How can I stop losing?

How do I get over mental blocks?(if this is one) In Vanilla since it came out I’ve used Cammy the whole way and I’d get to 3000 BP then lose, lose, lose, til I get to around 2500 BP then win easily til I get up to or around 3000 BP. Now in Super I still use Cammy then rose to 2500 easily they I found myself stuck at around 2500 PP/3000 PP because I lose, lose , lose very close games then lose to some execution error, Ultra, or failed tech or flat out fail to block or react to jump ins. I watch videos, go back to training mode to see what I did wrong then try to find a safer way to do what I just failed at and everything but I can’t get passed 3000 PP for more than a couple games then ill lose til I get back to 2500 PP. I know a lot about Cammy been maining her for 2 years but for some reason it’s like I have to lose right at the last second this happens in most of the games I play? Also, one more thing I’ll lose to someone once then rejoin them and I’ll beat them sometimes resulting it stuns, perfects, or making little mistakes.

TL;DR I’ve mained the same character for 2 years and stayed at 2500BP/2500PP in Vanilla/Super. Can;t get passed 3000 BP/3000 PP when I do I lose very close games due to stupidity til I’m back down around 2500. I do my research but I can’t get passed 3000 how do I get passed this silly mental block.

Don’t use online play as a measurement of your skill.

Pop down to the regional matchmaking section. Meet some people in your area to play casuals with. You are better of setting goals based off local play than PP/BP, which is basically meaningless.

Take a break from the game. If you can’t do that, take a break from the character. By actively aiming to get above a certain number of points online (in other words, worrying too much about points), you may be putting too much pressure on yourself. Kooper is right. In the end, you need to realize that a number of points online doesn’t mean anything and isn’t an accurate measurement of skill.

Agreed with the notion that online and player points are not a feasible measuring apparatus for skill. Instead, write down a list of performance goals. In basketball, players have field goals that show objectively what they did and didn’t do. In your case, take note of the percentage of throws you teched, combos you’ve fully performed, anti-air punishments etc etc. Then improve one of those various areas of play. try to get a training partner, or good circle of people you meet online so you have consistency. Try to make it out to a local tourny(depending on where you live of course). Believe it or not, if you watch high level tournament matches with a good commentator who explains what’s going on in the minds of the players, as well as explaining why certain things they did worked(or didn’t), that can have a positive effect on your gameplay.

If you lost to something character specific, go in the training mode and set the cpu opponent to playback the moves that you had the most trouble with and try to look for ways to counter them.

If you have time, watch your replays to see what you are doing wrong.

I’d say watch your replays and see if you are playing any differently just before you lose. Are you pressing buttons when you don’t need to? Are you trying to sneak in meter building moves when it might be a little unsafe? Are you forgetting they have an ultra stocked and doing something unsafe? Is it possible that you are slipping into auto-pilot towards the end of the matches? Then after losing, you refocus and destroy the person.

Your problem basically applies to anything that people do regularly whether it’s for fun or not. Remember Shining? All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Seems to me that playing this game has became a work for you. I’m sure you’ll know what to do about it.

@ everyone thanks for the advice i’ll try to use it wisely. After I hit youtube, training mode, and ,replay channel I’ll hopefully be ready for local tournaments.

Hit up some local casuals too! Meet some locals.

Just go to tournaments now. Once you get familiar with your local offline scene, its easy to get an idea of who is at your level, who is below your level, and who is above your level, instead of just going based on something as abstract as points. Online is the anti-hyperbolic time chamber.

post of the year, this should be an article.

you bought that bullshit? I suppose online being “worthless” is another SRK myth. I assume this is because people feel that the player pool is inadequate, or that by playing online you don’t max out the percentage of people who are interested in bettering their game? either way OP, don’t buy the idea that playing online = make you bad. online can teach you. it can hurt you too, if you’re not smart. just like playing in one specific player pool can teach you and hurt you. do what you want, just don’t stick to a particular group of players if you’re trying to reach your limit.

what makes a player bad is sucking. what makes them suck is not performing well. what makes them not perform well is a lack of proper action and knowledge. in short, if you want to stop losing, you need to learn about the game and you need to master what you’ve learned. you can gain knowledge and mastery from online opponents, offline opponents, SRK, at an arcade, in the fucking zoo – it doesn’t matter, so long as you get knowledge and use it.

though I need to say, “stop losing” is a pretty vague goal. it doesn’t say whether you want to become a decent player, a great player, a tourney participant, or a rival for the top tourney spots.

Of course online can help, but I don’t know anyone who is good at SF who doesn’t use online as supplementary to their training at most. In the OP’s case, instead of trying to understand what it is that makes skilled players good, which is essentially understanding how to play the game, he’s just going by points as benchmarks for success.

Offline is simply a more dynamic environment to learn SF in too. You can exchange information in real time more easily with a greater variety of players, and observe matches in between yours.

Fuck, you can get good at SF from spending 99% of your training time just observing matches too, but I wouldn’t recommend it just like I wouldn’t recommend spending 99% of your training time online.

I agree that going by points is a bad measure. but to say online’s meaningless is one of the greatest bullshit stories of all time. as for what you’ve said, that applies to every form of training. that’s the main reason why I said don’t stick to a particular pool of players. play new yorkers and you’ll have a “compete vs new yorker” style and you’ll be fucked when you go to california. same for california to new york. you get better playing california, new york, new mexico, old mexico, madagascar, mars, whatever the hell’s out there

I don’t know if I’d go as far as to say online is completely worthless.

Ok i’ll stop worrying so much about points I seem to be pressuring myself a little bit too much. The way I saw it was the people around 3000PP were a little bit better than me and I’d lose because I’d fail to step up my game enough to beat someone better than me. It wasnt so much about the points it was the fact that I’d get to the same part then lose meaning im failing at something so I wanted to finally get passed that point then that would show that i’m improving on at least one thing different than before.

Online play does have some merits as mentioned above, but it’s important to know what you should try to take advantage of if you want to be a better player overall. When I go online I try to focus on fundamentals: Making low-risk reads, spacing, zoning. This is because even if there a few frames of lag, the value of this play never changes. On the other hand, I don’t bother with gimmicks. Trying to abuse the reduced tech-window for grabs and mashing through my opponents combos is only going to cover holes in my strategy that would be wide open against an offline opponent. Practice solid play and you can’t go wrong.

to answer your concern on points… just because someone has more points than you doesn’t mean they’re better than you are. it doesn’t even mean that they’re better prepared for tournament settings than you. i don’t want to say they’re meaningless, but they are definitely not a measure of a player.

i’ve spent extensive time playing online and at local meetups, and I can tell you that online is almost worthless for getting better. the player base is largely unskilled. about half the matches I play have lag noticeable enough to interfere with my reaction speed.

online can help I guess, but there are so many things you aren’t going to see consistently online that i’m not convinced it’s really an effective way to improve.

anyway, OP should not try to “stop losing.” try to get better. wins will come, but you have to go through maybe years of losses to achieve consistent wins against skilled opponents.