"Hold Still!" - The Instant Overhead thread (Fuzzy Guard)

juri

Contributions
Hotaru - Throw > Dash setups on Zangief and T.hawk
BeaM - J.fap rundown.
Cavato - Youtube user on a few resets.

[media=youtube]TNuUGosN5Fg[/media]

Here are a few examples of some of the setup’s. Not all are shown, however the rest I’ve found can be seen below.

Notes
(1)I do not like the term “Fuzzy Guard” and will use the term “Instant Overhead” or I.O.H. as much as possible. I feel that “Fuzzy Guard” is a very ambiguous term that requires explaination. Instant Overhead makes more sense.
(2)This thread is to discuss IOH’s and the uses. I would prefer to keep discussions against them as a whole out of here. If you would like to discuss a setup or the pro’s and con’s of a setup that is greatly encouraged.

Introduction
Fuzzy Guards is a term used to described an instant overhead setup in which the opponent is stuck in standing block stun and appears to be blocking a jump attack however the user is holding a low guard. This gives the appearance of the opponent getting hit by the jumping attack while holding a high guard. This happens because of block or hit stun. This is the most basic understanding of Instant Overheads.

Unfortunately the Street Fighter 4 engine does not readly make instant overheads available. With Juri, all of the cast cannot be hit by an off the ground jump attack (i.e. holding up and hitting strong on the way up) if they are crouching. This is important to understand because for the most part a player in the guard position learns early to block low when they’re blocking as it covers mid and low attacks and to switch their guard when an overhead is used or if the opponent leaves the ground. This is the psychology behind the instant overhead usage as it goes against everything a player learns about blocking and forces them to take a guess making them victims to low attacks in trying to avoid the instant overhead.

This is great for Juri as she has two normals with low enough hitboxes that can connect with your opponents hurt box. These normals are her Jmp or her Jhp. Her Jstrong is essential for her instant overhead offense as it can be cancelled to her dive kicks leading up to more mix up, extra damage through pinwheels/fireballs, or major damge from her Kaisen Dankairaku (Ultra 2). Juri is one of a kind. She is the only character that can do huge damage from her ultra from an instant overhead. Adon, Makoto, Dhalsim, Seth, Chun-li, Vega, Thawk, and Rose all can use instant overheads but none can do 450+ damage from it. Her Jhp is special because it gives a hard knockdown. This is a techable knockdown but the speed of the move makes it very difficult to tech.

Because your opponent cannot be hit by an instant overhead when blocking there are essentially 3 ways to hit them:

(1)Throw baiting: Execution wise this is the easiest to hit. Unfortunately the hardest as it forces them to release their low guard and make it psychologically difficult to hit. When you are sure your opponent is going to try and throw you a Instant Jmp or an Instant Jhp will connect. This is difficult because most opponents will try and crouch tech on defense when they are being pressured making this technique very difficult. You can however make a good read and try and Jump back mp xx Dive kick. It is a little tough to time, however is possible.

(2)Block/Hit stun: The easiest to setup, using block/Hit stun is very powerful. As stated above, when on offense a player learns to block low to cover any kind of offense be it mid or low pressure. If someone leaves the ground for a jump in, they change their guard. The psychology behind this (Reversals excluded) is that if a player jumps at you, you block the jump in high, then change you’re block to low. Most attackers go low incase the opponent tries to jump, walk back, or just doesn’t change their block.

The idea is, jump in as deep as you can with a hard attack to put your opponent in the most block stun possible. Once they are in block stun from the high guard, you have enough time to do an instant Jmp or Jhp while your opponent recovers from the first attack. What happens is, since your opponent is blocking low while in block stun, you hit them with an instant jump attack. The game reads this as (a)Jump attack (b)Jump attack. The proper way to block this is 2 high guards. But after (a), your opponent has habitually changed their guard to low expecting ground pressure. When (b) comes out the opponent is nailed by attack (b).

This is where the fuzzy name comes from. The whole time, your opponent is standing even though they might be holding down.

I hope this makes sense. I explained this as clearly as I can.

(3)Standing Frames: This game does something interesting with standing and resets. When someone is knocked down and the player holds a low guard, the animation for rising must completely finish. The end of the animation shows the opponent standing. Since there is a few frames in which your character MUST stand, instant overheads can be used. The same follows for resets. After a reset the opponent flips back and must land standing, then the opponent goes to the crouch position. During this time you can Jmp before the character goes into the crouch position.

The beauty and downfall of instant overheads falls on the player. If you make a good read you can avoid many reversals or deal great damage. I feel that these setups are not known by many players and can be used in big situations to surprise the opponent and delight the crowd. These setups can close a match, something Juri lacks. I tried to stay as objective as I can, however I personally do feel that these things and Feng Shui Engine is the only thing Juri has that forces an opponent fear her mixup. Everything else is pretty straight forward and can be beaten by proper defense.

All of these setup’s are situational and character specific. I will go over as many as known. Please feel free to suggest updates and revisions to the above. Please feel free to suggest any kind of setup for the below characters. I will test them and update them when given. Please have an open mind on this as it can open up your opponent really easily and force them to adjust by doing something unsafe.

Enough of the introductions and my personal opinions. Let’s dive into the matchup’s.

Abel
J.hk > J.mp (Block and Hit)
NJ.hk > J.mp (Block and Hit)
NJ.hp > J.mp (Block and Hit)
J.hk > J.hp
Ex Kasatushi > Cross over hk > J.mp
Ex Kasatushi > j.hk > J.mp
Ex Kasatushi > J.hp > J.mp
Fireball > Fadc > J.mp
(Crumple reset) c.hp > fadc > j.mp
(Corner only Crumple reset) C.hp reset > J.mp
(FSE corner only)sc.hp > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(FSE corner only)dive kick > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(FSE only/mid-screen)dive kick > sc.mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(FSE only/mid-screen)c.mp, s.mk (1hit), s.hp > far hk reset > j.mp
(Air to air) J.mp > Sc.hk reset > fadc > J.mp

Adon
J.hk > J.hp

Balrog
(Crumple Reset)c.mp > fadc > j.mp
Sweep > lk sempusha > J.mp
(Air to Air) J.mp > Sc.hk reset > fadc > J.mp

C.Viper
J.hk > J.mp (block only)
NJ.hk > J.mp (block only)
NJ.hp > J.mp (block only)
J.hk > J.hp
Ex Kasatushi > J.hk > J.mp
(Crumple Reset)sc.hk > fadc > j.mp
(Corner FSE) sc.hp > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(Corner FSE) Dive kick > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(Corner FSE) combo xx sc.hp > sc.mp reset > j.mp xx dive kick > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(Mid-screen FSE)sc.hk, sc.hp > far mk reset > fadc > j.mp

Cody
J.hk > J.hp

Dan
J.hk > J.hp

Deejay
J.hk > J.mp (block only)
NJ.hp > J.mp (block and hit)
(Crumple reset) C.mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(Crumple reset) sc.hk > fadc > j.mp
(Crumple reset) sc.hk > fadc > j.hp
Backthrow > dash x2 > j.mp
(FSE Mid-screen) c.lk, c.mp, c.mk, sc.hk (1-hit), sc.hp > far mk reset > fadc > J.mp
(FSE Mid-screen) dive kick > sc.mp reset > fadc > J.mp

Dudley
J.hk > J.mp (block and Hit)
NJ.hk > J.mp (block and Hit)
NJ.hp > J.mp (block and Hit)
J.hk > J.hp (block only)
Fireball > Fadc > J.strong (Must be standing)
(crumple reset)c.mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(crumple reset)c.mk reset > fadc > j.mp
(crumple reset)sc.hk reset > fadc > j.mp
(Crumple reset)c.lk, s.lk > j.hp
(Corner crumple reset)nj.hk > J.hp
(Corner crumple reset)Overhead > J.hp
Back throw > dash x 2 > j.mp (Jump back does not work, all dives whiff. Backthrow INTO corner works with lk, crosses up)
(Mid Screed FSE) Dive kick > sc.mp reset > fadc > J.mp

E.Honda
J.hk > J.hp
(Crumple reset)nj.hk reset > j.h
(Corner FSE) Combo xx ex pinwheel > sc.mp reset > j.hp

Fei Long
(crumple reset)sc.hk > fadc > j.mp
(crumple reset)sc.mp > fadc > j.mp
(Corner FSE)combo ending with sc.hp > sc.mp reset > fadc > J.mp
(Air to Air) J.mp > dash under > Sc.hk reset > fadc BACK under > J.mp (patient. The “kailkmix” :3)
(Chicken wing punish) c.mp reset > fadc under > J.mp
Gen
J.hk > J.mp (block only)
J.hk > J.hp
(Crumple reset) sc.mp > fadc > j.strong (ex dive kick no wall bounce)
(Crumple reset) sc.hk > fadc > j.strong (ex dive kick no wall bounce)
(Corner crumple reset)c.lk, s.lk > j.strong (after dive kick inputs are reversed)
(Mid screen FSE) combo ending in sc.hp > far mk reset > fadc > j.strong
(corner fse)sc.hp > sc.mp reset > J.strong
(Corner FSE)dive kick > sc.mp reset > j.strong
(Corner FSE)combo ending in ex.pinwheel > sc.mp reset > fadc > j.strong (dive kick crosses over)

Gouken
J.hk > J.mp (block and hit)
NJ.hk > J.mp (block and hit)
NJ.hp > J.mp (block and hit)
J.hk > J.hp
Fireball > Fadc > J.mp
Fireball > Fadc > J.mp
(Crumple reset)c.lp > fadc > j.mp
(Crumple reset)c.lp > fadc > j.mp
(Corner Crumple Reset)nj.hk > J.hp
(Corner Crumple Reset)c.mk > J.hp
(air to air) J.mp> Land > s.lp > fadc > J.mp

Guile
(Air to Air) J.mp > c.mp reset > fadc > J.mp (Must walk forward slightly)
Guy
J.hk > J.hp

Hakan
J.hk > J.hp
Fireball > Fadc > J.hp (Must be standing)

Juri
NJ.hk > J.mp (Block and Hit)

M.bison
(Air to Air) J.mp > Sc.hk reset > fadc > J.mp (must go under)
(Air to Air) J.mp > c.mp reset > fadc > J.mp

Rose
J.hk > J.mp (block only)
(crumple reset) c.mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(crumple reset) c.mk reset > fadc > j.mp
(crumple reset) c.lk reset > j.hp
(corner fse) dive kick > sc.mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(corner fse) sc.hp > sc.mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(corner fse) combo ending in ex.pinwheel > sc.mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(Air to Air) J.mp > c.mp reset > fadc > J.mp (Must travel under)
(Air to Air) J.mp > c.mk reset > fadc > J.mp (must travel under)
(Air to Air Corner only) J.mp > Sc.hk reset > fadc > J.mp (lk dive kick only and crosses up after dive)

Rufus
(Crumple Reset) sc.hk > fadc > j.mp
(crumple reset)
(Crumple Reset) c.mp > fadc > j.mp
(crumple reset) j.hk reset > j.hp
(crumple reset)c.lk, s.lk > J.hp
(Corner FSE) sc.hp > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(Corner FSE) Dive kick > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(Corner FSE) combo xx sc.hp > sc.mp reset > j.mp xx dive kick > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(Mid-screen FSE)sc.hk, sc.hp > far mk reset > fadc > j.mp

**Sagat ****: **apparently everything works on sagat. You can get the visual timing down and make anything work vs him. Any reset essentially makes FG possible
J.hk > J.mp (Hit and Block)
NJ.hk > J.mp (Hit and Block)
NJ.hp > J.mp (Hit and Block)
J.hk > J.hp
Fireball > Fadc > J.mp
(Corner only) c.hp xx low fireball > j.mp (This combos regularly, but if you delay it slightly its a fuzzy reset, ex dive kick for full ultra combo)
(crumple reset) sc.hk reset > fadc > j.mp
(Crumple reset)c.lk, s.lk > j.mp
(Crumple reset)nj.hk > j.mp
(Crumple reset)Sekku > J.hp
(FSE Mid-screen)Combo xx sc.hp, far hk > j.mp
(FSE Mid-screen)Combo xx sc.hp, far mk > fadc > j.mp
(FSE corner)combo xx sc.hp > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(FSE corner)combo xx sc.hp > sc.mp reset > j.hp
(FSE corner)combo xx sc.hp > sc.hk reset > fadc > j.mp
(FSE corner)dive kick > sc.mp reset > j.mp
(FSE corner)dive kick > sc.mp reset > j.hp
(FSE corner)Combo ending with Store > far mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(FSE anywhere)dive kick > sc.mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(Anti air) s.lp > dash under > j.mp
(Air to Air Reset)J.hk > J.hp
(Air to air Reset)J.mk > j.hp
(Air to Air Reset)J.hk > J.mp
(Air to air Reset)J.mk > j.mp
(Air to air) J.mp > c.mk reset > fadc > J.mp
(Air to air) J.mp > c.mp reset > fadc > J.mp
(Air to air) J.mp > dash under > c.hp reset> fadc back under> J.mp
(Air to air) J.mp > dash under > sc.hk reset> fadc back under> J.mp
Seth
J.hk > J.mp (Hit and Block)
NJ.hk > J.mp (Block only)
NJ.hp > J.mp (Hit and Block)
J.hk > J.hp
Fireball > Fadc > J.mp
(Corner Crumple reset)Sekku > J.hp
(Corner Crumple reset)nj.hk > J.hp
(FSE Mid-screen)Combo xx sc.hp, far hk > j.mp
(FSE Mid-screen)Combo xx sc.hp, far mk > fadc > j.mp
(FSE corner)combo xx sc.hp > sc.mp reset > fadc > j.mp
(FSE corner)dive kick > walk forward > mp reset > J.hp
(FSE corner)dive kick > mp reset > fadc > J.hp
(FSE Anywhere)Dive kick > schk reset > fadc > j.mp (lk dive kick crosses up, ex whiffs last hits)
Backthrow > dash x 2 > j.mp (lk dive kick crosses up, ex whiffs last hits)
Back throw > lk sempusha > j.hp
Back throw > lk sempusha > foward for a hair > j.mp
Back throw > Far hk > j.mp
(Air to air) J.mp > c.mk reset > fadc > J.mp

T.Hawk
J.hk > J.mp (Block only)
J.hk > J.hp
sweep > lk sempusha > J.mp
Backthrow -> dash x2 -> j.MP (jump back works)
Throw -> dash x4 -> j.MP (jump back works)
ANY RESET that lands close > J.mp. Literally, his hitbox is huge.
*Ex dive kick drops off. Use lk dive kick

Vega
NJ.hp > J.mp (Block only)
J.hk > J.hp
Fireball > Fadc > J.mp
(Corner only) c.hp xx low fireball > j.mp (This combos regularly, but if you delay it slightly its a fuzzy reset, ex dive kick for full ultra combo)
(Fse only) Sc.hp > far mk > fadc > J.mp

Zangief
J.hk > J.mp (Block only)
NJ.hp > J.mp (Block and hit)
J.hk > J.hp
(Corner Crumple reset)Sekku > J.hp
(Corner Crumple reset)nj.hk > J.hp
Back throw > lk sempusha > j.hp
Back throw > lk sempusha > foward for a hair > j.mp

Ending Thoughts
If there are any others, please let me know. I know that some might feel that these are impractical but I do feel that seeing as some of these are meterless and takes away the option of blocking, these are very poweful ways to land your ultra 2. They open up the possibility of extra damage from resets into ultra 2 (Seth, Gouken, Vega, Sagat) and avoid some reversals (Seth, Viper, Abel). Coupled with the extra mix up from Feng Shui engine this is very dangerous.

Please leave your thoughts below. The first few posts on this topic will look very bare but with the updates the matchup’s will become more individualized and have a lot more setups. This is my personal project until AE drops in which I’ll have to verify they all still work or if any new setups come up.

-Big Nasty Kail

Awesome write up. Didn’t know it worked on Gen. Although I think if your gonna go over IOH then you should mention j.fierce, although it doesn’t do damaging combos it still works on some cast members that j.strong doesn’t. At least mention what characters it works on is what I mean.

I’m not home. This is just from memory. I will add this. I just wanted to put it down to have some frame work. Some dive kicks work for jump backs only… Some setups whiff unless jump back… Etc.

I’ll be going over every setup here once I get a moment. Personally I don’t find Jfierce as useful as there are more damaging combos that lead off of it. Although a low mixup once you cross over would be nice. I came up with a back throw setup on Seth so this might be nice.

Sorry for the confusion. Again… Work in progress. I hope in 20+ days I’ll be just about done and can go into ae ready.

Soon I’ll put together a testing list so anyone can test and help.

This is a nice idea. I just have a couple suggestions:

1. The ‘classic’ move names can be kind of confusing. It’s easier for everyone if you just use MP, HP, etc.
  2. You don’t need to list the same six ways to jump in for each different character.

Sweep - Lk senpusha on Balrog isnt easy to pull off at all, tried it yesterday and if i do it too quickly it completely whiffs. If it doesnt include going straight into a dash or jump its going to be hard to time, just how it is.

Turns out it loses to more than i imagined too universally loses to backdash, i know Rufus could punish with Ex-Messiah, Ex Snake Strikes, U2 and U1. Balrog gets out for free with everything, ex rush punchs, headbutts, ultra, super and backdash.

Success rate seems better if you set dummy to crouch, not so much if you set Juri to record the setups and do the proper blocking yourself. How are you testing crossovers from ex-counter without someone else? Different hitboxes when you hit them from behind you cant just assumes it works as a IOH if it combos on hit.

I’ll make the change to the easier names like cmp and hp.

Mike, the cross over kasatushi I’ve done in matches, along with sweep >lk sempusha on rog.

But I will be taking everyone of these in a real match to test them and adjusting accordingly. Be patient. Again I have 20 days plus to verify and add as much as possible. I don’t want to revisit these in ae.

Youve done crossover counter straight to fuzzy guard on all the characters you listed above? As in you confirmed they blocked high and then low and it hit? Do they work on hit? Only on proper block?

In due time mike. In due time. Tonight I’ll be going through all these just to verify. They should. They’re just jump ins.

Zangief:

T.Hawk:
Throw -> dash x4 -> j.MP (jump back works)

Incase anyones wondering stuff like this would be considered easy and practical, because you can queue dashs by just mashing on forward after animations.

@Kail, Different spacing on crossovers (will always vary on where they are) plus different hitbox (hitting from behind), its different.

I’ll check it out. I don’t think it will be a problem as most of them are hit towards you so it shouldn’t be a problem. Who knows with this game. Lol.

Again. I will try them all!

You know you guys can test these too to see if they work or how they work. I wanna do a write up for every character and how to use these well.

Ill observe and reap the benefits of anything thats discovered. Thats my stance on it lol. Im sure you can manage it on your own though, its not like theres a massive list of characters that it works on.

Mike I’m not asking you to be all gungho about. I just think that you’re a smart player that can help me flesh out ideas.

I’m the artist and your the business man. We make a good team. :3.

Anyways. I’m testing tonight. I’ll post my findings. If ex kasatushi works on all that’s great. A lot of players I’ve played are too worried about blocking correctly they will definitely eat this. Heh.

inspiration strikes.

What’s the recovery on forward dash kasatushi ex and lp versions?

Well i did say:

to which you replied:

You pretty much only say “it works for me so it works” But then you ask:

lol comeon man. Just get it done yourself, its not gonna take long.

Nono! I think you’re misunderstanding.

Lk sempusha works. I double tap the lk and get great results. I’m not saying it’s easy but I’ve used it in the rog matchup with pretty good results.

I meant that… There’s a lot of testing of the jumpins and such. If others tested some and could confirm it, it would make my job easier. If I must I will test them all.

So yea. I think you misunderstood.

Some housekeeping on the original post. Added Hotaru’s setup as it was written. Took off 2 setups. tough to get to work, cant confirm it outside of videos i’ve seen. :(. Will be doing Instant HP soon.

Thanks to Metallicmike and BeaM for the “What works on who” thread. I took what they wrote there and added the setup’s to the character list. I actually was suprised that some IOH setups work on like…cody, guy and dan. Opens up a lot of possibilities IMO. I did some additions for feng shui engine combos, credit going to where i found them.

edit: Added a few setups for deejay.

Big props to cavevato for the help with this matter. I’ll be testing characters like guile, fei long, rose, and sim once I get a chance. Get hype. If I can find some things That makes more than half the cast victim to an instant overhead in some way.

just an update on the new forums. Got a setup that works vs 16 characters. Will post later. If anyone has anything to add let me know. I’d like experimentation.