How am I supposed to practice?

Online? Everyone is a mindless masher. Yes, I can bait and punish it (although Vega isn’t the best character to fight mashers with) but that’s not the point. I can’t learn how to play against actual intelligent opponents when everyone I play is an online warrior. Not to mention the lag completely ruins my play, and my internet suddenly broke despite every effort to fix it, to the point that the game is pretty much unplayable unless I play at six in the morning.

[S]Offline? There isn’t much of a scene here. The only person I can play against regularly is my brother, and no offense to him, but he’s really bad, to the point where I’m constantly sandbagging. Nobody organizes any meetups here, and I definitely can’t do it.[/S]

Training mode? Okay, I can spend hours in training mode learning how to link Vega’s cr.LP into cr.MP. Then what? How am I actually supposed to learn how to play against a real person spending hours memorizing how to do one link and smacking (clawing?) around a target dummy?

[S]It feels like if I don’t live in California or New York, there’s no way to practice in this game.[/S]

EDIT: I was mistaken about the offline part, turns out there’s an offline scene here in Jax, so ignore that.

So the only acceptable play style you like to fight against is the one that fetches you get the easist win? If you think your “intelligent opponents” won’t mash… you are dead wrong.

Obviously you think your opponent should just let you run all your gimmicks on them without question. That’s not how it works. You need to learn how to apply things in certain situtations and be able to adapt quickly. Play more, complain less.

Um… wow. You didn’t read my post at all, did you?

Where do you live? If you are truly in the middle of nowhere, you are kind of SOL in some respects, but all is not lost. You can check out the matchmaking threads here, find players who know what they are doing, and see if they will run some sets with you to level up. Playing against random people online is a mixed bag at best, but if you can find a solid group of players to add to your friends list, that will definitley help you learn faster.

He did, it just wasn’t the answer that you wanted.:slight_smile:

If you’re issue is a lack of offline comp and you have already excused yourself from going out of your way to organize a local gaming session, then you have already set yourself up for disappointment.

If you still have the drive to play, you could start learning how to play other characters in order to familiarize yourself with them and learn how your preferred character(s) approach the match up.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Huh? He said he wanted more difficult opponents, or rather human opponents that he can actually learn to perform trickier moves/combos/links on because he’s frustrated with the unreliability of online play.

OP: Have you checked the matchmaking threads? Is there any arcade scene in your area at all? Check some out, make some friends, play SFIV with them. There’s no point moaning about nobody playing outside of NYC or Cali because that’s obviously a load of crap, yeah you can’t exactly run out into the street shouting “Who wants to play Street Fighter?”, but I’m sure there are people around you could hook up with.

I did. Ahem…

“Online? Everyone is a mindless masher. Yes, I can bait and punish it (although Vega isn’t the best character to fight mashers with) but that’s not the point. I can’t learn how to play against actual intelligent opponents when everyone I play is an online warrior. Not to mention the lag completely ruins my play, and my internet suddenly broke despite every effort to fix it, to the point that the game is pretty much unplayable unless I play at six in the morning.”

Basically complaing that you lose. But will blame anything BUT yourself on it. Internet, your opponents, your character.

“Offline? There isn’t much of a scene here. The only person I can play against regularly is my brother, and no offense to him, but he’s really bad, to the point where I’m constantly sandbagging. Nobody organizes any meetups here, and I definitely can’t do it.”

More crying. Assuming you can read a map and know the difference between Atlantic and Pacific and know your four cardinal directions you should be able to find a scene somewhere near you. Sorry I can’t read your mind and know where you live.

“Training mode? Okay, I can spend hours in training mode learning how to link Vega’s cr.LP into cr.MP. Then what? How am I actually supposed to learn how to play against a real person spending hours memorizing how to do one link and smacking (clawing?) around a target dummy?”

I already answered this. Stop crying and play more.

“feels like if I don’t live in California or New York, there’s no way to practice in this game.”

=O

Your both missing the point, she just wants to know how she can find good competition when she isn’t finding it online, and she says she doesn’t have a local scene offline. The purpose of this subforum is for people like her to get guidance, not to have a bunch of people screaming ‘PLAY TO WIN!’ at her. She wants help to get better and level up her game; if all you are going to do is chide her, your input isn’t going to be helpful. Let’s give her some advice on finding better competition online, and encouragement and support in finding it online, instead of condecending bs :).

Did my smiley make it better?

If your internet is bad, then master your execution.

I can understand the OP’s frustration. I use Viper, and because people just uppercut upon waking, it becomes a habit to bait it out and punish. But then you play someone who has some sense and bam, your bad habits surface.

I’ve won too many matches by seismos online, and it doesn’t feel like I’m learning the right stuff. Rather, my opponents are idiots and will do a special or some other stupid thing upon wakeup.

Honestly, it’s not a big deal, though: you should be able to adapt to the real opponents quickly. That’s part of the game. The minute you know your opponent is an idiot, just role out easy style.

Also, I’ve had better matches in the nonranked areas of the game. Those places, people don’t mash for their life. Instead, I think they are trying to learn and aren’t afraid to take risks and improve. Ranked matches, it’s a panic-b####-fest. You might want to try nonranking matches.

“Offline? There isn’t much of a scene here. The only person I can play against regularly is my brother, and no offense to him, but he’s really bad, to the point where I’m constantly sandbagging. Nobody organizes any meetups here, and I definitely can’t do it.”

More crying. Assuming you can read a map and know the difference between Atlantic and Pacific and know your four cardinal directions you should be able to find a scene somewhere near you. Sorry I can’t read your mind and know where you live.

We should hold their hand because they can’t find the match making forum?

Well that’s your fault, get yourself out of those bad habits. Just because someone is playing stupid, doesn’t mean you have to spam one move the whole time.

Again, that’s your fault. If your opponents are pulling repetitive moves and you can read them, use some fucking combos and seriously punish them. Hell, if someone just spammed fireballs all match, I wouldn’t just roll my eyes and whack out one or two moves against them, I’d fuck their shit up. So should you. You’re whining about not having the opportunity to play better or learn more, but you’re given a golden opportunity to learn trickier shit and put combos into practice against an opponent who is predictable as hell and there you are telling yourself you shouldn’t even bother making the effort - roll out the easy style. If you went up against a pro player with your mentality, you wouldn’t learn anything, you’d rage and whine some more because you’re getting utterly hammered and not getting anything out of it.

The recommendation to pick up new characters was actually very good advice. Much easier to figure out what to do against various mixups/setups when you know what they are.

Aside from that, I really recommend watching lots of match vids. Very helpful in terms of seeing new setups (a lot of the time something will be easier to understand when you see it in action rather than just reading about it online), and more importantly seeing how the pros are responding to setups and whatnot from other characters.

If you don’t have a scene, try taking some initiative and set one up. Doesn’t take much more than starting a new thread here in most cases. Worse case scenario, you might have some driving ahead of you. If I wanna play GG or BB forreal, I gotta drive about 4 hrs either north or south of VA Beach. That’s just how it is some times, so you gotta figure out whether or not it’s worth your time. I won’t lie to you, it’s kinda a shitty situation, and that’s most of the reason I don’t play those fighters anymore.

My personal favorite option is to pick up a character that is like 99% offense, and pray that all the time you spend in training mode learning to do retarded shit pays off. Viper would prolly be your best bet here.

What the hell? I said you have to adapt! I never said I spam one move. Just that my final (winning) move always ends up being seismo because people wakeup and do shoryu or hadokens. Jesus…

I also said that the player has to adapt appropriately anyway. I took full responsibility, geez. I’m saying, against an opponent you already know in and out, there’s nothing to learn. If you’re saying to use an easy opponent like they are training mode fodder, well… duh?

FYI, I know it doesn’t mean much, but I’ve beaten the #1 BP El Fuerte and #6 Vega. I’m still in the 1500-1600 PP range, but I’ve taken down 3000 and 2000 people (not consistently). I’ve lost many more times against the same people, but my point is, I never complain. Just learn and move on…

You’re not going to learn how to play just practicing links in training mode. That’s like trying to learn to play basketball just by shooting free throws. SF4 is a game of knowledge and reading your opponents. If you really can’t find an offline scene in your city (unlikely unless you can’t drive) then you have to focus on learning what you can about matchups from threads and training mode. Instead of practicing links you can already do you should instead focus on learning new things every time you go into the training room. Use the record feature and learn different character’s options in different situations. It takes a bit longer than playing against intelligent opponents but it’s better than playing random players online.

Also you can just use the online matchmaking threads on SRK to find better opponents who won’t mash on every wakeup.

TL;DR: Training mode isn’t just for combos and online play isn’t just ranked matches with random players.

They are “mashing” shit on your wakeup because you are standing over them pressing buttons, dummies.

This thread is pointless. I already answered it in the first post. Unless the OP is going to state their location there is nothing more to do here.

There is always UYG if you ever want to improve. If you want better people online, then find SRKers through match making.

Okay, I’m sorry. I didn’t see the matchmaking threads. I’ll try that out, and I’ll try some other suggestions, like playing in endless and watching pros play. Thanks to most of you for your suggestions. Just FYI, I live in the Jacksonville, FL area.

@booty clapper: Just stop. You are not helping in any way, shape or form.

AHAHAHA. Sorry, we aren’t here to hold your hand through everything. You need to learn to read and figure out how to obtain information on your own. You asked and stated a bunch of vague questions and rants. I answered them, you didn’t like my answer because you already had a predetermined one in your head that you expected.

Would this have been a better answer for you?

“DURSSSSSDSP i thinksa you neds to presssss mo buttans wid da ryu man! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR iiii i i waill pway ya and wet you u u wahin so youda be da happys! a a a a xboxwiz gaymer tawg XxnInJaDaNkSm0ka420zxX”

Better?