How long was it before you stopped losing?

I don’t really consider myself a new player, but I just can’t stop losing games. Mainly, I play MvC 2, and its so frustrating to lose to people who use low tier characters when you’re using a top tier team. It’s like it just shouldnt happen in MvC 2 ever. Sure, there are some people that I can beat, but it just seems for the most part that everybody I play with, including the ones that don’t even use the top tier teams you would see at tourneys, just has my number. I don’t know, I guess I just keep making really stupid mistakes or something. I would think its safe to say that the only time you should ever get hit is off some type of 50/50 mixup or the like that makes you guess which way to block. Maybe I just need to really improve my defense, because I keep getting hit by people that really aren’t trying to hit me w/ elaborate mixups or the like.

some things to keep in mind…<br><br>1. nobody ever “stops losing”<br>2. you can’t expect to win by virtue of the characters you pick<br>3. MvC2 has been out for 14 years so theres a lot of people with lots of experience already<br>

No one ever stops losing. Not even the big shots you see at the big tournaments.<div><br></div><div>my best advice would be just to play more. The more experience you gain, the better you become. It took me 2 months before I started getting decent on the most recent fighter I picked up; street fighter x tekken, I would get on every night after i finished class work, log in 2-4 hours with my friends in endless, call it a night. I would time to time watch high level play of the game I wanted to get better at and watch how they handled themselves and I would see what I am doing wrong.</div><div><br></div><div>In a nutshell, train in the training room, play alot, watch better players. Most importantly, as cliche as it is, have fun. If it isn’t fun there is no point to it. just remember; this game has been out for a decade and a half. People have been playing this for ages, expect to lose. take your mistakes and learn from them when you lose. </div><div><br></div><div>hopefully I somewaht helped.</div>

You never, ever stop losing.<br><br>Unless you are so much better than your competition that they aren’t even competition anymore.<br><br>And then you’re not really playing anyway.<br>

It’s already been said, nobody ever “stops losing”. And even then, you can say you lost, but ultimately it’s a learning experience. It’s not a TRUE loss if you learn from the match and you know what you did wrong, and work on fixing it. And also as it was said, have fun while you’re playing. Having fun is the main reason you’re playing anyway, so always make sure that it’s your top priority. (Along with winning, of course. That goes without saying.)

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>I stop losing when I play 5 year olds. So if you want to only win play 5 year olds or younger.  Guaranteed wins son!</span></font><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div>

even 5 year olds can win now…
especially in FPS!

since I do not spend that much time online anymore for fighters, plus I also use low tier characters and switched to arcade stick, winning in ranked now is harder than ever.
I am more for endless battle to play sessions of a few games with people.

In ranked matches people are too afraid to play openly, so they create a brick wall you have to brake. I hate that sort of play and it produces low quality gameplay.

I prefer older and more open fighters. One reason I dont play SFIV and SFxTekken that much anymore.

If it’s MvC2, it may take a while. As mentioned, most of the surviving players are hardened vets, so just keep expectations low if you’re just starting out now. If you can get meaningful practice and versus sessions, you will get better in time.

Hang in there, don’t stop studying and improving if you can help it.

As said before, you never “stop losing”.

The better question would be, “When do you start winning?”.

It took me a year before I was able to consistently win in mvc2. And that was after finding a mentor, reading a lot, watching videos, and playing a variety of players. Like everybody else has said, you will never stop losing.

This helps so much. If you have access to a good local scene, you can almost always find someone better than you who’s willing to teach you the finer points of the game. Not sure if it’s possible for there to be a thriving local MvC2 scene anymore, but I suppose you can find someone to mentor you online as well.

Born a winner baby!

“A defeat learned from is more important than an empty victory.”

Look at your losses and figure out why you lost, then work on You never really stop improving.

As for a mentor, both Bretth and Josh360 are beastly at this game still.

…stopped?

Lots of practice and forming an understanding of the play mechanics of a fighting game will get you far. However, if you play against other players, sometimes you’ll just lose. Besides, if you always won, that would be boring. Then you’d find a gremlin on the wing of the airplane. Then you’d find out you were Hitler. Then your wife Eva Braun would peel off her mask, revealing that she’s really a giant fly.

Uh, I really need to stop watching so much Futurama.

Seriously, though, I always wonder if fighting games get boring for the players who know them like the back of their hands. If it’s no longer a challenge, what’s the point?

It’s not just about knowing the game. You also have to learn how to combat other players who also know the game like the back of their hands, and therein lies the challenge. There’s ALWAYS going to be a challenge because there will ALWAYS be players who are always going to push themselves to be better than they were before, and this includes players who win major tournaments.

true. or else people would have stopped playing older games a long time ago, because they thought back then they knew them like the back of their hand.

It took me about 2 to 3 months to perfect my Alpha 2 skills. This was back when I had to go to an arcade to practice. I won a couple tournaments. I quit Alpha 2 after that. I hated Alpha 3 so didn’t bother practicing.

How do you guys know when you are making progress? I practice everyday, but I don’t see a difference.

Practising how long (how long have you been playing the game)? and practising how (training mode? offline matches? online matches?)
Getting better takes time, lots of it. Certainly isn’t going to happen overnight. Those players who seem to win right when a game comes out? They’re either prodigys or more likely, they’ve taken experience from countless other games and have applied what they know to the new game in question.

As for progress, that depends on how you define progress as well. You can spend countless hours mastering a combo, but that’ll be completely useless unless you can land a hit to start the combo (or you’re making a combo video) but hey. once you land that hit you’ll never ever screw it up. you’ve certainly made progress learning that combo even though it doesn’t reflect in matches being won.

Progress can really mean ANYTHING. I think you should set goals for yourself. Some people will say certain goals are good and others are bad. While I agree to a certain degree, I don’t think any goal will hurt you compared to not having a goal at all.

For me, starting ST was tough, the game’s been around for AGES. the best players (even the not so good players) know the game extremely well. I always tell people. When I first started, I had a 3-4 hour session with someone, and having a losing streak of around 70ish games.

Until I got to a point where I thought of myself as “decent” I set goals for myself like this:

Beat x player online casuals, (at all)
beat x player online casuals 20% of the time
Beat x player offline casuals
Beat x player offline casuals 20%…
Place Xth at a tourney

etc…etc… I find that’s probably the best way to measure progress is to simply count and keep track. Have something measurable. If you have goals, finding things that are measurable and keeping your motivation will be easier. And if you reach a goal which you have not accomplished before, then I would consider that progress.

Learning new tech will usually make you a better player. Whether it’s an OS, a combo, a practical setup, etcetera. Or you can focus on being more patient and so on.

It’s not how long you practice, it’s what you practice and what you make a point to change in your gameplay.