Happ and IL sticks, whats the closest to Sanwa

I finished my arcade cabinet and my custom stick recently, but I’m not very happy with the Happ stick and happ pushbuttons I used for the cabinet. I very much enjoy the Sanwa parts in my custom stick for ps3 because of their quick reaction speed, smoothness, and being quiet.

My question is

I can’t afford to make a whole new Control panel because the Gameongrafix CPO was very expensive. So what stick and buttons would be able to just replace a Happ competition and happ pushbuttons without having to enlarge the holes, or have to router out wood for a sanwa stick. Since I can’t take off the CPO since its stuck to the MDF.

My only ideas right now are Convex competition buttons, and a IL stick.

None of the above.
Happ/IL stick hole diameter = 1 1/8" = approx 28.5mm
Sanwa stick hole diameter = 24mm = approx 15/16"
not to mention the mounting bolts are in different places, but that can be rectified with a custom mounting plate.
That, and you’ll need a larger dustwasher for your Sanwa stick to cover up the bigger hole.

Happ/IL button hole diameter = 1 1/8" = approx 28.5mm
Sanwa button hole diameter = 30mm = approx 1 3/16"
You’ll definitely need to route out bigger holes.

Though I’m not sure what you’re trying to do: do you want to swap out the current parts in hopes of fitting Sanwa parts? If that’s the case, see above.
Or are you hoping to find Happ/IL parts that are closest to Sanwa? Not sure I can help you there…

I think the Competition Convex buttons and the IL Eurostick are your best bet given your options, though I’m sure you’re going to get people telling you that there is no comparison. If you really want, I’m sure some people on here (more skilled than I) can tell you how to mod your case to fit actual Sanwa parts.

What do you mean by “stuck” to the MDF? Is it glued?

I’m not trying to put SANWA parts in it. It would be impossible without completely dissembling the control panel. I’m trying to see what parts would be closer to Sanwa parts using the diameters of Happ parts. Its obvious nothing is in comparison to Sanwa, but there can be improvements.

Yea its glued. Whatever adhesive Gameongrafix uses.

Does the IL Eurostick have the same dimensions as the Happ competition for mounting holes?

I think in the end i might just make a entirely new Sanwa based Control panel. And try to sell the one I have.

Ah ok. My bad. I didn’t understand your intentions in your original post.

Anyhow, putting an IL stick will definitely improve things. Button-wise, as you mentioned, Convex Competition buttons are probably your best bet.

Although you might want to check out Korean buttons; I’m not familiar with them at all, but I’ve heard that their quality is very much Sanwa/Seimitsu-like, and their buttons are 28mm in diameter, which MIGHT make it worthwhile to check out. I believe a popular brand is “Crown” buttons? Someone else would be able to give you more info than me.

That’s a shame.

To my knowledge, as the IL Eurostick WAS the original Happ Competition when IL manufactured parts for Happ. Browse around the forums and you’ll realize that when Happ merged with Suzo, the perceived quality of all their parts went south.
[/quote]

Is your panel actually made by North Coast? Are they using Happ Competition or Happ Super’s like the X-Arcade? (Does the bottom of the stick have a square actuator or a round peg that hits leaf-ish style swtiches? Square are the Competition’s, peg are the Super’s, though someone please correct me if I’m wrong) If they’re using Happ Super’s, then you might be REALLY satisfied when switching to the IL Eurosticks, as the differences there are night and day.

Is your panel actually made by North Coast? Are they using Happ Competition or Happ Super’s like the X-Arcade? (Does the bottom of the stick have a square actuator or a round peg that hits leaf-ish style swtiches? Square are the Competition’s, peg are the Super’s, though someone please correct me if I’m wrong) If they’re using Happ Super’s, then you might be REALLY satisfied when switching to the IL Eurosticks, as the differences there are night and day.
[/quote]

The control panel was just a peice of MDF I cut 3/4 inch thickness. The actuator is square. All my parts where bought from Groovygamergear.com

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=184

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=287

Awesome, I’ll have to look into those.

Honestly though I might just suck it up, borrow a router from someone, and go to town on the control panel. Then shove all Sanwa parts in it. I have new convex buttons and a different stick for 1 player coming in the mail. If those aren’t good enough, that’s probably the route I’ll take.

This method might work if you don’t want to ditch your control panel.

omfg that’s brilliant. I might try that. I’d still have to rout the wood, but I’d have to do the same anyways if I wanted Sanwa buttons also. If I route the bottom of the Control panel, I won’t be messing up the CPO art because that’s on top. Then I can just make the holes bigger and xacto knife the art more.

Awesome, this is very possible now with a little work.

Whats the best place online for Canadians to buy IL joystick and competition convex buttons?

I just installed groovygamegear.com’s Competition convex buttons and they are fantastic. They even sell a custom ball top for IL and competition joysticks, which I also bought and am loving. Probably just going to ditch the whole idea of putting Sanwa parts in my cab since i am pretty much satisfied with these parts. Even though they don’t sell the IL eurostick, the happ competition stick they have is designed the same way. From what I’ve seen from slagcoin the competition should be different, but the one I got from groovygamegear is designed like the IL pictures I saw online.

They ship from NY, so I don’t know how close that is to where you are in Canada, but you should check them out its a great website.

So it was the balltop you were missing and not the “Sanwa feel” (i.e. throw distance, gate, etc.)?

Its good enough without having to really mess with my control panel. I’ll never obtain the “sanwa feel,” but I’ll have to come to terms that I didn’t build my cab for just fighting games, and the competition with a ball top is a good enough mix for all genres.

Go with the Sanwa. Also, what game did you end up putting in your cabinet?

its a mame cabinet. Don’t judge me lol.

You don’t want to try the mounting plate option suggested earlier?

I haven’t decided yet. I might do it on the 2 player side, and see which side I like better. The JLW trick is a good idea, but it requires routing the wood. Once I do that I can never go back. And like I said before I dont have just fighters in my cab. I don’t like the JLF for beat em ups, SHMUPS, or anything else.

From what I understood (correct me if I’m wrong) mounting the JLF to the JLW mounting plate and installing into the Happ/IL holes does not require woodworking… unless there’s something different about your cabinet I’m not aware of?