Help with MvC3 & Fight Stick

I picked up MvC3 a little after it came out and played with the PS3 gamepad.

A couple months ago I picked up SSF4(+AE) and my friend let me borrow his fight stick (which, after getting used to it, is awesome).

Because I started MvC3 with a controller, my execution is really bad with a stick so I had a few questions:

I use R2 to air dash but from what I’ve heard from videos and stuff you never used to be able to dash with just one button (in MvC2 I think?). When I see people doing ROM loops and stuff like that are they actually double pressing in a direction or do they use the button? I’m so used to using a button to dash that when I use a stick I have to use the button for dashing or else I dash too slow.

Is there a preferred layout for the buttons? I know it’s all person preference but I wanted to see what other people use. The default button layout is a little weird.

I actually do enjoy playing MvC3 with a gamepad but if I play for a long time my thumb gets calloused, plus the stick is fun to use.

Most people use two buttons for dashes in MvC2. That R2 button you’re using for dash just pushes more than one button at a time.

For joystick layouts, check out the sticky:

layout for marvel is

L M H
S A1A2

You must actually use execution to be dashing.

Most Magneto players in MvC3 dash with 2 buttons for the ROM, Hypergrab loop, and Flight combos. What you do is plink LM~H for your addf H.