How this fighting game mechanic is called?

Well I think everyone knows about simple counterhit (if victim is in frames of delivering own attack and gets hit by opponent during this, he receives more damage that usual, and message similar to “counterhit +10% damage” may appear)

Now, how the mechanic – where victim gets incapacitated (stunned/staggered/juggled, etc, basically becomes open for free hit) when receiving a counterhit-- is called?

I guess some term should already exist for this, so I just check. If not, I need some ideas how to name it.

Counterhit+Stun?

The generic terms are dizzy and/or stun.

Well, I can’t say there’s any specific name for this “effect,” however it’s pretty common among fighters these days that a counter hit offers some form of benefit other than increased damage. Dizzy, stun, stagger and the likes define already existing states, so it’s probably safe just to call this a counter hit. As long as you’re talking to people who know the game in question, they should have no problems understading what you’re talking about…

“Stuns on counterhit”?

Oh I see what he means now. In SFA3, some counter hits leave the victim in a longer hit stun allowing you to get another hit or start juggling them.

Chun smacks jumping ryu’s forward kick with standing light and gets a counter hit.

Ryu is knocked up vertically and up-side down in an “incapacitated” state (can’t tech or recover in air right away)

Chun can follow up with jumping strong or pogo stomp.

If Ryu doesn’t attack and chun smacks him (no counter hit since ryu didn’t attack), he will just fall back and land on his feet. Ground normals can’t be air blocked in A3.

Even on a grounded opponent, a counter hit in a3 can give more properties than just extra damage. Chun’s standing RH can knock an opponent upwards on a counter hit, as opposed to it just knocking the opponent back like a fireball on a regular hit.

I don’t know if there is a specific term for it though other than counter hit.

To be honest, I don’t think the effect can be defined, not in the way we can define things like dizzy, hit-stun, block-stun, reel, stagger and so forth, as it relies solely on the mechanic implimented into the game. Example, some counter hits offer added hit-stun, some offer stagger, some offer wall bounce, etc. They’re all different and any definition depends entirely on which game we’re talking about…

Well this is for my Samurai Shodown site. I write articles about games and so here how it works there:

–2D games–
/SS1-SS6 - counterhit has no other effects aside of increased damage (no frame advantage)
–3D games–
/SS64
*counterhit with any non-weapon attack (punch or kick) results in staggering “solar plexus hit” in a sense that opponent slowly falls to knees and is open for hit, then stands up
*overhead counterhit (against crouching opponent) results in opponent getting smashed into ground, then bouncing back 1 time (moment for free hit/juggle), then plainly falling to ground.
/SSAZ
*counterhit with any non-weapon attack (punch or kick) results in staggering “solar plexus hit” in a sense that opponent collapses (slowly falls to knees and then to the ground), being open for hit all the time
*overhead counterhit (against crouching opponent) results in opponent getting smashed into ground, then bouncing back 1 time (moment for free hit/juggle), then plainly falling to ground.
*game also has system where character automatically stumbles backwards and falls down after backdashing twice in a row - to promote offense-oriented play
/SS:Shinsho (PSX game)
*counterhit with f+Weak Slash (a short-ranged overhead attack) results in staggering “solar plexus hit” in a sense that opponent collapses (slowly falls to knees and then to the ground), being open for hit all the time
*counterhit with any kick results in opponent stumbling backwards, being open for hit
*f+Kick against crouch blocking opponent also results in opponent stumbling backwards, being open for hit. If opponent havent blocked, such kick will knock him to other side of screen like in Last Blade games.

Add there that the 2D games, SSAZ and Shinsho have a “parry” Weapon Deflect that staggers opponent;
Shinsho also sports another kind of parry where character will dodge at the last second and opponent will go through him stumbling (loses balance because his attack missed) and becomes open for hit.

Then, basically which thing I should name with which term?
-I use “Stun” for stuff when character falls down after receiving too much damage, then stands up with blackout or stars above his head and stands like this for few seconds, you get the idea
-I use “Counterhit” for simple counterhit that increases damage of attack
-I use “Stumbling System” for automatic SSAZ gimmick that prevents backdashing twice in a row
-I use “Weapon Deflect” for parry that deflects attack with own one, staggering opponent
-I use “Stumble Forward” for alternative parry that dodges attack, causing opponent to stumble forward

Other than that, I would like to have some set name for all the others “make-an-action-to-incapacitate-opponent”, like

gameAdescription

"NAME"
everything here gives frame advantage and leads to free hit situation:
-this incapacitation can be done with this action
-and another one with this action

gameBdescription

"NAME"
everything here gives frame advantage and leads to free hit situation:
-(same as in game A) this incapacitation can be done with this action
-now it also can be done with different action
-this one is new and can be done with this and this action

Now give me the name

Isn’t this still just an extension of counterhit? Different games have different ways of making them special.

yeah, its just a counter hit

I suggest “counter freeze” as a name for this phenomenon, since it doesn’t seem to have one.

agreed.

all opposed?

first thing to mind was CounterHit-Stun.

im oppose :stuck_out_tongue:
since the effect varies from game, char, and attack

lets just call it counter hit - effect

stuns on CH
staggers on CH
launches on CH
crumples on CH
knockdown on CH
+frames on CH
etc.

Whenever some special property only occurs on a counter hit, it’s just called that property, on CH. It’s just a matter of having a name for that special property, which you already do have. Even if this property is unique and only occurs on counter hit, you just need a name for it and slap “on CH” onto it.

It’s short and to the point, and accurately describes what occurs when that attack lands a counter hit.

I am opposed. I think we need a name that more accurately describes the phenomena. I would like to officially submit the following term to the committee:

“Counter real super-hit backwards stun triple waggy wag-ma jigger.”

Counter real super-hit backwards stun triple waggy wag-ma jigger is clearly a more appropriate term for such game mechanics. Furthermore, anyone who disagrees with me is probably a communist.

I think about “Incapacitating Counterhit” or something among those lines

communist

Just call it a counterhit and specify what particular benefit it has in whatever game you’re discussing.

Crumple?