Hacking the analog sticks on a 360 controller?

I’m looking for someone with experience to explain to me how to wire up an analog stick on a 360 controller for use with a JLF or similar joystick. I’ve been using a padhacked 360 controller for a while in Windows to play SF4, but my primary operating system is Linux, and the d-pad has never worked so well in Linux due to driver issues. But the analog sticks work fine, and I figure there might be other times where I would need to use the analog stick, since the Madcatz TE allows for switching between d-pad and analog.

I saw mention on Slagcoin’s site that there is a method for turning analog stick resistors into directional switches. It’s just that I haven’t seen any guides on how to get that working, and I don’t know much about the electronics besides what I’ve followed from pictures.

Can anybody help? Preferably with pictures. :sweat:

I’ve soldered the left direction to the analog solder points at the back of the PCB because I messed up the D-pads points (and its alternative at the back of the PCB as well).

I’m using 3 directions from D-pad inputs and left direction from the analog input and it works fine in SFIV on both the 360 and PC.

I did some tests in SFIV to see which points where which and as far as I can remember all 4 directions were available., so yes its definitely doable.

So you’re saying it’s just as simple as doing a guess-and-check on the solder points to figure out the directions.

Alright, I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

what are you playing on Linux? out of curiosity…

Yup, one wire on the solder point of the analog stick at the back of the PCB, the other at the other point.

Since I have an old version of the 360 controller (the non-common, non-CL “matrix” design) I soldered one wire to DL2:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/SFAC%20Mod/22.jpg

And the other to one of these circled in red:

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/1434a564-99d9-41be-9bec-ebde5bc48531.jpg

Although I can’t be arsed to take a pic right now I’ll have to do some fixing on my stick next week, I’ll do it then if you still need it.

More info about the matrix controller: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=581799 (RDC has also posted similar informations for all versions of 360 controllers).

Controlling the analog sticks with a digital stick is possible, but not many folks have really done it.
Yes I sell and make them, so maybe I’m biased; check for other ways to see if they’re easier or cheaper, but the way I would recommend doing it involves one of these:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7178419&postcount=2376

If you decide to go that route, let me know and I can write up a quickie set of instructions of what goes where.
And oh hell ya soldering would be needed. Not hard soldering, but for some folks any soldering is a killer.

Lastly, if your stick uses a common ground, like the JLF you mentioned, it’ll work fine with this board for controlling the analogs, but you won’t be able to control the dpad as well without a second 360^2 board.

At the moment, just some Tekken 3 and KOF 99 through a Playstation emulator. And once PCSX2 improves a bit more, I plan on playing all of my favorite PS2 fighting games as well.

As for the modding project at hand, I actually decided to give this a try on a cheap PS3 controller I had lying around, a Pelican Afterglow. My initial reason for purchasing it was that I could have all the PS3/PC compatibility goodness of a Cthulhu, whilst saving a couple bucks on the side. But after working on it and apparently breaking the up and right on the d-pad, I had to set it aside.

Luckily I found that what works for the 360 pad also works for this pad, as initial tests have been successful. When looking at the PCB with the analog sticks on top, the furthest left, right, up, and down points all correspond to the directions on the stick, and the middle points serve as a ground. I don’t know if this PCB has a common ground, but I haven’t been using common grounds anyway ever since I found my first padhacked PCB wasn’t common ground.

So basically what I’m doing now is dual-modding my arcade stick, where I’ll use the 360 PCB in Windows and the PS3 PCB in Linux. Thanks for the advice, guys.