Hauppauge HD PVR

Hey I’m looking at getting this but I am wondering if anyone has this? If so could you either PM me and talk to me regarding any issues you have had with it, if you like it etc. or post it in this thread. I was checking the reviews on Newegg and alot of the responses were negative. I’m currently using a dazzle which works okay for my xbox games but on my ps3 the quality is horrible. Would love to record both systems in hd and this seemed like the best fit for what I have. I also do not want to spend $200 for something that is going to be very buggy.

thanks in advance.

A lot of streamers/game recorders use the Hauppauge, it limits you to 720p/component though (not that there are actually many 1920x1080 native games.)

720p through component is fine. im just hoping the bugs and freezing issues are not a common thing. It will be used for now just for recording gaming.

It should work fine for the purpose.

I do have the Hauppauge HD-PVR and have 3 questions:

• Does the component out produce any lag or is it recommended to use a splitter?
  • Is there a way to convert the component signal for the use with VGA/DVI-D/HDMI (for normal monitor) without lag?
  • Is there an alternative capturing software to TME?

Thanks.

Well I was able to use my Hauppage over the weekend and I absolutely love it. I am putting my review for others to see. I think a nice sticky would be to have a thread of just video editing software/devices so people can read different opinions from others as well as get an idea of cost, how to use it, etc. If there is one already made then I am sorry as I didnt see it.

For what it is worth here is my review on the Hauppage HD PVR 1212.

Pros: Records in HD up to 1080i; (just a fyi my tv outputs in 720p and that is what I was recording)
Has component video output (any device that does not have component video output or hdmi is not going to be able to record in HD. Dont be fooled. It also has S-video but we are talking about HD so irrelevant right now.
Unit is very small and compact.
Records to mp4 format which allows you to upload immediately to youtube. No need to rip it or anything.
Software was easy to use. Hit capture to start recording and stop to end.
Due to popularity of people wanting to record video games and other video you can find at Walmart, BestBuy, NewEgg to name a few. I would suggest buying it from the aformentioned as opposed to ebay since you can have an easier time returning in case something were to go wrong. Also for what you can get it on ebay you might as well buy it from the other places mentioned.
Works with windows live media player. I’m sure it will work with other video editing software but that is what I am using.

Cons: Price; $200 is a little steep considering there are other video capturing methods as low as $35. Keep in mind though the other methods possibly do not record in HD. I had a dazzle dvc 100 and while it worked it was not in HD and the software was very buggy at times creating lag while recording. I know gaming is a hobby and an expensive hobby but still wanted to throw that at out there.
No internal hard drive. This means you have to have a laptop or desktop tower nearby when you want to record. For games that do not have internal replay saves like SSF4, you are forced to have it nearby or you miss out on recording.
Unit must be on when you want to play your game system since your game system runs through it.
Not able to record over your wireless network. Again for those who do not have a latop or tower nearby, this would have been a nice feature to have. Some other devices claim to do this.
No HDMI inputs. Component video is your only option of getting HD recordings.

Well those are my thoughts. Would I recommend it. Yes. If you want to record your games be it Street Fighter or any other games you cant go wrong. There are many reviews on this device that were negative. Keep in mind those reviews were for what the device is also capable of doing. Recording tv shows somewhat like a tivo or dvr and burning blue ray discs. It comes with a remote to operate a tv but again I have not used it for that and probably wont any time soon. Again for recording your games or recording family videos you should be fine with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Using component video I did not notice any lag while playing my games. When I used my dazzle I did notice lag. Just not to confuse anyone when you run your video to your tv you will be fine. The video coming from the device to a computer will have a delay. That is not lag.

I am very sure there is a way to split your component video signal. I will check the internet as I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this. I have a component video switch box so both my 360 and ps3 are ready to go.

And what is TME? I use windows live movie maker for editing my files and it works great. I’m sure there are others but that is what I use.

TME is Arcsoft Total Media Extreme which is the program used to record the video. The original purpose of the dazzle was to back up video from cameras and vhs tape and other non realtime sources. BUt when recording game using a splitter is the way to go and they have them for component and composite/s-video.

As for price there are a few options that cost less but can only work on a desktop to be near and the wireless options tend to have much lower video quality

It’s very much worth it. I got one for my birthday and it adds no lag at all. Component/Composite is a bummer but it’s definitely a great performing piece of equipment.

Worth the price.

Could one of you fine gentlemen take a picture of the insides of your Hauppauge HD PVR, particularly the voltage regulator near the AC adaptor port? I’m trying to repair one.

So there is no lag from input to the tv right? I want to record call of duty, MvC3 and ssf4 J/w. Thanks much. I have wanted one for a while and with taxes coming back I can finally splurge to get it. I currently run my systems on HDMI so I will have to downgrade to Components :(.