Help with Fitting Art to a Template

Hey, I’m looking to get into creating a custom template but was wondering if anyone could help me on fitting my image. I’m not looking to do anything fancy, and so my plan was to take an image off of wall base, as they have a ton of high res images, and simply put it under a template. The image I chose has a resolution of 1600x1200, so I thought I would be fine fitting it to a standard TE template. My fears of the image fitting were quelled when I opened the image in Photoshop and it measured over 22 inches lengthwise, and over 16" height-wise, while the template was around 12 inches by 8.5. When I attempted to import the hi res image into photoshop though by using duplicate layer —> background layer, the image was about 1/3 the size of the template.

What am I doing wrong, exactly? Is this the proper way to import an image onto a template at its highest quality?

Thanks in advance, too! Along with slagcoin, the forums here have been immensely helpful to someone new to the arcade stick scene.

While the resolution is 1600x1200, the DPI might be very small, so when you go to print it then it will be close to nothing. When printing onto actual physical media you will need a BIG IMAGE. You’re going to be wanting an image with a DPI of at least 300, but past that I can’t help much.

There are many guides out there if you’re looking for more detailed info, try checking out the “Tech Talk” subforum, where you can find threads like these:

[SIZE=4]Making Your Stick Pretty: A Custom Stick Art Guide/Tutorial[/SIZE]

http://forums.shoryuken.com/t/making-your-stick-pretty-a-custom-stick-art-guide-tutorial/89531/

Here is a list of all the important threads in that forum.

Thanks so much man, very very helpful. I think I have it figured out.