Hdmi (Switch) to Sony Wega CRT TVs (analog 480i/240p)

I’ve been looking up a few HDMI to ycbcr adapters some of the most expensive ones can convert 1080p HDMI to various component resolutions.

The one I’m most interested in is 480i or 240p None of the other devices mentioned it the lowest they go is 480p.

I’m trying to hook up my Nintendo switch to my Sony Wega CRT TV.

I’m trying to find one that’s specifically mentions conversion to either 480i or 240p.

I see composite adapters that’ll do it but not component ones. I currently have an S-Video one.

Anyone know of any HDMI to 480i/240p component adapters?

As for delay time, as long as it’s good enough for fight games that’s good enough for me. Since there are no such thing on the Switch as pixel-based light gun games that require sub-microsecond timing, that degree of accuracy is unnecessary.

Does your model Wega CRT uses HDMI at all?
If so, use that. You want to generally stick to a native output format when possible.

My soda Vega is probably the last of the Sony CRT TVs.

most of the converters only explicitly go from one digital format to the other.

Should I assume that converting from digital signals to analog displays is just simply decoding a digital device, which should have very little time difference?

Well I do have an HDMI to S video converter. I could try that and see if that is considered low delay.

The only reason why I’m afraid of those HDMI to component converters is because it doesn’t explicitly mention 240p or 480i.

If it’s true that most of the delay is in the display technology and if you don’t need precise Pixel perfect light gun accuracy. Then my prediction is it should support it

since I wrote this last I thought “Wait I have an HDMI to S video converter. I should see how low ping that is.”

If you happen to know one that says explicitly HDMI to 240p/480i I’ll listen. But if not hey, S video is plenty good.

The only question is how does it deal with converting 16x9 to 4x3. Of the three extreme choices I prefer letterboxing.

1. Never assume anything.

2. As usual, please stop using “ping” as a term for video lag/latency. It is not the right term to use and is inaccurate in this case. For a guy who prides himself for wanting to provide all (if sometimes a little too much) information up front so that anyone reading has all the details from the get-go, I’m surprised you’re still using an incorrect term despite how many times you’ve been told that you shouldn’t.

That being said, you’ve spent A LOT of text saying that you’re looking for an HDMI-to-composite/S-Video/component converter. As far as I know, there isn’t any made with gaming in mind, so any that you find is a luck of the draw in terms of latency due to processing. Most gaming-designed converters are of the sort to convert composite/S-Video/component-to-HDMI, simply due to the majority of people wanting to play retro consoles on modern displays.

I’m not sure why you’d want to do what you’re looking for anyways, personally, from a gaming perspective. Playing a modern console that’s 480p/720p/1080p on a 240p/480i display will really diminish the experience. Even if you’re planning to play something retro, you’re still stuck with the problem of 16:9 vs 4:3.

1 Like

Just wanted to see if there was an easy answer or if it was a wild goose chase.

I guess I could find out myself by directly comparing the Switch outputs on a standard HDTV versus an S-Video or VGA and see if, back-to-back, the CRT is faster than the processing it takes a go from HDMI to either S-Video or VGA.

In terms of the last post I use the term lag, delay, and ping, (sometimes) synonyms of each other.

I understand I’m not technically right with ping but ping conveys the fact between a) the time you see what you have to do, b) you do it, and c) you see the results.

So in that sense there’s a back and forth. Sight to action to sight.

If that’s what I’ll do I’ll post a video showing whether any HD to SD conversion is faster than the HDMI’s natural display lag. It it is, then that would be helpful to know if display lag > conversion lag.

Also, you don’t need sub-Microsecond lag for and HDMI game, since no modern HDMI only game uses CRT dot crawl targeting.

I think there a way to do it, but it isn’t going ro be cheap. Were talking a broadcast industry external scaller, and there still no guarantee that you could avoid lag.

With rare exceptions, it’s best to stick to native formats for a console.

I’m just hoping, (and at first glance it looks true) that the conversion time from HDMI to SVideo being sent to a CRT TV is at least 1/10 of the typical draw time if an average non-CRT TV in native HDMI.

if the conversion time is under a millisecond, then it beats random non-CRTs draw time with Native HDMI hands down.

Probably the reason why this works is because the analog TV wants to receive a signal as a wave which by the very nature of the word is analogous to a real TV wave. When turning a chunky step into a smooth curve, you’re not adding any new data you’re just plotting midpoints between data points.

With more data points there’s less midpoint plotting and therefore the wave might be more accurate along the analog axis

But it’s analog (continuous) along rows, digital (discrete)valong columns, but blending makes them seem more analog.