How can you measure good keep-away?

Yeah my Doom sucks. I play him like a projectile character.

If you play him online just footdive. Always works. (Please know that Im joking, dont do that.)

Still, the “free” TOD combo with Arthur must be tempting. You can play him as a zoner and learn that one tac combo so Arthur can essentially kill off of any hit and gain a shit ton of meter in the process. It’s marvel 3.

But TACing is too cheap for me… I just feel bad when I do it.

Fuck that. You play the game, you use the tools. Not your fault dumb tools exist, but you can bet your ass that your opponent wont hesitate to use it against you.

And the best thing I can get off of them online is MMHS. Shit is impossible online. Plus you can break them, I like my things to be guaranteed.

HuH? Arthur has no TODs.

Arthur TAC into Doom is a three way guess into possible TOD. Who cares if it can be broken when the alternative is leaving the character you just hit alive so they can try getting in on you again, and then killing you off of one hit?

He means using the Doom TAC infinite to score a kill. I wouldn’t really call it a TOD for Arthur because he did almost nothing in that combo, but it can lead to a kill from a hit that point Arthur landed, so some may consider it a TOD for him.

Very much agree. I believe the pinnacle of keepaway isn’t just making it so the opponent never gets close to you, but it is when you take control of the zone in between yourself and the opponent so that you can pick and choose your points of attack and escape, similar to a hit and run style. Take ChrisG for example: at first, his Morrigan was all about firing as many soul fists so that you don’t have the chance to get close to her. Now, he uses her mobility not only as a way of attacking and being able to cover her mixups, but to cover her escape as soon as he realizes the opponent didn’t get opened up. As much as I love Arthur, I realized he couldn’t fit in into this play style as well as other characters can when it came to high level play. Having many daggers and axes doesn’t change the fact that his mobility is very limited, which I think is the reason why he isn’t as dominant as a zoning neutral character like say Morrigan or Wesker.

There is no line.

If repeatedly just throwing out shizz works against your opponent, then by all means do it. If you aren’t being forced to adapt by your opponent, then you don’t need to.

You have to remember what game we’re in though. A person can play great keepaway and still lose in the end, because the select few times they got caught the opponent wrecked their shit with obnoxious, long damaging combos.

A keep away player has to work a lot harder in this game and has more pressure on them to play perfectly. Its always an up-hill battle.

You don’t give Arthur enough credit. The only thing he really lacks is a standing dash. Otherwise his jumping speed is ok, double jump is great for mindgames, and jumping S is awesome for mobility and the surprise offensive pressure.

Then he has a great option with fire bottle which serve various purposes in the air.

You measure it with a ruler. If the other guy is less than inches from your character, your keep away is wrong.

Which is why when you land a combo for w/e reason during your zoning game, it needs to hurt. No reason to do combos that don’t kill a character in this game.

Exactly my point: playing pure keepaway requires a lot more work if your only goal is to not let your opponent hit you. That’s why I said in order to improve the effectiveness of keepaway, you have to mix it with styles of zoning where you pick you points of attack. Also, it helps if the character you’re playing is able to do decent amount of damage if they do land a combo.

If anyone can win consistently with Arthur, that’s pretty godlike, but a lot of the times I see him win is because the opponent did not know how to fight the matchup properly i.e. crouchblocking/calling assists trying to get in on him when he has gold armor XF3. I’m not discrediting anyone playing him, but there are ways to totally shut down his game if you’re playing some of his bad matchup characters. I have played him in tournaments, have put him up against high level players, and from past experience, it only took them a couple games to exploit Arthur’s weaknesses.
I’m mostly basing my argument off of having him at anchor. I don’t have too much experience with him backed up with missiles or anything, so I can’t say if he can prove to be as effective as Morrigan or Hawkeye. If you think his jumping speed is okay, then yeah, stick with Arthur. For me, that’s one of his biggest weaknesses, outside of his dash. His j.S does solve part of the problem, but its pretty obvious where you are going to commit when you do it, and that only solves his vertical movement, not his horizontal.

What if you have a really large TV?

My point Arthur is pretty decent-good. Only characters that give me trouble anymore are Captain America, Hulk, Spencer, and Dorm. Because their strengths happen to be the direct antithesis to his. As in, their retarded armored/invincible moves that one can spam on reaction and it’ll plow through almost everything.

For everyone else on the roster though, i have an answer for their tactics.

You forgot any character with a teleport. And the top 8 thats not viper. And your getting beaten by hulk? Mash missiles moar, use jumping axe then daggers.

Teleport characters aren’t a big deal actually.

And hulks are just so overbearing and always trying to get in your face at the very start of the match. If i can withstand that initial onslaught and get them away, its not bad, but if they catch me with something then my s**t gets wrecked.

Seriously…armored moves, invincible supers, a million health, crazy damage? Why the $%&# wasn’t Hulk nerfed like Sent was for some measure of balance?

Well all of his stuff is punishable. But that doesnt matter online, thats why hes so good online. Without assists hes pretty shitty.