Help with computer selection

I need to buy a new laptop for college next year, but I don’t know a thing about computers. Like, which brands are the most reliable? Which ones do I avoid? What will be the “biggest bang for my buck”?
Also, I need something that will run mame well and something that I can easily hook up to my television via vga-to-rca converter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and I’ll put you in my prayers when I go to bed.

Look into a Intel Core2Duo processor, they’re extremely fast…

QFT

As far as brands, I don’t know about anybody else, but I’ve used good laptops and crappy laptops from HP, Toshiba, Dell, Lenovo, and Acer. So for all of those it’s a crapshoot. You might get one that lasts years, you might get one DOA.

I’ve been commuting with a Dell Inspiron for like 2 years now. It’s gotten the crap kicked out of it a lot and it hasn’t had a single problem.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Sony. I’ve worked on Sony laptops where replacement parts were either ludicrously expensive or impossible to find and Sony’s driver support for the hardware on their laptops is pretty bad.

All the laptops I’ve tried recently have S-Video out. That’s the easiest way to get the video on a TV. Otherwise you need something to convert VGA to whatever TV hookups your comp has. Unless of course your TV has a VGA port, which would definately make things easier.

just get a mac. seriously.

[media=youtube]G-JdC04vBik[/media]

How much would you be expected to pay for a lap top that can perform well with all aspects of video editing?

Depends…what do you want it for? 3D Gaming and high-end stuff, or an entry level comp for things like internet, DVD burning, and movies?

As for things like Mame you don’t need to worry about that, as ANY mildly recent computer these days can run that stuff on minimum integrated graphics like its nothing. My Laptop for example is an entry level Dell with integrated graphics only, and it plays EVERYTHING on Mame at full speed, no sweat.

What do you mean by video editing, like DVDs and stuff?

darn bro first the computer deal that I hope you worked out and now this? either go intel 2 duo core E6700 or buy a power book. either with at least 2 gb ram otherwise forget lower end wonder works of shit.

I’m sure this website, (http://www.smartratings.com/computers/notebooks), can help you tremendously in choosing the product that you’re looking for. There are expert and user reviews that goes along with each item listed here. Good luck.

if you’re in the mood to try out laptops, go to costco! they have an excellent warranty: return it within 90 days for whatever reason for a full cash refund.