How Does Input During Lag Work?

I’ve had situations against certain players where lag would freeze the game for a handful of seconds. Usually, I come out of this standing like an idiot or just stopping mid-combo to get hit by everything, with no control of my character. The opponent, on the other hand, seems to have done a series of moves, all seemingly deliberate and planned (i.e., not spamming). Does anyone know how the input works when the game lags like this? For me, entering stuff during the freeze doesn’t do anything, so I’m wondering what my opponent is doing and when he’s inputting it.

Okay, I think this is a little over-the-top. Really? Would anyone resort to something like this over a game? While it would explain a lot, I’m hoping for a less… pessimistic explanation.

Seriously, how many people would use this? This didn’t happen only once, only from time to time. So this seems less likely, IMO. Maybe for counterstrike or games like those, but SF4 seems not plausible.

Crazy that something like this exists though!

It happens to me when playing Endless. It’s not always someone doing it intentionally.