Higg's theory: Universe has finite lifespan

<a href=“http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/universe-lifespan-finite-unstable-higgs-boson_n_2713053.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular”>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/universe-lifespan-finite-unstable-higgs-boson_n_2713053.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular</a><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Due to how the new forum works, I am not going to quote the article.</div><div><br></div><div>What are your thoughts on this theory</div>

my first thought is I cant wait til your signature gets edited!<br><br>second thought is this is more appropriate in the catch all science thread we have in GD.<br><br>I think anyone with some interest in cosmology isn’t really surprised by our universe having a finite lifespan since this kind of thing is already predicated by heat death and similar theories, although the explanation is awfully strange. I want to know more about what he means by alternate universe.<br>

That guys is just wrong. Reality will never cease to exist. <br>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/83765/I%20am%20Ah">I am Ah</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>That guys is just wrong. Reality will never cease to exist. <br></div>
</blockquote>

<br>That’s a very bold statement seeing as to how we can’t prove we exist, and even what we experience is only relative to us.  <br><br>

It’s not that one day  the universe will stop existing. It just won’t load properly anymore. Like the SRK forums.<br>

<blockquote class=“Quote” style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/83765/I%20am%20Ah">I am Ah</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>That guys is just wrong. Reality will never cease to exist. <br></div>
</blockquote>

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Who is to say reality “exists” in the first place? </span></font><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Anyway, it kind of makes sense on a physics level. As an ever-expanding universe keeps on expanding there would need to be a point in where it would stop <br></span></font><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div></div>

WTF!!! This isnt in my bible!

Pfft. We’ll have raised our atmospheric temperature well beyond habitable levels within an infinitesimal fraction of the time we have before our planet becomes a cinder, well before our planet becomes swallowed by the sun, and well well well well well well well well well welllllllll before this expanding alternate universe business.

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/13708/pedoviejo">pedoviejo</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><blockquote class=“Quote”>
</blockquote>

<br>That’s a very bold statement seeing as to how we can’t prove we exist, and even what we experience is only relative to us.  <br><br>That’s right. Reality is just an illusion created by the mind of all sentient beings in the Universe. As long as there is someone observing/creating Reality, it will always exist. This Universal Holographic Fractal of ours have been in existence for at least 21 trillions years. <br><br></div>
</blockquote>

<br>

<blockquote class=“Quote” style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/2992/goodm0urning">goodm0urning</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Pfft. We’ll have raised our atmospheric temperature well beyond habitable levels within an infinitesimal fraction of the time we have before our planet becomes a cinder, well before our planet becomes swallowed by the sun, and well well well well well well well well well welllllllll before this expanding alternate universe business. </div>
</blockquote>

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>If you think about it, as we get more technologically adept the minds of our children and the forthcoming generations will have to adapt to it. In this generation, we already have quantum entanglement as a developed theory that is being worked on, so who is to say humanity will be doomed by something like this? </span></font><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>If anything, Humanity will be doomed by it’s own hand.   </span></font></div>

The fossil fuel industry already has concrete plans to extract more than five times the amount of oil, coal, and gas necessary to cause an unstoppable decline in the habitability of this planet. Unless they suddenly decide to write off the fortune represented by those materials in the ground–tens of trillions of future dollars that are already being borrowed on–that’s our future.<br><br>The science to combat this will never move unless the industry moves first, and the industry isn’t moving. I hesitate that we’re doomed by our own hand, because that implies that it’s more than a select few of us doing the dooming.<br><br>Now, if they could be convinced to switch to nuclear energy…<br>

http://www.knowledgeoftoday.org/2012/03/thought-definition-life-energy-power.html#.USRfhmegTK0 Your thoughts and emotions create reality. Whatever you are repeatedly thinking and feeling is the reality you will create for yourself. <br>

Why aren’t u guys playing MGR?

There are no Metal Gears after Metal Gear Solid.<br>

<div class=“QuoteText”>http://www.knowledgeoftoday.org/2012/03/thought-definition-life-energy-power.html#.USRfhmegTK0 Your thoughts and emotions create reality. Whatever you are repeatedly thinking and feeling is the reality you will create for yourself. <br></div>
</blockquote>

I disagree. I dont wake up to Olivia O Lovely and Flower Tucci shoving their asses in my face, and i think about that A LOT. Not to mention the other shit i think about: kittens, money, hoes, sex. yeah none of that is my reality, i think youre of it.

why you guys even responding to I am Ah? he posts like a bot trying to promote vague brandless philosophy

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/2992/goodm0urning">goodm0urning</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>The fossil fuel industry already has concrete plans to extract more than five times the amount of oil, coal, and gas necessary to cause an unstoppable decline in the habitability of this planet. Unless they suddenly decide to write off the fortune represented by those materials in the ground–tens of trillions of future dollars that are already being borrowed on–that’s our future.<br><br>The science to combat this will never move unless the industry moves first, and the industry isn’t moving. I hesitate that we’re doomed by our own hand, because that implies that it’s more than a select few of us doing the dooming.<br><br>Now, if they could be convinced to switch to nuclear energy…<br></div>
</blockquote>

The problem is that there is a finite amount of useful nuclear fuel. Uranium 235 makes up a very tiny fraction of uranium ore, and thorium, although theoretically better, is also finite and eventually would not be enough to fit projected demands. Heck, scientists are still lobbying to get its viability recognize.<br><br>We’re already using more oil than we’re digging up since the mid-1970s, and the gap will only grow from there.<br><br>Simply put, we’re fucked.<br><br><br>

omg wat if ur in the matrix

<div class=“QuoteText”>The fossil fuel industry already has concrete plans to extract more than five times the amount of oil, coal, and gas necessary to cause an unstoppable decline in the habitability of this planet. Unless they suddenly decide to write off the fortune represented by those materials in the ground–tens of trillions of future dollars that are already being borrowed on–that’s our future.<br><br>The science to combat this will never move unless the industry moves first, and the industry isn’t moving. I hesitate that we’re doomed by our own hand, because that implies that it’s more than a select few of us doing the dooming.<br><br>Now, if they could be convinced to switch to nuclear energy…<br></div>
</blockquote>

The problem is that there is a finite amount of useful nuclear fuel. Uranium 235 makes up a very tiny fraction of uranium ore, and thorium, although theoretically better, is also finite and eventually would not be enough to fit projected demands. Heck, scientists are still lobbying to get its viability recognize.<br><br>We’re already using more oil than we’re digging up since the mid-1970s, and the gap will only grow from there.<br><br>Simply put, we’re fucked.<br><br><br>

We need to be using geothermal power anaerobic digestion to power our way to the future but nobody has the balls to stop big oil.   They just leak a few million barrels into the ocean and take a fine like a parking ticket lol.    We need Steven Seagal to save us from ourselves.<br>