History of Street Fighter scene

Hi.
I’d like to ask infos concerning the history of Sf Scene.

According to alt.games.sf2 and the archives of this forum, I’ll try to reconstruct what I have understood.

Sf2 and Ce era: best players were Thomas Osaki, Tomo Ohira, Jeff Schaefer…

Hf: same players plus?

Super Street Fighter 2: ?

Super Turbo: Same as above plus others (who probably have started before). John Choi, Mike Watson, Wolfe bros… (alt.games.sf2 archives).

But specifically, when did the tournaments acquire a national dimension, going beyond east/west division?
And when did Capcom Usa officially start to sponsor the tournaments?

Street Fighter The Movie: just joking, don’t worry :slight_smile:

Street Fighter Alpha 1: ?

Sf Alpha 2: Alex Valle champion? (when and how did he win the title?).

Street Fighter 3: New Generation of games and new generation of hardcore players too? Same people mentioned above plus?

Sf Alpha 3: basing on Youtube japanese videos, Daigo became national champion (he lost A2 nationals against?) in 1998, he went to US and defeat Valle and other players.

The challenge between Japan and Usa began with A3 or before?

Sf3 Second Impact: ?

Sf3 Third Strike: Wikipedia shows a list of Tougeki winners, starting from 2003 (and what happened before? Difficult to answer without the knowledge of japanese language).

Shoryuken Wiki about Evo championship: lacking of several final results. And why Evo hasn’t a Wikipedia voice?

Capcom vs Snk 1 and 2: what about the Snk scene? Did Snk hardcore gamers managed to beat/obtain good results against Capcom players?

in A2 he lost to Ohnuki, and he had his revenge in A3 perfecting Nuki in the nationals final.

i got a SF booklet from around when super street fighter II first hit the arcades.
it features a full ranking list of us players that year in SF II Turbo.
tomo ohira is at the top of the list. and theres a full 2 pages about how his unbeatable guile rewrote the tier list.

Valle became the king of SFA2 when he won B3 in 1996.

And did anybody actually play SSF2?

If I remember right… there were many great OG player back in the day… i just listed the top few that clearly stood out but by no means are they the only ones that dominated the scene. Both nor cal and so cal had some amazing players…

OG SF series: Thomas Osaki, Jason Nelson, Wolfes Brothers, in Nor Cal. Mike Watson, Tomo Ohira, Jeff Sheafer in So Cal.
-Tomo quit right after SSF2

SFA1 - Mike Watson
SFA2 - Alex Valle (workin at SHGL definately helps hehe - unbeatable)/John Choi/Jason Nelson/ Jeff Schafer/ Thao Dong (after yrs later was the first person to beat Alex in a tourney)
SFA3 - Jason Cole, Jason Nelson, Alex Valle then John Choi after Sak CC was found

SF3 NG: if i remember right Valle and Choi
SF3 2i : Valle and Eddie Lee
SF3 3s: Hsien Eddie Lee in the beginning, now Pyrolee, Justin

CvS1: Choi/Ricky/Jason Nelson - Nor Cal dominated this game
CvS2: Choi/Ricky/Jason Nelson/Bucktooth Nor Cal, Combofiend/Valle So Cal, JWong EC

Didn’t Tomo play a bit of ST. I thought he did.

[quote=“RenoROB, post:5, topic:26175”]

If I remember right… there were many great OG player back in the day… i just listed the top few that clearly stood out but by no means are they the only ones that dominated the scene. Both nor cal and so cal had some amazing players…

Interesting reply.

SFA2 - Alex Valle (workin at SHGL definately helps hehe - unbeatable)

When did he discover “his” cc technique?

/John Choi/Jason Nelson/ Jeff Schafer/ Thao Dong (after yrs later was the first person to beat Alex in a tourney)
SFA3 - Jason Cole, Jason Nelson, Alex Valle then John Choi after Sak CC was found

Consisting in?

I can’t even imagine the number of hours of hard training Daigo needed to perfect Onhuki in a national final.

By the way, the Sodom player was amazing.

I posted some scans on the early 2000s scene not too long ago: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=3986797#post3986797

The Sodom player who got 3rd in that tournament was Chikyuu.

Maybe I’m the only one? :wink:

Eh… Street Fighter the Movie is a doujin game. =P

Good Shit. Its funny how there is little 3S coverage compared to MvC2 & CvS2. Just shows you how much 3S has grown. I even got my old butt back into fighting games (stopped playing them from 96’ to 2003).

ILl help you out.

thanks

good shit :wow:

well by then Daigo and Nuki were particing partners so they knew each others game very well perfecting someone u know isnt that hard…

Chikyuu was the Sodom player

and Daigo was not part of the A2 tourney… at least not the big one set up by Gamest. Bas was… HE WAS HELLA YOUNG LOOKING hahah

Schaefer got it right for the most part…

If you talked to Nor Cal players though (ie Nelson and Wolfe bros) they’ll beg to differ in who were the best during those time… esp after CE… many of arguments have me nelson and apoc had w/ each other about those time

I quit playing SF for a bit right after A1 (god hated that game w/ a passion) so I’m not aware of Schaefer ever beating Valle in any tourney… I remember when Thao beating Valle five or so years later and everyone on a.g.sf2 making a big deal that Thao gave Valle his first lost… so I dont know bout that story

So Cal definately had the best competition and World’s Finest was definately the place to play… My cousin use to live by Pico Rivera and he would take me to this comic book place and play Street… so from time to time we would go there and play Street… and I would get killed by literally everyone there… he would tell me stories about the tournaments and such… it just made you want to get better and better.

First, thank you for infos, your reply was very interesting.

I thought he was a top Ww/Ce/Hf player, one of the oldest gamers.

And now, because of your statement, Bay area players are going to flame! :slight_smile:

Roger?

Why Watson’s absence in Hf?

So Valle didn’t start with classic Sf serie?

Then the tournament should be put in Shoryuken Wiki.

Question, maybe I am ot but no one could answer in other threads. I am looking for good import stores in LA that sell the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 joystick: can you give me some addresses?

Having fun is an essential part of any kind of videogame. In my opinion, in 2d beat’em up having fun means to play any type of characters, even (especially?) if they are considered “low tiers” (I don’t really believe in those lists). And when people have fun using unusual characters, showing skills with them, accepting mirror matches against players who frequently use those characters, the defeats don’t matter.

Great years that arcade players in the whole world won’t forget.

Arcades are over and what they have represented is over too.
Probably I am rhetorical but I think internet, consoles or cybercafes lan games would never be a true substitute of arcades.
And new generations of players will never understand what they have lost.

True. But Ohnuki can’t be considered as “someone”.

Did Gamest organize the tournament?

It would be interesting to know their opinions.

Trying to improve, without never forgetting the pleasure to play: this is Street Fighter isn’it?

http://www.shoryuken.com/features/

Click on Javi’s article titled “Editorial: A modern SF Community Primer.”

Arcades were so awesome in that time period, when SF2 came out and each arcade had at least 3 machines and there was lines at all of them. Quarters lined the screen. Internet gaming cannot compare to bumping elbows at a cabinet.