Help a young Sagat get the ins and outs before SSFIV comes out

sagat

Hey guys,

I picked up Sagat after realizing learning the fundamentals with Gouken were pretty unforgiving (no good normal links, jab comes out slow, not many REAL combos, etc.) I’m a few weeks in, and I’m starting to get down a good zoning game with my fireballs and HK. Also, I’ve got the basic offense down (safe pokes, BnB for punishing, TU FADC -> F+HK -> Ultra,) but I still get a lot of losses via heavy punishment from more experienced players and me not using the right option for the situation. I feel like a lot of players go into this “OH SHIT” mode when they see sagat on the other side of that versus screen, and they go all out on me. If I want to take Sagat serious, I need to improve my game, fast. I know he’s gonna have a lot more competition to stay on top in Super, and I’d appreciate some feedback on my ranty questions for someone who’s sticking with Sagat nerfs put aside.

#1) footsies and taking the offensive in general; am i doing it wrong?

Sagat’s slow movement makes moving in and out of the opponents sweep range difficult, I gotta be JUST at the right spot at the right time to counter sweep/poke or I can get knocked down or eat a standing fierce (Ryu/Chun/Balrog are good examples.) Sometimes I’ll do a ‘psychic’ low tiger shot or tiger knee just outside of their poking range and that’ll reset the spacing and I can advance safely or pull back. I’m bummed he’s losing his standing short knee links, which will makes safe tiger knees harder. Is there a good alternative to that kind of advancement with the tiger knee?

#2) Giving the opponent a little jumping elbow

Ok so this is what I usually throw out to get into my BnB cr.lk cr.lk cr.lp xx Fierce TU.
I’ve found the safe times to use it are against poorly spaced fireballs, and charge characters right after they’ve expelled their charge on a blocked or whiffed move (they’ll subconsciously bring their character back to crouch block again to charge another attack, and that’s when I go in for the elbow, works fairly often.) Am I missing opportunities to use it elsewhere or am I totally doing it wrong?

#3) Mix-ups?

Seriously, what is Sagat’s mixup game? Is it better because of his large frame to just wait the opponent out and counterattack their fuckups? In the corner I keep a bait and punish approach, but I don’t see a lot of true rushdown sagats, that’s why I’m asking.

That’s all the questions I can think of right now. Feel free to add anything you think is important.

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=197350

I’m sure you’ll find all your questions can be answered in the OP of the Q&A thread.