Hacking the ST rom

Yeah, maybe, but since this hack is not meant to be serious, I mean, it won’t replace original ST in any way, I think it would be nice to have a Fei being able to cancel almost any normal while having chicken wing and super at his disposal. In ST my main is o.Fei, mainly for all the cancelables he has (ton of links that end in Rekkas), adding super, chicken and throw softening is my idea of a perfect Fei.

Sad thing not many know how hard it is.

In that case, give all of Gief’s double suplexes the reversal bug, his HF kick lariat, instant dizzy headbutts, and all of his other HDR changes. Plus, let’s have him be able to call in a bear to attack you, and his super breaks your neck and permanently eliminates that character from the select screen.

Gief perfection.

Cool thread! I love the idea of just frame data and hitbox changes versus crazy SWEEPING changes (adding invincibility to moves, etc). But, since it really isn’t going to be played in a “real” capacity anyways, experimenting could be fun too. I dunno I am torn lol. I like that idea of ST with no supers but, lots of matches would have to be tweaked (N.Sim vs most of the cast is going to be rolling in his favor as is).

It’d be far easier to just build an external program that does the dirty work for you but using a graphical layout.

Like showing the sprite and allowing you to edit the box per the frame and just write the changes to the rom. I’d hate to do this blindly like you are now haha.

Yeah doing this blindly is a huge undertaking even the developer’s editor to showed the corners of the hitboxes on the characters.

What you guys mean by “blindly”?. I go exactly where the values that must be changed are. Also, with all the hitboxes images that i put in the wiki, its very easy to figure out which value i must change it to. Just a matter of analyzing the image and do some basic hex math. Once you get used to it it will not take more than 5 mins per change. But still, if i had an program that did this automatically it would be better. I thought about writing a simple tool in C to do this job (without an GUI of course, i dont even know how to code that…), but seriously i’m not that motivated. For the developer editor, does ST have it? I know that HF has it, i checked it last night, very cool stuff.
Anyway, i feel so lazy to do all this hacking stuff… ill probably just write a quick guide and post it here or something…

Well this is just one editor essentially for frame data. But, there is another edits the hitboxes.

Edit: I’ll upload the hitbox editor tomorrow.

Edit 2: The text is there so most likely it’s still there.

Exactly like that.

But thats for HF, i dunno how to access it in ST…

The win quotes are just Ascii.

Man, if only there were a way to import all of the bonus stages from HF into ST…

Any chances on a tutorial for what has been figured out so far?

Just to make sure, there is no way for this stuff to get thrown into GGPO, Right?

Or if there is, do both players have to have the same version to the Rainbow ROM, right?

*********************************************** ST RAINBOW ROM *************************************************

Be careful what you create… LOL :wink:

Critters was such an awesome movie.

The graphics are still there (even in HSF2). Plus the graphics for tournament version of ssf2 where you link 8 cabs together.
Edit: FHD’s Hitbox editor has to wait for another day.

Edit 2:

I would really dig a community modded ST. The entire, interested, ST community contributes changes and all have to be approved by majority (or something). I wonder what would we be able to create…

fatboy, apparently yes, it will be possible to play this on ggpo. I believe that if the players have different roms, the game wont start at all. But if it happens to start somehow, it will for sure desync when a modified move take effect over something, doesnt that makes sense? You don’t see Gief players using GMC rom to get that insta dizzy headbutt on GGPO… Anyway, ill test this soon, just to be 100% sure. Then, ill give explanations on how to hack frame data and hitboxes so you guys can mess with it.
jedpossum: how you did that? Thats impressive man.
Half-Ro: me too man, i think it would be fun, as long that people still plays the original ST.

The win quotes is just knowing the location 0x021D3C and doing the byte swap to read and edit it (remember to do it again after you’re done).
The Tournament Battle I haven’t completely fixed up yet, but the option to set it tournament on the ssf2 boards is still on the boards just not shown, but the memory address to the switch is.
There is also a test for telling distance between players.

I have no doubt in my mind that everyone who loves Vanilla ST will still continue to play it to their dying day. This, however, would be a really fun pet project for the community to find out what it would be like to remix the game in a similar manner as Sirlin. I think a community project is a little better because of the varied input allows people to see things from all sides, all biases. For ST being one of the most “known” games around, I find it cool to believe that we ACTUALLY DO have enough knowledge about the game combined to make tweaks to it and not ruin the overall feel of the game. Lets go ST:R!

I just got a crazier idea Hyper Street Fighter 2 The Koryu Tournament.