Has the term 'hardcore' become way too general?

I definitely think it’s become way too general of a term, and really it’s part of a trend. It seems people are trading all logic and thought for buzzwords. Let’s go through some examples:

-Fighting game players and the word ‘cheap’
-Starcraft players/fans and the term ‘cheese’
-Idiots and the word ‘epic’
-Anything defensive being classed as ‘camping/turtling’
-Fighting game players and the word ‘accessible’

etc etc

People literally reduce what is a detailed deduction into a one word black and white picture. Like, you could explain for ages the thought that goes into a certain defensive play/tactic (for example), only to have some fool denounce it all with no logic except that it revolves around ‘camping’–“Yeah whatever, it’s not a tactic; it just promotes camping”–I remember the retarded arguements against some ‘hardcore’ Gears players and why they wanted frag-tags out of the game.

BUT

Since this is a FG forum, let’s make this FG related as originally intended. This term ‘hardcore’ is used for most games, we can agree. But I also think that it’s affected FG’s the most.

It seems that times change, and for some reason so do meanings. If you look at how a casual plays a FG, does it look hardcore? Then how about when a great player?

I find it really irritating that people who put in more effort and take the game and their gameplay as far as possible, only to have not themselves, but the game in question, the game they love, being labeled as ‘hardcore’…thus, getting hit with all sorts of negative results.

Why punish effort? Because this is exactly what’s happening right now. Now FG’s are released with a messed up mentality; now, instead of people being given a ladder, they’re given a stool. Why? So those who don’t want to put in effort can somewhat stand on the same grounds as one who does, and does so much.

Why are games punished for giving you more? Why are people punished for going the longer distance? Because the noobs/casuals are the mass and you want that money?

Well then here’s the thing…

The end result, people end up putting effort anyway; just on the wrong games, and let the good ones rot. Yet if they had applied the same amount of effort into the games they deemed ‘hardcore’, they would have found it much more rewarding and this scene wouldn’t be where it is now.

People judge games on the highest level of play, and the game as hardcore rather than the players. You could leave two controllers plugged in with no one playing…do you know what that means?

While the term ‘hardcore’ is becoming more and more ambiguous and widely used, the actual number of games wrongly dubbed as thus are actually dwindling. Soon people will be calling BB, Marvel and SFIV hardco-oh wait :bluu:

Funny thing is, the games deemed as ‘easy and accessible’ can actually, in a formidable number of respects, be harder than the games deemed as ‘hardcore’. All that’s happened is that they’ve reduced the metagame, leveled the playing field as much as possible; created this psychological/placebo effect and advertised like they never have before.

What did Seth Killian say again? That you have to be an alien to play Guilty Gear, while promoting SFIV? While basic combo’s in GG are faaaaar easier than SFIV’s links-for-basics.

There’s just a whole lot of misunderstanding and misinformation going on these days. Like Mr. Truth is hiding under some ninja camouflage, nowhere to be seen.

Who cares? The only people I see using the term ‘hardcore’ in relation to games are just goofballs on forums with screen names I don’t recognize.

Wait…what exactly are you trying to say here?

Because the more effort you put into something and the more you get rewarded for extra effort, the closer you get to playing World of Warcraft.

Someone needs to sig this ASAP.

99% of gamers arent hard core. if youre one of the 1% who are, put this in your sig

Yup capcom PR=hypocrisy.

also:
[media=youtube]pFxV02x_X0s"[/media]

Like pherai said, only youngsters and noobs use the term ‘hardcore’ for ‘too difficult games’ (I’ve seen it used for GoW2 … in NORMAL). But I think what you mean is that it’s wrongly used in the fighting game community, since games like Touhou-IN are ‘hardcore’ by themselves, FGs have ‘hardcore’ gameplay, because only the player makes the game. My little brother playing GGXXAC+ against the CPU isn’t ‘hardcore’, but Ogawa in a grand final is.

Also I like to use the word as in “I’m a hardcore Katamari roller” for example. I use it to indicate that I spend lots of effort in a game in order to ‘master’ it. For example I used to be a ‘hardcore’ Gran Turismo 4 player. I got gold in every license for example, which is totally not needed, but I just had decided I was gonna do it like that.

Hardcore is a relative term.

People love labels though, and want to have flags and banners to fly above themselves. Likewise they love labels to slap on others to stigmatize them.

By attempting to quantify hardcore too much, many have ended up going in circles: trying to justify continually why this game is hardcore and that one is not, when the difference between them is actually fairly small in the big picture.

Since hardcore is relative to the average around itself, almost all fighting games are hardcore when compared to this decade’s games in general. The past ten years have seen video game design mentality critically shift gears.

Video games were originally predicated entirely on a test of skill and the ability to learn. This is the ‘arcade’ design lineage. However, this prevented some people from getting a lot out of a game if they lacked the prerequisite ability level for it. In short, not everyone could “beat the game”. (In quotes since not all games have a specific beginning and ending, such as multiplayer games.) One very basic way of beginning to define a “hardcore” game is whether or not the game makes a lot of concessions towards allowing people of any ability level and/or degree of dedication to “beat the game” or see a lot of the game’s content, or progress far. Most console games traditionally tried to offer adjustable difficulty levels to offset this issue. This trend also made it to arcade games, which began to offer multiple “courses” or modes to play the game in; some easy, some expert.

However, as games became much more mainstream, a wider variety of people began playing them, and game makers - or in most cases, publishers - wanted to attract as many as possible. Thus, the arcade nature of game design was submerged in favor of the ethic “everyone SHOULD be able to beat the game”, which quickly morphed into “everyone should feel GREAT about playing the game”. This dovetailed nicely with the trend in console game design to make longer and longer timesink games which could be beaten, eventually, regardless of skill developed. Such games were slowly made easier and easier, given more mechanics like checkpoints, many save points so almost no progression was ever lost, and so forth.

Fighting games, of any sort, remained largely rooted in classic arcade design values. They place more emphasis on learning to play the game, than on being able to “beat it”. If you’re going to throw the word hardcore around, most any fighting game has to fall into that category.

Past that, is when the petty bickering takes over and just clouds the issue. Players within a group want their favorite, specific type of fighting game to be seen as “elite” over all others, more hardcore, etc, etc.

Unfortunately the situation with game design in general has created many easy straw men for bickering players to invoke. If a fighting game is designed to cater to both entry level and experienced players, the bickerers can screech that it’s “inviting teh casuals in” to ruin their party. False analogies are made by comparing a game with a comeback mechanic that still requires skill to play to a random popular video game that is designed entirely around catering to people who want to turn their brain off and feel bad ass, and would revolt against skill gates.

What has actually been happing during the second coming of fighting games is a courting ritual; game makers are trying (and succeeding) to lure people who have never really been challenged by a game with arcade and skill-based values into a different world. They know there are various stereotypes in place about such games; some of the stereotypes false, but some true. The people who actually have the job of designing and selling games to make a living realize that fighting games were almost as dead as arcades in most countries. The basic framework to even present them to the average person had deteriorated or been assimilated into ever more niche, hardest-of-the-hardcore subcultures.

As someone said a few years ago, a type of game in which two powerful characters punch each other in the face until one falls over should by all rights be just as popular as games where the player performs other manly man activities, such as massaging assault rifles and shootin’ turrists, or driving fast cars - so what’s wrong?

A whole lot of players trying to defend their perceived territory by circling the “hardcore” wagons are seemingly oblivious to the reality that this particular genre of game basically died out or became sterile in its evolution, and had to be restarted. Restarting generally means starting simple and building up again. It happens.

lmao at that vid