Help identify solder points on PCB

Hello all,

I am planning on building me a fight stick from scratch and I was planning on using the PCB from my Logitech WingMan RumblePad (USB) for use on my PS3. I have already tested it on my PS3 and it does work.

The PCB is double sided and from what I can see I can’t tell which point is for ground and which point is for the signal. I hope someone can tell me from the pictures below.

I have attached a link to the pics instead of posting the image since it they are large files (the pics are in their full 3264 x 2448).
Click here to see the button side of the PCB.
Click here to see the underside of the PCB.

Thanks and +rep to everyone that can help.

Not to be rude, but there is a whole thread with many posts dealing with PCB’s. May want to try here.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=113675

The other thing, is even though it is under good intentions, you can’t +rep anyone without being a premium member, and have 500+ posts.

Good luck finding your answers!

Well, I tried the Search feature here, and nothing under Logitech Wingman RumblePad came up. I will look through the thread you provided for any inspiration.

At this moment, good intentions is all I have.

Ok, I have soldered my wires to the Logitech WingMan RumblePad PCB to the joystick (Sanwa JLF), however, when testing it, Left and Up are continually activated. I have attached a screen shot of how I soldered my wires to the D-pad, click here to view image. From what I can tell, it does not look like my solder points are completing the circuit between the ground and signal for UP and LEFT.

I have already looked through the thread linked above and I did not find anything regarding this PCB amongst the 100+ pages.

BTW, this gamepad does have analog sticks, which I removed. Is it possible that removing the analog sticks is causing the UP and LEFT signal to be constantly active?

Thanks for any help.

I’m also a complete noob to this stuff, but I just had the same problem with my own stick mod. Have you tried switching them around? Ground on left, signal on right? It worked for me, although I still can’t tell you why. I only figured it out myself when I was testing the pad with bare wires, trying to make it respond properly.

Yes, if you didn’t properly tie the analog signal. You gots some reading to do; start with slagcoin.com and then through the padhacking thread.

It would seem you are correct. After reading through slagcoin.com, I found the following, “The problem in removing variable resistors is it leaves zero voltage. Because of this the PCB will usually consider them engaged. Triggers will be usually be viewed as held in, and analog sticks will be viewed as a diagonal.” The symptom described here explains exactly what I am experiencing.

But, I am not understanding alot of what I read in there. It says I need to use resistors to cancel out the voltages for up, down, left and right, but pretty much after that I am lost.

I have no available schematic for this PCB and I can’t find when I search on google. I am a complete noob in this and have no multimeter or anything like that to figure out where the resistors go. If it was a simple matter of me reattaching the analog sticks I would do, but I no longer have them (discarded and cannot be found). I greatly need help.

Here is a picture of where the analog sticks connected to the main PCB.