How do i spilt a usb signal safely?

Ok so im building a cabinet and plan to run mame off my pc and run xbox 360 within the cabinet.
I pad hacked two Madcatz 360 pads (4716) and want that to be the main pcb for each player of the cabinet, i do not want to run an i-pac or multiple pcb’s unless i have to however:

I want to know how can i spilt that male usb cable or the signal that runs of the 4716 pcb to deliver to my pc and my xbox via usb?
I guess im looking for a safe 2 way switch or a safe way to splice/wire the usb cable to deliver that signal to both consoles?

The reason why i want to do this is because since i only “plan” to have one pcb and one usb male end i have to manually switch the usb cable from my xbox and pc to play each one…

Here is a horrible diagram below i hope this explains:

any help or suggestions would be nice thank you

It’s not cheap, and I’m not sure it will work with the Xbox360 Crypto BS, but you’ll probably end up using something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014J1P3C/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

Rufus that looks like the perfect solution i’ve never seen that device before, thanks
but ehh still your right its a lil expensive

do you think that the kensington or similar device will suffer from input lag?

Ideally, it’s just a physical switch. If it does logic, you’re probably looking at 1 ms lag (which is probably short enough that you don’t care.)

you could use two dpdt switches, wouldn’t be very nice though and you would have to make sure that they are always both switched to the same position.

In my mind i have it as:

Switch 1 switches between = D- (PC) & D+ (PC) / D- (Xbox) & D+ (Xbox)

Switch 2 switches between = +5v (PC) & GND (PC) / +5v (Xbox) & GND (Xbox)

Plugging both in at the same time without a switch could potentially fry the PCB.

1ms isn’t horrible i guess and Theri thanks i thought of a similar switch but i might need something a lil more “safe”, just in case other people other than myself decide to start messing with it…

on the other hand if i do decide to run a i-pac (just because an i-pac might actually be cheaper than (2) dual port usb switch devices and safer than a dpdt switch) will it be safe to:

Have the madcatz pcb usb ran to the XBOX 360 and have the i-pac usb ran to the PC and have both the PCB’s wire directly to the buttons on the control panel and if I have both the PC and XBOX powered on would that damage anything? such as would either pcb be getting more than 5v, or would that screw with any direct signals being sent from the buttons to either pcb and then to the xbox/pc?

I hope that makes sense, or if you guys have any other suggestions on how to make it work i really appreciate it

^Or just one 4PDT switch.

1ms isn’t horrible i guess and Theri thanks i thought of a similar switch but i might need something a lil more “safe”, just in case other people other than myself decide to start messing with it…

on the other hand if i do decide to run a i-pac (just because an i-pac might actually be cheaper than (2) dual port usb switch devices and safer than a dpdt switch) will it be safe to:

Have the madcatz pcb usb ran to the XBOX 360 and have the i-pac usb ran to the PC and have both the PCB’s wire directly to the buttons on the control panel and if I have both the PC and XBOX powered on would that damage anything? such as would either pcb be getting more than 5v, or would that screw with any direct signals being sent from the buttons to either pcb and then to the xbox/pc?

I hope that makes sense, or if you guys have any other suggestions on how to make it work i really appreciate it

You can’t use a single DPDT because you risk the PC and XBox both being on at the same time. I would use a manual USB switch. It’s possible that you could set it up to use whatever switches the video input between the XBox and PC to also switch the USB switch.

Well that was my first idea, just didn’t know where to get one :stuck_out_tongue:

4PDT switch is the cheapest.
If you want something now you could just go to a store and but a USB KVM switch, prepare to get raped on price though

All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices