Help Modding SE Stick!

So I am trying to replace the buttons on my SE stick, but the stupid wires will not come out! I pulled so hard that the black backing on the madcatz buttons broke off of the button without the wire coming off! I do not want to go through this for 8 buttons. Is there anyway to get them off easier??

Thanks

Well the fucking wire harness just snapped in half because it would not come off. Is there anyway to fix the wire harness? Anyone got a link to where I can buy a new one?

Do I need a new crimp-connector?? Someone please help!?!?

Hey man, I just modded my SE last night. The same exact thing happened to me, luckily I replaced the harness at the same time. Which harness are you talking about? The one going from the joystick to the PCB? Or the ones connecting the various PCB’s together. Pics might help.

As for disconnecting the other buttons, I suggest using a flathead screwdriver to pry and seperate the wire from the connector on the button, these buttons are complete pieces of crap and they will disintegrate if you pull on all of them too hard.

Best of luck!

Many of the SE’s stock buttons are crap. Your better off replacing them with 30mm Sanwa or Seimitsu, Snap in or screw in does not matter on Mad Catz SE and TE sticks.

As for the Disconnects, take you time gently rock the plug back and forth till its released. you might need a flat head screw driver to loosen the disconnects first. I personally took needle nose pliers to grab on the disconnects to pull them free before, Be careful if you try the pliers approach. Worst case scenario, if you ruin the wiring harness, since you replacing the board, is to get new wire and quick disconnects. Disconnects are 10 cents each and wire is about 25 cents per foot more or less. Just make sure you order extra quantities of wire and Disconnects encase you mess up.

The part that broke was the metal end of the wire going into the push button. Can I use electrical tape to just put it back on? the wire is fine. Also, how do you use a screwdriver to get the wires off? That seems really hard.

If it is the metal tab off the button that snaped off, the I consider the button done for and so is the disconnect, since it be a pain getting that little bit of metal out. your better off replacing that disconnect all together.

the button is fine. It is the dissconect I think. Im gonna try electrical tape cause I dont even know what to order and how to replace it. Im working off a you tube video that is making this look a lot easier than it really is! Im pissed right now.

I know, when I swapped my buttons out I said to myself “HOW THE HELL DID THEY MAKE IT LOOK SO EASY!!!” just be patient, and use a SMALL flathead to get underneath the quick disconnect and the button, and just rock the screwdriver up and down to loosen it. Quick disconnects are easy to crimp on with a set of pliers or with a $10 crimper from a hardware store. Don’t worry about buying the tools, I guarantee you’ll catch the modding bug and you be throwing in a PS360 or something and need the tools again. Don’t cheap out and use electrical tape, etc. It’ll just make you more frustrated when the button dies in the middle of the game.

I know, when I swapped my buttons out I said to myself “HOW THE HELL DID THEY MAKE IT LOOK SO EASY!!!” just be patient, and use a SMALL flathead to get underneath the quick disconnect and the button, and just rock the screwdriver up and down to loosen it. Quick disconnects are easy to crimp on with a set of pliers or with a $10 crimper from a hardware store. Don’t worry about buying the tools, I guarantee you’ll catch the modding bug and you be throwing in a PS360 or something and need the tools again. Don’t cheap out and use electrical tape, etc. It’ll just make you more frustrated when the button dies in the middle of the game.

It sounds like you should be a little more careful and not force something.

If you pulled out the wire from the QD that means you were probably pulling from the wire and not the QD itself…

Take a pic of whats wrong. I can prolly replace anything you broke for a couple of $ shipped.

The part that broke is the metal clamp that connects the wires to the button. It snapped in half so there is still part on the wire, but the part that fits onto the button is no longer connected.

I wasent pulling from the wire.

Im really tempted to just break all of these stupid disconnects and order new ones. They will not come off!!!

So I just discovered that the flat head screw driver trick works really well! Sucks I broke one of the dissconnects!

I’ve never had to use the flat head myself, but yeah it works. I’d swap out one of the disconnects from either the LB (3 punches) or LT (3 kicks) buttons to the button you broke the QD on.

Follow the wire down to the barrier strip (the black bar like thing) pull it out and look for the button you broke the QD on (it’s labeled on the barrier strip) and plug it in there then plug that into the button.

A case in point when modding, be patient and most of all,

Don’t Panic!

I remember when I did my first mod and it didn’t work and I panicked like crazy. Panicking makes you screw things up even harder. It also didn’t help since it was 4 am…

^ I’ve stripped many a screw and messed up/destroyed some hardware that way, it’s a good, albeit sometimes expensive learning experience though.

Im thinking of soldering the QD back