How are Frames Counted in Input Lag Reporting?

I did some reasonably high resolution lag testing a while ago on HDR - stuff like this:
http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/misc/delay/righttest.html
But it’s not clear to me whether the reported lag numbers include the ‘last frame’.

For example, would you say that the lag in this test:
http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/misc/delay/turbodelay1.html
Is 3.9 or 4.9 frames?

We use the top secret SRK Tech Talk Lag-O-Meter off course.

Seriously speaking though, I’m not sure about HDR, but old Capcom hardware had about 4 frames of input delay so you have to consider that.

Also, it wouldn’t it be better to test using a normal, like hin Ken’s 3rd Strike OE lag tests last year?

Thank you for the response, but could you answer the actual question in the OP?

Even using the less generous counting method, the CPS-2 SSF2T I tested averaged less than 4 frames of lag at turbo 1.

I don’t want to get embroiled in testing methodology minutiae, but for lag testing, you something that has distinctive start-up, like the instant crouch while quite a number of normals have start-up that is hard (or impossible) to distinguish from neutral posture.

For that, we’d just normally say 4 frames because the animation started on the 4th frame (same as how we counted in the 3S test).

We;re not supposed to talk about that!!

Ok, so if I’m trying to be more precise than a frame does the animation start at the start of the 4th frame or at the end of the 4th frame (or at some other time)?

Edit: I guess we want things to go to the same average with different methods, so I can go from there.

Rufus, to get around “intentional” lag (startup frames for moves) how about not even use the game. Try using the test menu. That should be the closest indication as to how much time it takes for the game program to see an input and update the display.
-ud

That’s great for sticks/PCBs, but is no really an appropriate test for checking in-game stuff for players. HDR supposedly has different timing in training and vs mode.

Unless the game is running at faster than 60 fps, then there’s no “start” and “end” animation within a single frame, the specific “frame” from the sprite sheet just displays. The game is refreshing it’s state every 1/60th of a second. If you’re seeing an animation change mid-frame, either the game is somehow running faster than 60fps or the camera isn’t in sync with the screen.