situation against Chun’s pressure. This is never a good thing. Closer than that, you force her to either use fireballs or walk forward to close the gap. You can match fireballs to maintan neutral frame advantage, or she throws a really late fireball to match yours, you can follow up with a backfist. This is the perfect range to be at, since if she jumps, if you have fast reactions, you’re actually able to walk underneath her and hit her from the other side. This is a pretty crucial skill that I don’t see a lot of Guiles doing.

God help you if you fight a Chun who actually knows how to properly turtle and build up meter asap. Then it comes a headache.

It is a good idea to study Muteki, Kotaka Shoten and Kurahashi. They have very good anti-Chun game. Check how they use the sobat kick in several ways that give Chun trouble, and the use of far.strong against jump-ins from a certain distance. Guile demands a very deep distance awareness in this match-up, but he can play against Chun.

Mars also has experience against her, since he used to play a lot against Chris “Techmonkey” Doyle.

I’ve been watching a lot of Muteki stuff, he is a great player. I guess I just have trouble implementing some of the stuff I see/read. I have a bad tendency to try to flash kick the headstomp since it beats almost every other jump-in in the game, really bad habit for that match though. I think I just need more experience, there aren’t too many good chun players on ggpo that I have seen except for CUPYAKISOBA who is a really good Japanese player.

Flash kick should beat the head stomp if properly timed. The key is to do it late, so that Guile is invulnerable during her attack. In either case, it’s another reason that walk-under anti-airs should be used. She has no counter for it if you get the spacing right.

There are plenty of decent Chun players on ggpo. Llamah and Unessential are fairly solid players that should give you good practice.

^^^ Those guys suck. If you really want to play a good chun, look for papercut. That guy is a fucking beast. Guile players will always have charge ready, because the rush down is so intense, it’ll be like they have down back physically bolted down on their stick. Papercut might actually be an alt account otochun is using to play on GGPO. Man, that guy, papercut is really sexy.

my old chun li is a bigger threat

I shouldn’t have said I hadn’t seen many good chun players on GGPO because Skidmarked Panties and Llamah both beat my ass today.

Both are strong intermediate-to-high-intermediate players. They’re also both very helpful and willing to offer advice if you ask.

You’re right though. Most chun players on ggpo are crap. They think chun takes no skill to learn and choose her for the gimmicks. But it does say a little about your play since the match is about 7-3 for chun. If you see SMP and llamah often go and ask them. I feel SMP is more solid in his play than llamah though. You can also ask zagi and paper cut. Great chuns as well (IMO, better than SMP and llamah, although paper cut can be a bit trolly). I’m on rarely but if you can catch me on I can help you with the matchup too. There used to be more chuns but they don’t show up on ggpo much anymore (since the summer, I’ve dialed down a lot too…)

I think I have the timing down for hitting the neckbreaker with flash kick, you were right eltrouble you just have to do it late and it will beat it. I was doing better against another Chun I played yesterday by knocking her down and doing the cross up or a tick throw. I think I understand the match better now but it’s still one of the more difficult ones. If you get a hard knock down is it worth going for j short (switching between cross up and normal), cr strong xx flash kick and if she blocks just a tick throw?

Personally, I’d always go for the ambiguous crossup after a knockdown. If you can space and time it properly, it’s pretty hard to guess which side Guile will hit. Hit confirm into combo of your choice.

If she blocks, you can either play it safe and do cr.strong, cr.short x sonic boom, or you can go for tick throws. Tick throws have a bit of risk, since there’s a good chance she’ll counter throw you first. Chun can make Guile cry for days if you get caught in her throw loop mixups. The alternative is to mix up your tick throw setups. cr.jab ~ throw, cr.jab x2 ~ throw, cr.strong ~ throw, cr.short ~ throw, etc etc… Mix it up to avoid getting predictable, which makes it harder for chun to know when and where she needs to stand up to counter throw.