How do you develop "footsies"..?

I just got finished reading the Handbook and, needless to say, it was pretty daunting. While I do feel like I learned a little something, I still don’t particularly understand the entire scope of it all. So, I guess what I’m asking is, how did you guys go about developing this “skill” as it were? From just playing SFxT, I would have tremendous trouble with playing the neutral game and opening more intelligent players up, so I think understanding as much as I can about this subject would help my game tremendously.

Put out normals that stop the opponent specifically. and you want to pick some thing that keeps your hurtbox out of the way. the best footsie is standing still in neutral in a good distance. its all about moving around keeping you safe and stopping your opponent from getting in. while anything you throw out will stop anything they try.

To get better at this takes time and experience, every different character you face will call for an altered footsie. Knowing frame data/playing Endless really helps with this. Switching the pace of your movement and finding the habits of what you press for no reason, you want to have a specific reason to why you pressed the button as well as think about if they seen you or not. Good players will recognize why you threw that and then not give you what you want. This is the element some new players ignore so they keep trying their magical button as if the opponent is just gonna fly right into it.

Hope this helped.

PS: Footsie doesn’t always mean push a button, it can just mean bait an overhead (or jump) from sitting down or bait a sweep by standing up and walking into the range then blocking last minute

It’s a good handbook, but knowing the theory behind it is only half the battle. Footsies isn’t something that you can head into training mode and develop easily. It requires a unique knowledge/experience combination of spacing fundamentals, game knowledge, and player psychology.

But it helps to take it one step at a time. Luckily, the handbook does a very good job explaining basic aspects and showing off video examples (even though some of the links are now dead). Take one chapter and dedicate one training sessions to practicing and understanding that one example. You can spend time in training mode to practice it, but it’s best to do it against live opponents.

For example, whiff punishing. A pretty basic idea involving punishing your opponent’s slow whiffed normal/special moves. A good way to practice it would be to set a Ryu training dummy to randomly shift back and forth while doing cr.hk. Adjust the timing and ranges. Then, when you play it back, practice learning to react to it with a sweep or something similar that’s fast enough to punish it. Your goal isn’t to beat the move as it starts, you want to hit Ryu as he’s retracting his leg. Once you nail it, have Ryu do cr.mk instead and practice hitting it. Since the move is faster and has more range, it’ll be more difficult, but it is possible. After that, have him alternate between doing cr.lk, cr.mk, and cr.hk, and learn to identify and react to it. Once you can do that fairly well, you can probably try it against live opponents, and see what kind of results you get.

Keep in mind that not every trick is going to feel natural to you, or it might not even fit your playstyle at all. Regardless, it’s important to understand and TRY each aspect before deciding for yourself whether or not it’s worth investing time to learn, or you can pass it up and try something else.

Players with the best footsies always have an answer, and a good one at that, to the question, “why did I make this move in this situation?”

If you’re doing moves just to do them, you will have bad footsies.

Every move you can make serves a purpose, the trick to good footsies is being able to determine which of those moves to use (and sometimes not to use a move at all) in what situations.