How did you start to become good at fighting games?

I’ve been play street fighter 4 for 5 weeks now using cammy and sagat as my main and i play everyday for an hour, and i lost every match i have been in lol and i still have fun. But i want to know how long did it take you to start winning in fighting games? If it takes a long time should i keep investing time or stop practicing everyday and just play for fun? if it is a long time to invest to become a better player is it worth it?

Lol, 4/5 weeks is nothing unfortunately. It’s gonna take you a loooooot longer than that to get good (could be months… probably years. Even then… you might only be good). Everyone’s different. I’ve got about 800 or so matches under my belt now, I’m better than I was, but I’m still pretty poor. BUT! I have made progress and I do feel that I can now say that, “I’m ok at Street Fighter!” Lol. Well, I’m glad you’re having fun! That’s probably the most important thing.

You will have to invest a lot of time and effort to be a great player. You will still have to invest a lot to be a better player than you are now. Is it worth it? That’s only something you can answer. I’m sure laying down beat downs on most nearly everybody is satisfying, especially after what I’m sure is a long-ass time of paying your dues. What do you want to get out of the game? Do you want to win tournaments? Make some monies? (Lol, not gonna be much, even if you win) Or do you just want to be able to beat your friends?

Playing for fun is the most important thing which I’m sure many people here will echo my sentiments. Enjoy the journey and see where it takes you.

Well, is it fun to invest your time? Isn’t it fun to see your hard work pay off when you manage to overcome the tricky situation you practiced for, or land the combo you once thought impossible? If you’re already having fun doing what you’re doing, then what sense does it make to stop that and “play for fun”?

This message has been deleted.

you have a misconception that you’ll just graduate one day. its really a loooong series of minor improvements, and most of the time its hard to notice much of a difference day to day (and this is hardly just true of SF)

on the bright side, the more time you invest, the more fun it tends to get (as you’ll be winning more). thats why you see so many top players who have been playing 5, 10, sometimes even more than 15 years! I’m sure even more of the contemporaries those top players grew up with would still be playing if they ever got good enough to make a living off of it.

one last bit of encouragement: being a noob also means you get the best skill jumps for the amount of work you put in right now. It’s going to take you a hell of a lot less time to be good enough to beat the bottom 80% of players skill wise than it will be to challenge the top 20%.

• First of all what are you practicing? People think practicing an hour a day is saying something, but for all anyone knows you could be practicing things that aren’t helping you win.

• 5 weeks isn’t even close to a long time especially if you are learning on your own and not with or from someone else. There are people who have been playing for 20 years and there are people who play against heavy local competition every day. Fighting games don’t have real weight or experience classes the way other types of fights are set up so as a beginner you may be going into fight you have no chance of winning by just playing anyone.

• You can get fairly good in one week if you are under a regulated training situation with someone who knows how to play, but you can also play everyday for 10 years and still be terrible if aren’t learning the things you need to and or are picking up bad habits.

ill admit, it took me awhile to get at least alright in street fighter 4. First you actually have to find the character that suits your fighting style the most (to me its Vega. I thought it would be Ryu because I normally like using karate, but he is nothing like that and he doesn’t really interest me while Vega does.) once I did after a couple of loses, I started to get lots more wins, even up to a 12 win streak last time I checked my record at least. It all takes skill, finding a good character that really suites you, and patience (oooo and it took me a week to start wining)

thanks for all of your advice! i really enjoy playing street fighter, but i was asking for all of your personal stories and opinions on how you got started into fighting game and when you did became good at the game was it worth it to you? Do you just play for fun and that you don’t care if you win or lose? I apologize for the misconception i made i play the game to have fun i never had a competitive spirit in me i just enjoy the game win or lose.

Well I feel I can give some decent advice since I’m also a new player and asked the very same questions.

1. 4-5 weeks is not even enough time to think about being good.Unfortunately fighting games take a huge ammount of time to learn and get good at. I would estimate probably around three years of serious playing is when a person send to be like “I’m OK at fighting games.” in my case I’ve pretty much excepted te fact that it will be around two years before I started winning
    As for becoming good, that is a question I’m still searching for, answers you get here on this board will be just practice, however this is a very vague unclear answer. Knowing what to practice and how is critical to leveling up at all.

2. We all play for fun, but I do care of I win or lose. Winnig is the whole point we play, everyone wants the satisfaction of winning, we all put in too much time to lose, and refuse to accept the answer that gettin to a level where you can compete but not win is satisfactory.

3. I don’t think it is fun to play fighting games casually. You willl end up mashing buttons and burn put really quickly. How much time you invest and how serious you are about it is up to you. I don’t have many things going for me IRL so playing these games and the idea of getting tournements level is refreshing. When I’m not studying I’m thinking of what I’m going to do in the lab, and how I’m going to level my self up.

If you do end up getting serious I suggest setting a goal you want to achieve.

Overall my goals are to get sponsored, win a major tournement, and acquire a decent knowledge in the games so I can make a high quality tutorial that really gives begginers the tools they need to succeed, so many tutorials on the web or just glorified definition videos, without really helping you advance your game. (dont mean to name drop, but Behrudy’s intro to UMVC3 was a fucking joke, and a disrespectful slap in the face to all begginers, however he did recently start getting some players who were good with certain characters to make a video giving some really helpful tips, for example: Sentinel so if only more videos were like those l, where good players are taking the time to teach the ins and outs of the games.)

However my goals are probably far fetched and like I said you really have to decide if this is going to be what you want to do , so I hope you end up sticking through it, the scene is desperate for newcomers like us to rise above.

Well I wouldn’t say that I am “good” even after a year but that is maybe because I have another definition of what “good” means to me. For me, a good player is someone who wins games because he actually understands what’s going on right now. Who is aware of his options and uses his character to the fullest (footsies, okizeme, combos, tricks, adapting to the situation in general etc.) So if he loses he actually loses because he got outplayed and not because of bullshit (getting hit by ex slashes, the same setups, the same non crossup divekick, eating safejumps, keeps backdashing although he ate already 30 OS’es etc.) and who is also able to “get into someones head”.

As I said I don’t consider myself good because I am not even close to the level which I personally consider “good” yet my biggest winstreak in ranked is 46 wins but then again I blame europe for it lol.
It took me probably a year until I started winning tons of ranked matches but thats maybe because I am quite dedicated to this game. Theres not much going on here but fortunately the connection is fine so I end up playing online alot and I also get myself decent opponents and if someone is better I actually never hesitate to ask them question about what they think I should improve and continue to play sets against them.

As people mentioned already perfect practice makes perfect. For example I played against a german Ryu who started earlier than I did but he didn’t improve at all. He kept playing ranked and refused to play endless with me for whatever reason. While I spent time in the lab and reading framedata, majs footsie handbook, mingos regimen, practised blocking, practised combos he just kept playing ranked.
I can’t say if he improved or not compared to how he played earlier but he still does the same mistakes in ranked and I usually woop the floor with him (he used to rape me though when I started).

If you only want to get to a skill level above average just keep practising a structured offense (frametraps/throws, hitconfirms, max damage combos), defense (antiairing, blocking, escaping tight situations with your specific character, playing all characters on a basic mixup level so you know what awaits you after specific knockdowns, teching throws, teching throws, and teching throws) and your knockdowngame / okizeme / vortex (setups, safejumps, unblockables, throw/meaty/block mixups, safejumps and safejumps).

I started playing when SSF4:AE was released, my friend got me into it. I’ve been playing continuously but stopped for six months at one point.

I feel like I’m just starting to get good now, as I’m at least competitive with most of the good players online. I don’t think I have any glaring flaws in my game but I have a weakness against character specific tricks that I always forget about since I don’t play that much.

Was it all worth it? Overall I’d say yes, but in general I don’t have a huge amount of enthusiasm about fighting games anymore for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, I can hardly relate to anyone about it, even other gamers. It’s a very niche activity and not something one would want to bother mentioning to most people. Secondly, I don’t have the time to physically meet other players but once in a blue moon, and playing online can be frustrating due to lag.

The reason I still play is that I feel fighting games (SF style ones in particular) are one of the most complex and interesting platforms for competition ever conceived, and it’s extremely good mental exercise. That said, I’d never take fighting games more seriously than I do, even if I thought I was one of the best players in the world. There’s simply no incentive to spend so much time playing over other things I could be doing.

I am an average player, I started playing In December for the first time with an Arcade Stick, and my first real win online was not until a few months. Now I dont really win too often but I stopped playing for a few months and lost some of my previous knowledge. When I practised my execution for hours at a time for pretty much everyday my gameplay increased massively. One thing I think is good is to get involved with tournaments and watch games if you cant play. This gives you a growing knowledge constantly. Even when I stopped playing for a few months I still watched YF24’s videos and tutorial on things, so my performance didn’t drop too badly, but make sure you have consistent practise and practise a specific goal, like ‘Hit this combo 50 times in a row’ or ‘Win X games without jumping in’. You should see a steady improvement then :slight_smile:

I’m above average at SF, and I think at semi-pro level on Melee, and at least average in SC. It doesn’t always take lots of practice, sometimes it comes naturally, but you still need some time to hone your skills.

I’ve been playing SF2 off and on since HDR came out, and been playing rather consistently for well over a year now. I just think some people suck, I know people who just can’t get good.

I think it’s worth the investment. It’s a lot more fun when you’re good, and if you’re really talented, you can go pro which has obvious benefits.

Personally, I feel that SF is one of the hardest fighters to start on. I used to play Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2 at an above average level, almost pro, I’m also fairly good at SC but for whatever reason SF is giving me A LOT of trouble. Many things I have to relearn and such.

Been playing SF seriously for what, a week now? and I have a 1 - 250 streak, I really want to get good though, so I just practice practice and practice. Hell, just recently I remembered I had a Shoryuken account, hopefully my progress will slightly improve.

When learning to “fightan gamu,” there are a few major factors that help in speeding up the process:

1. Go outside and find people to play with. Don’t have a fighting game group in your town? Find a way to create one. Seriously, having people to play offline that you can build the passion with is priceless in your journey.

2. When you play, play to learn first and foremost. You won’t be winning anything anytime soon, anyways. Enjoy yourself, try new strats, take down notes. Gradually eliminate anything that doesn’t work with good ol’ fashioned logic and science. You’ll be surprised at how much more this helps you than being concerned with PP or a W/L ratio.

3. Read the Footsies handbook (watch the video examples) and read Sirlin’s Playing to Win book. Links below:

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

1. Specifically in SF4, don’t pick some wonky-ass character to start with. I know it might seem boring to some, but picking one of the five in MMM’s article below is a solid way to start:

http://crosscounter.tv/top-5-gateway-characters-for-new-players-in-street-fighter-iv/

**NOTE: **Sagat isn’t really a bad choice, at all. You can definitely learn how to properly space and anti air with him, so if you like him a lot, I’d say stick with him. This brings me to my final point:

1. Whoever you pick, stick with them! I can’t stress this enough. Lots of people suck at SF4 because they never committed. They can play 6 characters at an above average level, but none of them are really good.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. Good luck, young grasshopper! :slight_smile:

Think of it this way.

If someone’s been working just as hard as you have, only for five years instead of 5 weeks, should you really expect to beat them? That only happens if you can take them out of their comfort zone.

I never became good
I’m still not good

Unfortunately this can be the harsh reality for some of us.

Persistence…

refusing to accept that i was bad, and talking alot of shit in the process