Having trouble playing with arcade stick....? Need advice

I’ve been playing fighting games forever and played all of them on console with pad. I got SF4 and have been using the madcatz 6-button pad.

I was finally able to buy the MadCatz TE Arcade Stick. I’ve been using it for 2 days and I might be pre-mature, but I don’t know, I’m just not feeling it with a stick. The reason why I bought it is because everybody says or most that a stick is better. By the little time I have with the stick I can tell you that if your main is a charge character that a stick is a must. Pulling off Vegas ultra is a breeze, but with pad I get it 80% of the time.

My main question is do you guys think that I should make the effort in being not so good with a stick now and just practice? Is it worth the extra effort since I’ve been playing with pad since I started playing all these fighting games?

Many other threads for this…NOTHING comes easy, why do you think “oh i’ve played only on one controller my whole life, now i’m changing and it’s not as natural for me?!!” of course it’s not. If you wanted to be a F1 driver would you think “i’ve never driven a manual transmission before, but I’ve stalled out a few times now and want to quit.” NO, you know the only option for competitive driving is a manual, so you have to practice.

I don’t know about all that, I gurantee you that I’ll be competitive against a stick vs. my pad.

same here

its 2009, hell even when t5 came out they set a new standard with the controller ports. Arcades are dead for the most part. Console allows you to play with pad or stick (especially a flexable console like the PS2/PS3). There is barely a reason to learn how to play on a stick. It’s not like SF4 has over complex notation where you would need to use a stick. That’s the long and short of it.

Speaking as a guy who was a pad player for years and only switched to stick in earnest about a year ago…I think stick is objectively better, even in today’s console-based fighting game scene. Almost every executive maneuver imaginable in the great majority of games is easier on a stick (with practice…it is not easier the first time you sit down with it, but if you take breaks when you’re frustrated and come back to it regularly and fully charged, you will be surprised how fast your competency increases).

Things that are easier on a stick:

• Piano inputs/drumming (easier to get multiple fingers moving in concert than accurately flicking your thumb across even a Dual Shock’s “soft” face buttons)
  • Mashing/multiple simultaneous button input (you basically HAVE to map a trigger to ABC/ABCD for pad KOF; for rapid Chang ball cancel on a stick you can easily just drum your palm on all four buttons with your weight concentrated on the A button and watch Chang moo rapidly and safely; in order to accomplish the same feat on pad with maximum speed you’d have to map a precious face button to ABCD)
  • Rapid alternation of opposite directions (important for charge buffering/charge supers; you have to apply less force to gently jiggle the stick between two opposing switches; accomplishing the same thing on most pads with accuracy is utter hell on your left thumb)
  • Rolling consecutive DP motions (CvS2 Sho-Sho-Sho/Paint the Fence)
  • Links, links, LINKS! (Having the power and speed of multiple fingers to hit buttons with specific timing is a HUGE advantage of playing on a stick. Your poor thumb is a hell of a finger, but it just can’t move that fast even across buttons that are millimeters apart. If you’re gonna play a link-intensive game like SF4/CvS2, you’re going to want a stick BADLY, even for characters with braindead links like CvS2 Cammy.)
  • Rapid button alternation for cancel mechanics (e.g. Roman Cancel, FADC, Garou Breaking) and “slide input” moves (K`'s 2k2 HSDM with qcb+C~A, or character-specific stuff like GGXX Johnny Mist Cancel/Yamazaki snake arm cancel in KOF)

The only maneuver I can think of that might be considered objectively easier on a pad versus a stick is IAD/rapid-fire dashing, but I think the other execution benefits of a stick VASTLY outweigh those on a pad.

With that said…I have been revisiting KOF '98 on stick lately after years playing it on pad, and I struggle so far with the difference of execution relative to Capcom games. I have progressed to the point where I can do jump-in combos into most specials fairly consistently (I make it a point to play low-execution characters like Ralf/Clark/Mai/Terry), but I struggle in particular with INPUTTING – let alone buffering – “SNK super” motions such as qcb, hcf + button or qcf, hcb + button. I can machine-gun Ebony Tears on a pad with no issues, but on a stick, I struggle to accomplish the same feat. I’m still not sure what exactly I’m doing wrong there.

old snk games like kof 98, kof 2k2, last blade have very strict inputs

and trying to do consistent fireballs,supers, and combo into super with a sanwa stick is a pain in the ass for me

just try out the ps2 version of those games and you’ll see it is much easier with the reworked inputs

at least that’s my case, that’s why I’m going to build a new stick with happ parts so I can play ggpo to my fullest

Reworked inputs for the PS2 ports? Guess I never noticed on my pad. Maybe I won’t have such a hard time after all (assuming the same input reworkings carry over to the 360 port of 98UM, which is the main version I plan to play).

I WAS playing PS2 UM, but I don’t have a stick/adapter for it…and more importantly, I seem to have misplaced the disc I burned it to. Looks like I’m re-downloading the image… :-/

I saw a rapper named Ken Masters open up for Blabk Ssheep. My friend was heckling him pretty good and shit was getting to funny, heads were laughing at the jokes, and Ken Masters was like "yeah, all right… its all good… i know…"
I had to tell my boy to stop. He got kicked out anyways right before Black Sheep went on. He worships Black Sheep and we drove 3 hrs to get there.
hahaa
Ken Masters