Handling more than one fighting game at a time?

I’m trying to get better at several fighting games right now i.e. SSFIV AE, MVC3, MK9, and I just seem to fall behind quite a bit. I feel like if I get better in one game, I get worse in another, and it’s too much time taken from my day to try to get practice in all 3. I’m trying to get good enough to place well in tournaments and whatnot, and I love playing all three. What should I do? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

I remember a tweet from Alex Valle once: “Protip: If you’re playing only one fighting game, you are limiting your potential.”

The thing is, I know how you feel. Especially if you’re busy with a job or school, you can definitely notice your execution slipping if you don’t constantly practice, and you may develop bad habits from certain games. I can’t tell you how long it took me to try to stop pushblocking in SSFIV when I came back to it after a while of only MvC3, and then the button-blocking of MK9 threw me off for way too long.

That said, take Alex’s ‘protip’ to heart. I also feel that some of the experiences I get in one fighting game often translate to another. You can learn clever ways to move around and mixup, you may learn a new way to execute certain motions that you never considered before, etc. And the “bad habits” I say you can develop, disappear over time, and then you can competently jump from one game to the next with ease.

I play multiple games. In fact, pretty much as many as possible. Along with the three you mentioned, I also play around with Melty Blood, Vampire Savior, and Guilty Gear. Sure, if I only played one game, I could be better at it, but I don’t think I would be MUCH better. If you enjoy all three games, play them all. You could, however, try focusing on only one game for a few weeks or so, and see if you like that better. If you find you miss playing the other games…then you found your answer right there through your own experiences.

i play mk9 and sf4 mostly. and i myself do feel abit weird when i swap from one game to another.

Not really. I may get rusty for a short duration due to forgetting certain things but that aside I do quite well. Frankly I took a break from SSF4 for perhaps what was well over half a year having went through MvC3, MK9, Tekken 6, Arcana Heart 3 and still played great on the day I tried it again, using focus attacks was rather a big thing that separated me from many others, but that’s just one option that really stood out. When trying a new fighting game all it requires is memorizing a lot of new stuff which I tend to loathe.

I don’t know how long it took me to quit trying to focus attack with every character in MvC 3 at first. I knew it wasn’t SSF4, but somewhere I still wanted to believe Iron Man would FADC into a hyper. Anyway, you play one long enough you’ll develop habits, but over time, your brain can acustom itself to the variety and will get on track, and you may even improve because of it. If nothing else, you get a break from SSF4 playing MvC 3 or Blazblue, and come back refreshed later.

here’s a venn diagram that probably won’t help you understand the situation

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/294/venndiagram.jpg

the games have more in common than they have differences

you should get to a point where you can just say “ok, i’m solid at any fighting game i touch, i just have to do X slightly differently for this game, tell myself not to do Y, and work on doing Z 100% of the time”

Your mindset doesn’t change, just the rules and input. It’s always been easy for me to pick something up if I wanted to get good at it instead of just messing around.

I would have put “divekicks” as a similarity between both Marvel and SFIV, but keep “holy shit more divekicks” in SFIV only, but other than that, it looks pretty spot on.