Guile's Focus Attack

guile

There doesn’t seem to be any solid tutorial for Guile’s focus attack.  A lot of people simply say they don’t use it, but I see it a lot in some high level play.  I’m just wondering if it’s character specific like sobat, or if it has general uses as well.  Hoping some of the Vets here could share their insights for us “lower” Guiles.

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>It has it’s uses, mainly at level 2 crumple which allow you to set up UDK combos (check out the Guile Match-Up thread 1st page and also UpYourGame’s UDK combo vids on youtube for more info)</span></font><br><br><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>Personally though, I don’t use FA (I don’t like the mechanic itself either.). I find it too risky as a Guile player because you effectively have to let your opponent in, so he’s at a range where he has all of his moves available, which means more things to worry about. And even if he gets in by force, the last thing I want to do is put myself in grey health - much rather retreat and reset the spacing game.</div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Where I think Guile is most effective is at the range where he has all his tools and his opponent’s have comparatively less - which tends to be roughly 3 training room squares apart. Anything closer and there’s just too much crap to deal with - vortexes, ambig x-ups, unblockables, Srk’s etc</span></font></div>

^Wow lol you don’t use FA as Guile?<br>Ever heard about FA after Ken’s cr. MK, Bison’s stomp or Vega’s claw dive in? How do you approach vs a good Gouken without any FAs? Jump in?<br><br>@ OP don’t use it after Ryu’s cr. MK though, ( but the above stated is sth that is very useful even on high lvl play vs 5k PP players ) or you will get punished by Ryu’s forward HP ( any good Ryu player does that ).<br>I will upload a tutorial on FAs and some other stuff and will edit my post.<br>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/17551/LiangHuBBB">LiangHuBBB</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>^Wow lol you don’t use FA as Guile?<br>Ever heard about FA after Ken’s cr. MK, Bison’s stomp or Vega’s claw dive in? How do you approach vs a good Gouken without any FAs? Jump in?<br><br>@ OP don’t use it after Ryu’s cr. MK though, ( but the above stated is sth that is very useful even on high lvl play vs 5k PP players ) or you will get punished by Ryu’s forward HP ( any good Ryu player does that ).<br>I will upload a tutorial on FAs and some other stuff and will edit my post.<br></div><div class=“QuoteText”>I do use FA, just not to set up any crumple combos (sorry I should have said that initially) or as much as others do. I use it more to as you said, to actually get in on characters - especially on plasma chucking Shotos (I finally worked out the correct spacing for it!) and also on the occasional Cr. Roundhouse (although I think that is more by sheer luck lol!)<br><br>But yeah I’ll definitely look into using it more on those things you stated.<br><br><br></div>
</blockquote>

<br>

S.hk range, walk forward and back.  What does fb characters do when Guile does that?  Throw fb.  Fadc forward the fb and throw or release for crumple if he’s near enough. 

I look forward to it! Let me know when it hits!

It will hit sometime next weekend.<br>I will post it here as well.<br>Here is sth I posted yesterday<br><br>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuGyOK8wh0M<br>

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2” style=“font-size: 10pt;”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>I wouldn’t think that Guile’s focus attack specifically needs a tutorial… it’s simply a mediocre focus attack that has it’s uses like for any other character but isn’t outstanding in any way.  Mostly used for anticipating/punishing single hit moves that have long recovery.  Boxer’s rush punch, Chun Li’s Hazanshu, Blanka’s Rainbow Ball and slide, Honda’s Sumo Splash, Guile’s sweep or st.rh, etc.  </span></font><div style=“font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div style=“font-size: 10pt;”><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>I’ve found that I have a habit of choosing which direction i’m going to dash before I can even see whether a level 2 focus hit or got blocked simply because I want to start charging asap and I don’t feel that I have time to confirm before inputting the dash.  I used to think that if I backdashed and the crumple did land that there was no other choice but to walk forward and sweep but I’ve since realized you can immediately ultra 2 or do a dash ultra 1 as well.</span></font></div><div><font size=“2”><br></font></div><div><font size=“2”>Obviously focus dashing can help get you out of trouble occasionally as well as let you pass through grounded hits to surprise the opponent.  Focus dash super/ultra is very difficult to confirm safety though.<br></font><div style=“font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div>