Hands freezing up

Hey, so basically I had this problem on a small scale when I was using a pad but after the switch to stick its started happening all the time. When I get nervous or someone is rushing me down/having a very offensive playstyle and I can’t get a hit in, my hands and arms tend to just freeze into me crouch blocking and I tend to start throwing jabs and sweeps randomly which are obviously just punished and I get completely owned. Usually happens on GGPO when I’m being completely owned by people but I don’t really know what to do about it.

I’m still not entirely comfortable playing on a stick, I’ve yet to really choose a way to hold the joystick as I can never consistently do anything in any way I hold it. I have a feeling that my finger placement is bad, I don’t entirely know the best way to lay my fingers out.

Anyone experienced this before/have a way of dealing with it?

Grab a beer to calm those nerves. But if you’re like me and don’t like drinking alone, the play some music that will get you in “the zone.” Like Eye of the Tiger or Your’re the Best. You gotta build that confidence up.

If you literally get cold hands, the warm them by opening and clenching fist or do the jazz hands. By warming up your hands you’ll get the blood flowing to your hands and you’ll be able execute moves more smoothly. If you’re feeling pressured, take a deep breath and maybe say “I can do this.”

Really important, practice combos for the punish and build that confidence. You’re the best! Around! Nothing’s gonna ever keep you down…

Sounds like you’re getting some nervous death grip OP, just try to relax your grip and remember you’re not fighting the joystick, you’re telling it what to do, and you don’t have to be brutal about it in doing so. If you’re hammering inputs in trying to get stuff to come out, you’ll wear yourself out quick. I tend to practice doing combos that require me to let the joystick go to a neutral position, even simple stuff as :d:LP, Standing LP, :d:LP, just to stop myself from constantly holding one direction or another. Not letting go of the stick, just holding it loosely.
As for finger placement, hit up Youtube and type in “arcade stick hands” and you’ll pull up tons of vids of different hand styles. You don’t have to follow any particular method, just note the less frantic, less white knuckle style hold players use.

I had the same issue when I first started playing. What helped me was actually learning to defend myself. I realized what was really getting to me was that I would press a button and get hit, or block and get thrown. Was such a lose/lose when I was on defense. So I focused on learning how to block and tech throws. Whenever I started to feel like that, that’s all I’d do. Just stop pressing any buttons and defend. Once you can do that, getting rushed down isn’t as scary. You’ll even start to see the points where you can attack. The spots where they’re putting themselves at risk to continue their rushdown.

Yeah this is it. When people start freakout mashing its because they cannot rely on something innate and basically have to pull the hail mary to try and regain composure. Reversal shoryu, ultra, whatever. So comprehension will go a long way to helping you not lose you head. Not losing your cool in these situations is actually the first step toward good defense [just as learning to recognize these situations and punishing is the first step toward good offense.

Incidently these things don’t go away persay at top level play, just less situations invoke it. If Seth is on top of you after a PB tanden you’re still staring into the abyss. That’s how even Daigo can get blown up.

Its weird, I know what I want to do in my head but its like I just lock up and don’t seem to do anything but spam a few jabs. I’m working on it though, trying to keep a loose grip on the joystick and be a bit more flowing.

Get laid…
you’ll be fine.

UNLESS YOUR HANDS FREEZE UP :clapdos:

I sort of stop thinking when that happens, but I don’t think that’s a great idea.

I have the exact same problem. My left hand goes “Oh no! We’re getting hit…wiggle the stick!” and my right hand goes “Oh no! We’re getting hit…mash the buttons!”

I’ve also found myself pounding on my buttons when getting jabbed repeatedly, which of course leads to more jabs landing. I tend to hit the buttons in the rhythm of the jabs being thrown at me…not sure why I do this but its killing me…quite literally.

Hey I have the same problem too. For me, it’s the pressure of playing online or against an actual person I don’t know.

Do you happen to play on the PS3? Cause I think playing someone in the same situation will help take the edge off.

I tend to get slow response from my fingers if I rest my wrist on the stick, but that’s obviously due to my tendons. It still sucks to have to hover my hand above the stick to do Hyakurenko.

Also, when it gets cold, my fingers move SOOOO SLOOOOWWW. :confused:

Anyway, the best thing you can do when you’re in trouble is to calm down. If you don’t panic, your responses will be better, and you’ll be able to think more clearly. It won’t guarantee a win, but it will improve your chances. As for being new to stick, I’m in the same boat right now, but it will become more natural over time. Time and practice is all it takes.