How does one define "technical"?

I can honestly say I have no definitive answer to what “technical” means.
I have heard it use to describe characters, games, etc.

Examples include:
-MvC2 Magneto is technical
-3rd Strike is the most technical game out there
-CvS2 is too technical for scrubs

Can anybody let me in on this secret?

cause technically all you have to do is mash cr.lk :coffee:

It’s usually used by someone in reference to a game, or character, you don’t play in an attempt to aggrandise themselves or ‘their’ game…

Its a combination of accessibility mixed with execution

In MVC2 Magento is a technical character, Juggernaut is not
C. Viper is a technical character In MVC3 and SF4.
Its the type of character that pays of well when you put the time in but will generally get you killed if you can’t perform their advanced techniques. Their basic mid to high level game usually revolves around some type of cancel, flight, feint, dash kara etc. or different stances or tight links.
Juggernaut doesn’t have any of this he hits hard has only one super and that super is a fireball motion you cant get less technical than that. Magneto’s “Basic” combo required multiple airdashes and not accidentally doing a different normal move in the middle of the combo.

CVS2 doesn’t share the easy mode design of SF4, i also contained more system feature,that you have to get used to both offensively and defensively. You couldn’t just jump in and play it like street fighter 2 because only one of the six groove played like that. Scrubs stuck to C groove and didn’t even use that to its fullest. The game had Parries, just defends, short jumps, guard counters both running and dashing, dodges, and a super meter that worked differently in every groove.
A- groove combos required a level of execution that made it useless if you didn’t know the combos because you were giving up your level 3.
P- groove was terrible if you weren’t a parrying master considering how slow your bar filled and the lack of options on block
S- Groove gives you a dodge and infinite level ones at low life for basically making your level 3 super unaccessible.
N- groove isn’t street fighter. Its chock full of good stuff but you lose lose dash and air block, It really good once you learn how to use it but until you do Cgroove is much better.
K- groove has a just defend but like P-groove you have no options on block and you meter is on a timer.

And all of that is a description of Pre roll cancel CVS2

Once roll cancelling was discovered everyone had to learn how to do basic special moves all over again. I spent hours and hours in training mode on that game trying to relearn how to throw a hadouken and do charge moves just to try to stay competitive.

not really lol

technical for 3s is different than technical for mvc2. The technicality of mvc2 is so much harder than 3s. Its why you saw justin wong be god like in mvc2\3s and you never saw 3s players be as good as justin in mvc2. 3s players couldn’t handle the step up in skill where as justin playing mvc2 and going to 3s was a step down for him.

technical usually is lots of inputs, hard combos, types of technique in order to play the character and whether or not the character is technical is relative to the game you’re playing.

however 3s yun is technical within 3s but once you start analyzing characters from other games like mvc2 sentinel, yun’s technicality doesn’t really seem technical anymore.

Of or pertaining to technique.

Was that so hard?

Now apply to video games and you have your answer.

(That said, out of the examples the OP listed, “CvS2 is too technical for scrubs” is the only one that isn’t empty blather.)

Yep. All you have to do is open an english dictionary. This is not a situation where the word is used as slang. “Technical” characters or fighters are simply harder to use and master than those that aren’t.

SFIV is less technical than it’s predecessors due to input leniency and huge Reversal windows. C.Viper and characters that rely on 1-frame links could still be considered “technical”. Since it’s a relative thing, there are plenty of games more technical than anything found in SFIV.

SCV doesn’t contain many technical links and punishes due to a 20-frame input buffer. Things like Yoshimitsu’s Instant Manchu Carve Fist (Monkey Steals the Peach) is a technical move, since it requires some obscenely rigid button inputs (Something like “First frame 2A, Release A, Third frame 2B.” What the fuck.)

Hard to execute or non-intuitive. Quantum mechanics is highly technical because it involves specific learned techniques, formulas, etcetera. You have to know the jargon and the strategies.

Guilty Gear’s 1 frame jump could be considered technical, as could SF4’s jump in option select. They revolve around abusing game mechanics to achieve a result that at first might appear awkward.

Executing true 50/50’s can be extremely technical, as can the defensive options people employ to deter mixups (in SF4, throw tech/anti-air OS against divekick/throw mixups).

I would argue that technical characters aren’t necessarily harder than non-technical characters. But a technical character needs to spend more time in training mode, whereas a non-technical character might benefit more from more play time and learning to use already apparent options.