Help! I can't understand plink

I watched few videos on youtube about plink and I’m very fasinated by it. I play blanka and it is so hard to do his c.lk, c.lk, s.lp >roll combo on a consistent bases. I think plink is the answer to my problem. I still don’t get it though, so if you press lp and mp together, the mp will come out? so how does that help you with combos?

Full schedule's recap on FR17, his joystick and what it does, top player treatment, wizard debacle

Plinking is like buffering from what I get. it just aids you in one frame links. You shouldn’t be pressing LP and MP together, you gotta piano roll, or plink.
[media=youtube]acuTIlxcjz0[/media]

if you have a stick, the best way to plink c.lk is with your thumb and index finger, adjusting your hand position is not worth it. Plinking works because buttons have input priority - going hk, hp, mk, mp, lk, lp. So if you press hk and lp together hk will come out. HOwever, if you press the buttons 1 frame apart, you get the input of the high priority button, and an input of the high priority button + the lower priority button. So if I were to plink mp, the inputs would actually show mp, mp+lp. This is just how the game works. What this lets you do is effectively press the same button 1 frame apart, which you can’t do normally. This is a not very good explanation, there are literally thousands of similar threads, but I had to answer because when I first got a stick I learned how to plink because of that very same blanka combo :slight_smile:

Plinking has to deal with button priority, and it’s game specific. In SF4, the higher strength button has priority, and buttons of the same strength has the kick with high priority. So for example, let’s say I’m trying to plink MP. For combos that have extremely tight links, plinking the MP will help provide consistency in landing that combo, since if I do it properly, the game will read my inputs as having inputted MP twice in a row, which is impossible to do. So I press MP, and while holding down MP, you press LP a split second afterwards. Since MP has button priority, it should look like this in training mode.

:lp::mp:
:mp:

The longer MP comes out first, followed up by the game seeing the input LP + MP. Since MP has priority, MP will come out instead. Heck, a great visual example, is to simply press LP+MP together in training mode. MP will come out EVERY time if you press them together correctly. Button priority.

So, how does this apply for your Blanka combo? Well, linking the cr.lks together and the st.lp together can be difficult. You plink the cr.LK by pressing LK along with LP, like this:

:lp::lk:
:lk:

Easiest way to do it, imo, is to press the cr.lk with your thumb, and while holding it down, press the LP with your index pointer.

For the st.jab link, I don’t think you HAVE to plink it, it’s not as difficult. Unfortunately, even if you wanted to plink it, you can’t do it by traditional methods, since LP has the lowest button priority in the game. That is unless you incorporate the back/select button, which for some reason, has even lower priority than anything else.

So if you feel like re-wiring your stick, or you have that weird-ass fancy Hori Fighting Edge stick, you can assign back/select to one of your buttons, and plink the LP with back/select, which allows you plink jabs.

thanks guys very hepful info. Yeah, I still can’t do it consistently unfortunately. At first I thought I can just learn the plink technique and be able to do it. Not it seems being able to plink also requires lot of practise. I was watching so blanka video and the people in those videos was able to do it. I was thinking, wow, only if I can do that. I’m doing quite well with blanka at the moment but if I can combo I could be a top blanka player.

We’ve all been there, but as it is with everything, once you’ve got it into your fingers, you’ll never forget it.

The common theme that you’ll find when learning anything new about fighting games is practice. Practice, practice, practice. There are no easy shortcuts in anything in a fighting game. Learning the theory of something is easy, but actually being able to use that in a live match is incredibly difficult. Don’t be discouraged. Realize that it will take time to develop this skill, improve at your own pace, and eventually you’ll start to see results.