How to add commentary to Hauppauge HD PVR raw footage?

I’m loving my HD PVR from Hauppage but I’m having serious issues with it.

First of all, I cannot edit the footage in Sony Vegas. If I render footage as mp4, the video track does not appear. If I render it as m2ts or whatever, the footage only appears if I set my xbox resolution to 1080i. 720p, the footage will not appear.

Problem is, if i’m recording extended clips (like 10 mins in length,) Vegas will hang if I try to edit the 1080i clips.

AS a result, I can’t really add commentary to my tournaments post production.

Is there a way to get commentary added to the footage prior to it being converted by the HD PVR? I’ve tried virtual audio cable but I do not know how to configure it to be recognized by the HD PVR.

Wondering how other people go about doing this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

anyone?

record the commentary seperatly.

I don’t know If I can help. Vegas is the only NLE I Don’t have experience with. (My gut tells me that Premiere CS5 might be a better choice)
What is the precise file format (both codec and container) the dvr outputs?

You need an audio mixer.

any suggestions for a moderately priced one? I dont know what exactly i’m looking for from the mixer

any suggestions for a moderately priced one? I dont know what exactly i’m looking for from the mixer

You basically want something where you can take multiple inputs and then output the combined inputs. I think all mixers do this, but you probably want something that lets you control the volume of each input separately (again, I think most mixers have this option, so figure out what you really want).

For example, a quick search on amazon gives me this product. It has several inputs (note that these are the giant mic plugs, so you may or may not need converters), a headphones jack (so you can hear what it’s outputting), and RCA in/out.

Your setup should look something like this:

|---(video)-------------------------------->[HDPVR]---------->[computer]
[console]|                                              /\
         |--(sound)--------------------|                |(audio out)
                                       \/(in)           |
                                    [Mixer]-------------|
                                       /\(in)
[microphone]---------------------------|

Please note that this is all theory and that I have not personally tried this out, but I think it should work.

Were using a behringer we purchased from bhphoto.com for 80 bucks.

just wanted to update so if anyone had a similar issue

these are the products i purchased

Amazon.com: Shure PG48 Vocal Microphone with XLR-to-XLR Cable: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer: Musical Instruments